Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I FINALLY took delivery of my Bronco last week and reading up on all the windshield issues I was dreading driving this thing on the highway. We took it to work on Monday, first time, and on the way in…SMACK…I heard it and thought sonofabish I can’t get to work one day without a hit? I checked and it looks like i took a rock hit about 1/4” away from the edge of the glass!

We’ll I was like nope not gonna keep playing this game, yea I have good insurance and it covers rock chips/cracks 100% but not worth the hassle. Went ahead and bought the windshield film from Targe, gonna give it a try. Could totally be wasting my money, falling for the good ol’ snake oil…but I figure I’d try! Fingers crossed!
I used a similar product that I paid 500 for. after 3 months it hazed out and at night it was impossible to drive. took it back to the shop and got a full refund. But still managed to get a rock chip anyway even with the film. I am sure it mitigated it to a degree but the glass they are using nowadays is so thin and cheap. best of luck
Sponsored

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really don't understand how you think a piece of Saran Wrap is going to keep a rock from breaking the windshield.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don't understand how you think a piece of Saran Wrap is going to keep a rock from breaking the windshield.
And yet it does.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's those darn SAS tires that do all the damage. Need to have bigger stones installed on the roads so they can't pick them up.

I had a gravel train throw a large rock at my F-150 in Idaho. I'm glad it hit the windshield instead of the paint. But then, when I got home and washed the truck there are two scratches on the driver door that he got as well. Some touch up paint and $100 for the windshield..good to go.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That sucks. I saw tons of complaining online and sort of dismissed it. I’ve owned old Jeeps for 20 years and the humvee for 3. I thought to myself these babies…they don’t know what it’s like owning such a boxy car.

I took delivery of my bronco last week. It had a few small pinhead sized chips already. I just took my first actual chip today at 126 miles.

Does ford use butter when choosing a material to make the windshields in these things?

Sorry for thinking everyone complaining were babies. Your complaints were valid.
Yea, Ford legitamately used garbage glass in these things. It's pretty embarassing they didn't learn anything from Jeep, who has a Gorilla Glass option for JLs

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I used a similar product that I paid 500 for. after 3 months it hazed out and at night it was impossible to drive. took it back to the shop and got a full refund. But still managed to get a rock chip anyway even with the film. I am sure it mitigated it to a degree but the glass they are using nowadays is so thin and cheap. best of luck
Was the product you used by chance "exoshield"? Been giving that some thought...

I had a nice detailer that either pushed too hard on a chip I didn't know I had (under wiper near where OP had). Or he hit it with too cold of water (not a hot day tho). Ended up with crack on my last bronco that was going to be $850 best price I could find (OEM glass).

But stop sign runner helped me total that one and now thinking about protecting windshield on my second

Last edited:

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am going next week to get it professionally done, I had it done on my Ford Mach-E and love it. However it's not perfect in terms of clarity, not bad but noticeable at first. Note that it still can take damage or tear with strong hits. Also your wipers can scratch the film if not totally clean. The one thing I will would caution is the DYI portion, it's not like installing a screen protector on a phone. It takes practice to get right without bubbles, dust or stretch / placement issues.

I've had mine in for over six months now. I'm happy with it.

It was easy to install myself.
I am going next week to get it professionally done, I had it done on my Ford Mach-E and love it. However it's not perfect in terms of clarity, not bad but noticeable at first. Note that it still can take damage or tear with strong hits. Also your wipers can scratch the film if not totally clean. The one thing I will would caution is the DYI portion, it's not like installing a screen protector on a phone. It takes practice to get right without bubbles, dust or stretch / placement issues.
I found it easy to DIY mine from targe. I did have my wife come help, it definitely helped to have a second pair of hands. I also did it inside my garage, which is very clean. I could see even a garage having too much dust if you do things like woodworking or other projects that create dust in there. I waited until a few hours after I had parked and closed the garage before I actually did the install, in case there was any dust that came in with it, it would have plenty of time to settle. I'm not sure if it was important or not.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've had mine in for over six months now. I'm happy with it.

It was easy to install myself.

I found it easy to DIY mine from targe. I did have my wife come help, it definitely helped to have a second pair of hands. I also did it inside my garage, which is very clean. I could see even a garage having too much dust if you do things like woodworking or other projects that create dust in there. I waited until a few hours after I had parked and closed the garage before I actually did the install, in case there was any dust that came in with it, it would have plenty of time to settle. I'm not sure if it was important or not.
Yea I plan on doing the same, and taking my time. Is the film pretty clear?

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm going to regret this, I'm certain. Wife's 3 series bimmer windshield has 4-5 rock chips in it and needs replacing. My 6g has not 1 yet (pounds on his wooden desk) and I've had it 8 months through a 1/2-billion-dollar interstate widening project only 1/2 way completed that I drive on twice a day.

Sponsored

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea I plan on doing the same, and taking my time. Is the film pretty clear?
Yeah, you can't even tell it's there while you're driving. It's totally invisible. If you look really closely from the outside, you can see the edges at the edge of the windshield, otherwise you wouldn't know.

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Was the product you used by chance "exoshield"? Been giving that some thought...

I had a nice detailer that either pushed too hard on a chip I didn't know I had (under wiper near where OP had). Or he hit it with too cold of water (not a hot day tho). Ended up with crack on my last bronco that was going to be $850 best price I could find (OEM glass).

But young lady helped me total that one and now thinking about protecting windshield on my second
Not sure what the brand it was, but they said they will not be offering windshield protection any more as most products are fading over time. Also the film is susceptible to scratching if you turn on the wipers with no water as the dirt will leave scratches on the film as there is no water to lubricate the wiping surface in the first wipe before water gets on there.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure what the brand it was, but they said they will not be offering windshield protection any more as most products are fading over time. Also the film is susceptible to scratching if you turn on the wipers with no water as the dirt will leave scratches on the film as there is no water to lubricate the wiping surface in the first wipe before water gets on there.
I read that coating the plastic with the coating stuff they give you and switching over to silicone wipers is supposed to reduce the scratches. I’m sure it doesn’t eliminate it 100% but we’ll see.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Stay away from dump trucks, tractor trailers, fenderless, mudflapless tall vehicles.
Every freaking time when they are in front of me, I can hear the front of my car if is like getting sand blasted.

3000 miles no crack but got two tiny chips right in front of me.
When the sun shines at the right angle it reflects pretty bad.

Jay634

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got one small chip early on and hadn't had many issues since until a couple of weeks ago. A flat bed semi passed me late at night which had so much debris flying off of it. It sounded like I was being sand blasted. I hit the brakes immediately to get far enough stay out of his wake and then BAM! Took a huge hit right in driver's side that would have likely busted any windshield. Unfortunately my deductible is $1000, but I did talk to my dealer about performing the windshield adhesive recall in conjunction with the replacement. So I just need to pay for the glass, but the labor and calibration is covered by the recall.
Sponsored