Broncky

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wanted to start a theft prevention thread as I am seeing a big increase in trucks, SUVs being stolen and shipped overseas in my area.

I live in a good area and they seem to be targeting these typos of areas more lately. This isn't your smash and grab type, these are organized criminals getting them into shipping containers within a few hours and eventually heading to West Africa and the Middle East, probably other places too.

Organized theives for the most part seem to steal cars in a few ways.

1) Steal, copy, repeat the signal from your key fob. Best solution is a farady pouch or box, you keep your keys in it and it blocks the signal so they can't steal it. They are readily available and pretty cheap on Amazon.

2) Make a new key from your VIN, I'm not entirely sure on the logistics of this or what devices are required but once they see your vin, displayed on your windshield, they can create a new key. The best way to prevent this from what I understand is to block your vin. I have slid black paper down between the dash and windshield to cover it in the past on other vehicles. This doesn't seem to work on the Bronco, I haven't taken the dash off yet to see why. I assume the vin plate prevents it without taking it off. Technically you are t supposed to, at least where I live but with thefts becoming more common by organized crime the police here are reasonable about it.

Does anyone have a picture of the vin plate with the dash off?

A few other things you can do,

Install a hidden kill switch, this prevents the vehicle from being driven, unless they find the kill switch location and flip the switch. A lot of pickup trucks are doing this now, I also have a Ram 1500 and they are being targeted as well.

Pull a relay or fuse to something like the fuel pump when you leave the car. This is somewhat extreme, but if you know someone has got your vin or something from a security video (sometimes they come the night before to take pictures of the vins at like 2am, come back later with keys and drive them off) this way they can't drive it off unless they bring the fuse or relays, which they don't.

This might sound extreme but at least here in Canada the punishment isn't horrible which makes this an attractive way for these guys to make money.
Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would want the switch location where it disables the start button. Then I can auto start, but won’t fully start and drive. Just don’t know if this would affect the vehicle itself.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every new vehicle I buy, I always buy a Dash Matt. Besides cutting down on glare and protecting your dash from sunlight, they normally cover the VIN. I always have to pull mine back at the smog check place so they can verify the VIN matches the registration.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don’t want a keychain plug.
I hear you but they claim no cars with it have ever been stolen. Not sure how accurate that is but way better than some alarm that deters no one from stealing your vehicle. I mean I guess there is always the Club

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear you but they claim no cars with it have ever been stolen. Not sure how accurate that is but way better than some alarm that deters no one from stealing your vehicle. I mean I guess there is always the Club
Thieves learned to defeat "The Club" and other steering wheel locks decades -- generations! -- ago. They saw a piece off the steering wheel out and slide it off. Some have plate covers which cover the whole wheel, but those can be defeated too.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thieves learned to defeat "The Club" and other steering wheel locks decades -- generations! -- ago. They saw a piece off the steering wheel out and slide it off. Some have plate covers which cover the whole wheel, but those can be defeated too.
Obviously it was a joke

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m planning to hide an AirTag in mine this week. Won’t prevent it from being stolen, but at least I’ll be able to find it. I heard thieves can disable the GPS/modem so it doesn’t show up on your FordPass app. Or they disconnect the battery. The AirTag will stay active if hidden well.

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m planning to hide an AirTag in mine this week. Won’t prevent it from being stolen, but at least I’ll be able to find it. I heard thieves can disable the GPS/modem so it doesn’t show up on your FordPass app. Or they disconnect the battery. The AirTag will stay active if hidden well.
Or use ford pass that works well

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought replacement insurance lol
I was going to say the same thing. I pay enough insurance that if it's stolen it will be replaced, but how long will it take to get another? Ooh that's a whole other can of worms.

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lines are shortening so future may be ok, since I don’t even have it yet lol enough get stolen this would put more pressure on for to fix any issues and implement new security ! If it’s an issue
no one in my neck of the woods has lost one BC Canada Vancouver Island

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. I swear there has to be a way to disable the start button. Then I could auto start and/or if a thief duplicated my fob, the button wouldn’t work when you push it and the brake To actually drive it. Would be a running brick.
Sponsored