Sponsored

This better not be in the Bronco

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Where I see the real issue is a company like FCA or Ford etc. using the data to deny a warranty coverage claim. If they can prove you spent the day doing high speed desert running, or a day in Moab etc. and you have an engine knock etc. they could claim it was due to abuse. Warranty claims are a big line item for a automotive company, that is why there is so much pushback in the Wrangler world. If there is a way to get out of the claim they will take it. This is a way to make actual money selling the data to others, and to save money with warranty work.
This is why I decided against getting a Tesla. The clauses for the Tesla are very specific. If you have a 3 or S Models, your warranty can be voided if you were driving on a dirt road.
Sponsored

mkennedy009

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 110th Anniversary
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well I must be the minority here. I live in the PNW and the amount of crapy drivers just kills me. They really need remedial drivers training. we had one of the insurance plugs and it would beep at you if you applied the brakes too hard. You had the ability to see the summary of your driving, how many times you were over the seed limit. It was useful and made me a better driver. I took the discount and still get it even though the device has been gone now for 5 years. insurance is about risk mitigation for both parties

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think a lot of people will have a hard time understanding what’s going on in this thread .

I would buy an old bronco but it’s 100,000, maybe an Fj 40 oh it’s 75,000. Maybe an old Jeep but I am sure it’s pricey as well. Nope, old jeeps are pretty cheap. I guess they really don’t hold there value after decades Like Toyota and ford.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Every Ford 2020 and up will have it. It is "technically" optional, but if you opt out, the government and other third parties Ford has agreements with still have the ability to track you. You can uninstall the modem though. Warranty claims will come from the vehicles recorder, not the Telematics device. If this worries you, just wait to see what's around the corner. It's concerning to say the least.

pacsun82

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 Supercrew 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been pretty close to the telematics business and insurance for several years. Just my perspective. #1 most of this data has been available and used in one form or another since OBDII. There are privacy laws and restrictions on use of the data already in place, but it is already very out there with every manufacturer. 2. Ford will sell the data to your insurance company if you opt in. Insurance companies have also been involved in this, through apps and phones for years. Progressive has the most successful program, but many others offer it. This will just be another data source. 3. Every manufacturer has some version of this program running and will use it. From what I have seen, they are being cautious with privacy and it’s probably much less invasive then what the tech companies do with the data we provide now through our phones and computers.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny that this popped up. All of my vehicles are old enough that there is no modem or data link back to anyone, and I've been wondering for months now if I'll be able to unplug whatever "spy" module they have installed to keep it from reporting back to big brother

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unfortunately (or fortunately) - arguments both ways - this tech is here to stay.

I think it will take some time before commonplace use of auto telemetry to affect your daily life or driving habits (speed limited in some areas, used in every auto crash) but it is certainly used in some instances. At some point, we'll probably have mandated assisted driving features/self driving with forward facing cameras, etc.

What gets me is we've been living in 1984 for a long time...just look at social media and traditional media. What you are allowed to say and not say without warnings, etc.

Funny thing is in russia - dash cams have been mandated for ages if you want insurance due to all the false claims :)

bigsky713

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Ford Bronco / 2002 Ford Super Duty 7.3 PS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Apparently in '20-21 Fords, they're gonna monitor you, for "Insurance" purposes

What is this, 1984? This kinda shit is worse than ASS and all the other bs they force us to deal with
Unfortunately this is just the beginning of the nanny state. These systems are all over private industry where they use fleet vehicles from tractor trailers, to delivery vehicle and so on.
Imagine what governments will attempt to do with this information. Getting taxed for exceeding or for the amount of mileage you drive every year. It really gets creepy where this technology can go. 1984 fully realized by 2020.

Pdiddy22

Badlands
First Name
Pdiddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am currently on day 72 of a 90 day evaluation of my driving with Liberty insurance right track.
I drive like an old man (I am an old man) and knew I could save money when compared to the average driver. Currently projected to save $112 on the next billing cycle.
All the device measures is rapid starts, rapid stops and amount of night driving.

Sponsored

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am currently on day 72 of a 90 day evaluation of my driving with Liberty insurance right track.
I drive like an old man (I am an old man) and knew I could save money when compared to the average driver. Currently projected to save $112 on the next billing cycle.
All the device measures is rapid starts, rapid stops and amount of night driving.
So your privacy is worth $112.

Anyway our phones are tracking us much more than our cars ever will.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As for your current car sharing info, ONLY if you have it in Fordpass, or if not a Ford it has to be connected to the net in some way. Otherwise the onboard recorder normally stores only the last 30 seconds of live info, and keeps fault codes until cleared, Police and insurance company's have access to that info in case of a accident. If you are worried do not register your Bronco in Fordpass. Repo company's just love this tech, makes it easy to pick up the vehicle if needed.

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This has always worried me. OnStar, Fordpass, Progresive... Anything that is tattletaling on my driving habits is a killer. I have nothing in my house that listens in to every word, Siri is turned off on every phone and I try my best to use Onion browsers for internet surfing and even have an old empty phone I use for social media so nothing to track like all your pictures. If you take a picture of your license than facebook has all your info as its systems scans documents it has access to... Again, I know you cannot stop it but I certainly do not have to hand it over to them to sell to everyone else... I TRY TO AVOND ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH GOOGLE AND FACEBOOK AND IF FORD HARDCODES ANY DRIVING INFO FROM THE VEHICLE THAN SELLS/DOWNLOADS IT TO OTHER COMPANIES, I WOULD PASS ON THE A NEW BRONCO.
Sponsored