Sponsored

Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending!

Green_Hornet

Wildtrak
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So confused how this went from a steering rack bushing thread to pages of clamp suggestions, its a clamp replace it and forget about it lol
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bought these from amazon a while back, says they are 7mm.
So harbor freight has metal zip ties that are 7mm and the perfect size. Problem is I just could not get it tight enough.

Apparently there's a little ball bearing in there that as you pull tight it rolls down and keeps it from letting up. Problem is the clamps are being tightened from the bottom so gravity is making the ball go the wrong way until you release and then it gets a little bit of play.

They're only $5 for a whole pack... If I can figure out how to get one on tight it'd be a done deal.

But honestly I kind of like the idea of a worm gear so I can take it back off and inspect new time I want easily. Frankly I'm not quite sure how I'd get one of the metal zip tie versions off.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So confused how this went from a steering rack bushing thread to pages of clamp suggestions, its a clamp replace it and forget about it lol
Incorrect. It started off with a few post about a cheaper alternative.... Then went pages and pages and pages and pages of discussions about BB.... So personally I'd rather talk about the right clamp size than someone's business decisions.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well...technically the clamp is directly related to bushing replacement, and if it were easily replaceable and inexpensive while still sealing well, it would make inspecting the bushings a little easier too.

Willhunt4food

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Firebird; 1981 CJ7; 1990 K5; 2007 Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So did anyone come up with the best clamp to use? My RC bushings will be here tomorrow but I forgot all about the clamp. Need to install before Friday since going to an off-road event.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So did anyone come up with the best clamp to use? My RC bushings will be here tomorrow but I forgot all about the clamp. Need to install before Friday since going to an off-road event.
Gently pry it off with a screwdriver
Re crimp with a pex tool

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This clamp discussion is proof that we can over analyze even the simplest of things

Should have been here back in 2020 when we were getting sneak peeks at the 6G Bronc. 😁

Are they 33s or 35s????? :LOL:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well since over half this thread is already about BB, If you seen his latest video I expect prices are going to go up.

After all, flipping Broncos gets expensive!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You could use the same type of clamp that the factory use with that special tool.

Probably could get away with even a zip tie.

Or you can just use a standard hose clamp for now.

I found some hose clamps that I really wanted to try... Apparently some German vehicles (like Porsche) have a clamp as part of their either CV or air breather... Don't know which.

But there is a clamp out there that is a 9mm wide, 60mm-80mm diam but everywhere I found it either I didn't meet the minimum order price, are they wanted 10 to $15 for shipping.

It is the Norma Torro 60-80 clamp

https://accu-components.com/us/worm...e86TScKD92R900LFpHlkiYBJuaMCYU_xoCzDQQAvD_BwE

https://belmetric.com/w2-steel-7-5mm-9mm-band-norma-torro-clamp/?sku=CR80

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But there is a clamp out there that is a 9mm wide, 60mm-80mm diam but everywhere I found it either I didn't meet the minimum order price, are they wanted 10 to $15 for shipping.

It is the Norma Torro 60-80 clamp

https://accu-components.com/us/worm...e86TScKD92R900LFpHlkiYBJuaMCYU_xoCzDQQAvD_BwE

https://belmetric.com/w2-steel-7-5mm-9mm-band-norma-torro-clamp/?sku=CR80
I ordered the 9mm clamps from Belmetric.. several for the tie rod boots and several for other applications including CV’s/anywhere that uses clamps. Paid around $4 in shipping IIRC. It all came in the other day but haven’t put them on yet.. I’ve got standard width hose clamps on there for now but obviously a little wide for the application

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ordered the 9mm clamps from Belmetric.. several for the tie rod boots and several for other applications including CV’s/anywhere that uses clamps. Paid around $4 in shipping IIRC. It all came in the other day but haven’t put them on yet.. I’ve got standard width hose clamps on there for now but obviously a little wide for the application

Yeah let me know if those work. Maybe take a picture of one sitting in the boot to see if it fits properly.

For me it's $6 for shipping.

So basically I'm paying as much in shipping as I am in clamps and I have to order an extra clamp (3) just to meet their $5 minimum.

I mean it's not the end of the world. But to spend $15 for clamps that I don't know if they actually work... I was still waiting to see what else I could find.

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1 bel metric I posted earlier work fine
First three photos are the bag, pre and post crimp

Last photo is old one I took off and RECRIMPED

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1133
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1130
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1131
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1132
Sponsored