Sponsored

Time to convert to 2023MY! Mistakes made, if you could start all over, what would you do different?

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered a Base and have zero regrets. I have no use for all the amenities found on the higher trims, and going with a Base definitely sped things up. I ordered on 1/29/22 and it was delivered yesterday.

Going with a Base means I can customize it the way I want it. It's easier to "toss" the factory Base steelies and plastic bumpers than it is the stuff from the higher trims. As for the lack of lockers, one can simply add much stronger air lockers that address the problem of faulty wheel sensors blocking electronic lockers from working and leaving you stranded miles from the road. If you plan to do a lot of customizing, build on the Base platform.
simply add
What’s the cost for air lockers?
install cost?
And the compressor
The only thing simple is spending the money to add them

I’ve installed my share of lockers, gears and compressors. But I admit it’s been 10 years and it was on much more difficult Dana 60’s and 14 bolts that this easy to get to stuff under the 2021 bronco
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arrowbear Rider

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, I'd ask that cute girl out back in high school. I'd work my ass off as a teenager, save money, invest in
I've played that game and I go a lot farther back, do similar, but starting way earlier. I'd have that college degree by 18 and I'd have 400 plus car collection too... At least.

Got to drive a Black Diamond at the "Drive the Bronco" event. Loved everything about it except the MGV seats.
That is the very reason I remembered why I didn't look at the package more closely, I like cloth seats on a hot summer day. While not as hot as where you live, it can be plenty hot this time of year.

simply add
install cost?
And the compressor
Exactly, I went to local shop and it was over $2,000 parts and labor maybe $2,200 quick guesstimate, for the rear air locker and he didn't include the compressor and lines.

Bremre

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't have a Bronco yet but plan to order when the order banks open for the 23 model. I will be ordering every single option and getting the Wildtrak. I cheaped out on my last car and regretted it ever since. This time I will make sure I am getting everything I want.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I put in a reservation in aug of 2020 and I am sure what ever you order you get it before me but I am going change mine from BB to WT

Sponsored

bhb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really like our build - Black Diamond is all we need for a weekend toddler hauler, plenty of capability for occasional offroading fun and snow.

Our original build was sas and hard top, which I removed to speed up the build I'm glad I did - easy trade off for more time with the truck.

In retrospect, I should have kept the hard top, knowing how hard they are to get at this point.

Sasquath would have been cool for street cred, but in all reality, there isn't a trail within a few hundred miles that needs it, and I'm not 100% sure sas would fit in my early 1900's garage. I'll probably do slightly bigger wheels at some point anyway.

Glad we stuck with 2.7T .... just because.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
simply add
install cost?
And the compressor
I would have had to spend probably $5K to jump from a Base to a Big Bend just to get a locker. An air locker will be cheaper than that, and a lot stronger (6# holding pressure for electric vs. 800# for air), and it will still work if a wheel sensor fails.

ed_Rocket

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 fastbac, 69, 70 scout, 22 bronco.....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took the opposite approach. Just order every damn thing and then you never have to worry about what if. 😎
Perfectly said.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered a Base and have zero regrets. I have no use for all the amenities found on the higher trims, and going with a Base definitely sped things up.
Pretty much this. I wanted maximum 4x4 capabilities and nothing else. So a Base 2-door Sasquatch is exactly what I was after.

I spent about $900 for four options. It would have been five with the sound deadening, but Ford tossed that in for free to help make up for the long wait. I had to pay extra for the red paint because for some reason the brighter Race Red was not available on the Base or First Edition. Why? Other options were a roof rack, rubber floor mats, and keypad entry. I needed all of those. I would have ordered the towing package, but Ford wouldn't let me do that either. Glad I didn't order mudflaps, because the WeatherTech ones cost about half as much.

I spend a lot of time up in the hills and I'm happy with my Bronco as I ordered it.

nTnh0Wu.jpg

OP
OP
Arrowbear Rider

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would have had to spend probably $5K to jump from a Base to a Big Bend just to get a locker. An air locker will be cheaper than that, and a lot stronger (6# holding pressure for electric vs. 800# for air), and it will still work if a wheel sensor fails.
That's a very good point. Many of us didn't know of any wheel senor fails last year, we were looking at the factory warranty on the factory parts. The wheel sensor problem is something I should consider and I would be interested if someone knew the out the door cost on the whole system including the compressor. The compressor can be used for air back up too. Right?

As posted above, I went to a shop and I was adding up the cost and it seemed to me to get both front and rear locker and match the improvement in axles it was close to the cost of adding Sasquatch, and the warranty was a plus.

Do we need to worry about problems with the wheel sensors?

A base with the right stuff would be fun and may be cheaper if I knew what I was doing.

Do I know what I'm doing?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Arrowbear Rider

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wanted maximum 4x4 capabilities and nothing else. So a Base 2-door Sasquatch is exactly what I was after.
You for got the manual... J/K but other than I had roof rack and switches.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's a very good point. Many of us didn't know of any wheel senor fails last year, we were looking at the factory warranty on the factory parts. The wheel sensor problem is something I should consider and I would be interested if someone knew the out the door cost on the whole system including the compressor. The compressor can be used for air back up too. Right?

As posted above, I went to a shop and I was adding up the cost and it seemed to me to get both front and rear locker and match the improvement in axles it was close to the cost of adding Sasquatch, and the warranty was a plus.

Do we need to worry about problems with the wheel sensors?

A base with the right stuff would be fun and may be cheaper if I knew what I was doing.

Do I know what I'm doing?
Too be quite honest, at this time, I doubt I take the Bronco out anywhere super remote. But I have read threads on this site where people have discussed a shortcoming where a damaged wheel speed sensor will kick off lockers -- or was it even worse and it kicks off 4-wheel drive entirely? I can't remember.

I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price increase between Base and Big Bend just for a locker and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Sasquatch was a no-go for me for two reasons -- the most important was that it would have extended my wait considerably, and the second was that I really had no need for 35" tires. If I'd have went Sasquatch, I probably would have swapped on the same 33" tires I'm putting on my Base anyway.

I was planning to add my own locker sometime anyway, but I had great fortune of winning ARB's air locker giveaway right here on this site (it arrived today via FedEx), so that cut my costs considerably!
Sponsored