Sponsored

To Sasquatch or not to Sasquatch, lots of Cons!

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
base squatch 2.3 for me ?. I’ve been a mechanic for 11 years and have replaced more ford twin turbo’s than I’ve ever wanted to do. I do all my own work and I am not buying and replacing 2 turbos when they fail, and they will fail. Single turbo all the way for me, replace that turbo when it fails or warranty is up to a bigger turbo and push it to 350rwhp and call it day, or just normal upgrades with a tune can probably get me close enough. How much more do you need for an off road vehicle? Even on the street that’s more than enough with squatch.
Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve rode MTRs, MT MTZs and Bfg muds and all were just fine in inclement weather. Not sure where this notion comes fror that the stink in the wet.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They go boldly and look awesome standing in the Target parking lot amongst the little quiet little red riding hoods?
Race Red or Rapid Red?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I LOVE the Sasquatch look with 35" MT tires! The proportions are great, BUT, since my initial infatuation, my desire has shifted toward 33" AT tires, standard on Badlands. Hard core rock crawler(?), then Sasquatch makes sense, if you're like me, you want Sasquatch for the cool factor. After reading about the 35" beadlocks, I thought I'd list the negatives that have me wanting the 33s.

35" MT tires w/beadlock rim CONS:

1) It's loud! - I had a 94 Def 90 with MT tires and was loud as crap, also had 95 Def 90 with AT, less loud but still loud. I have not lived with 35" mud terrains that come w/Sasquatch, but I imagine they will be louder than a fleet of 747s rolling down the highway. Sasquatch 35s are Mud Terrains.

2) Sucks gas - The weight and friction of 35", 315 MT tires will probably increase fuel consumption 10%.

3) Expensive - Replacing 35" tires costs a lot.

4) Hard to find - Buying replacements may be difficult relative to 32s or 33s.

5) Beadlock rims require maintainance - Beadlocks need to have bolts tightened and adjusted regularly. Tire swapping and maintenance will be difficult as many places won't be comfortable doing this work. I'm not big on maintaining things, so this is a pain for me.

6) It's heavy! - I've raced mountain bikes and understand how much seemingly small weight changes affect rolling interita. Those heavy 35" tires plus heavy rims need a lot more torque to get them rolling relative to lighter 32 and 33 setups.

7) Stress - Extra weight and moment of 35" tires puts a lot more stress on the axels and differentials. This is one reason that adding the Dana 210 front end axel option should be obligatory when putting Sasquatch on lower trims.

Agree or disagree?

I bet most people considering Sasquatch are like me and have NEVER DRIVEN 35s.
Ford should offer a 33" Sasquatch option!
Thanks for the post! This is one of the topics I think a lot of newbies are overlooking.
The big boy tires and rims do look super cool, but unless you're rock crawling or off roading constantly, it's really excessive and overkill.
I also read an article that also said MT tires are also worse on the road in wet/inclimate weather as far as grip.

I'm sticking with the 32's on the BD.

Sponsored

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the post! This is one of the topics I think a lot of newbies are overlooking.
The big boy tires and rims do look super cool, but unless you're rock crawling or off roading constantly, it's really excessive and overkill.
I also read an article that also said MT tires are also worse on the road in wet/inclimate weather as far as grip.

I'm sticking with the 32's on the BD.
Goodyear Territory MT is not a mud terrain tire it is a MAX TRACTION tire. Confusing, yes, but that’s Goodyear for you.

Regardless, I’m hoping the BFG KO2’s or the Falken AT3 tires will be an option with Sasquatch.

kboom180

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From a design perspective, it's pretty obvious that Ford created this vehicle for 35" tires. They fit both the 2 door and especially 4 door perfectly. Aesthetically, the 4 door squatch is probably the best looking. As someone whose dollar stretches only to the base, those 16" steelies, while they give a bit of a vintage rover look, definitely do not follow the overall lines.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
From a design perspective, it's pretty obvious that Ford created this vehicle for 35" tires. They fit both the 2 door and especially 4 door perfectly. Aesthetically, the 4 door squatch is probably the best looking. As someone whose dollar stretches only to the base, those 16" steelies, while they give a bit of a vintage rover look, definitely do not follow the overall lines.
I would agree on the 4 door Bronco. Or at least, to my eye the 35" tires look good on the 4 door Wrangler. Anything smaller than 33" on the 4 door Wrangler tends to look too small for the wheel wells. Might be similar situation with the new 4 door Bronco. I probably wouldn't want to go lesser than 33".

On the other hand, one in-person report here on 6g from last month, indicated the 2-door Bronco looked better with 33" tires. The guy viewing in-person said the 35" were a bit large and looked over the top. Personal preference will rule the day for the individual owner, but I think 33" will be the ticket for the 2-door.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I LOVE the Sasquatch look with 35" MT tires! The proportions are great, BUT, since my initial infatuation, my desire has shifted toward 33" AT tires, standard on Badlands. Hard core rock crawler(?), then Sasquatch makes sense, if you're like me, you want Sasquatch for the cool factor. After reading about the 35" beadlocks, I thought I'd list the negatives that have me wanting the 33s.

35" MT tires w/beadlock rim CONS:

1) It's loud! - I had a 94 Def 90 with MT tires and was loud as crap, also had 95 Def 90 with AT, less loud but still loud. I have not lived with 35" mud terrains that come w/Sasquatch, but I imagine they will be louder than a fleet of 747s rolling down the highway. Sasquatch 35s are Mud Terrains.

2) Sucks gas - The weight and friction of 35", 315 MT tires will probably increase fuel consumption 10%.

3) Expensive - Replacing 35" tires costs a lot.

4) Hard to find - Buying replacements may be difficult relative to 32s or 33s.

5) Beadlock rims require maintainance - Beadlocks need to have bolts tightened and adjusted regularly. Tire swapping and maintenance will be difficult as many places won't be comfortable doing this work. I'm not big on maintaining things, so this is a pain for me.

6) It's heavy! - I've raced mountain bikes and understand how much seemingly small weight changes affect rolling interita. Those heavy 35" tires plus heavy rims need a lot more torque to get them rolling relative to lighter 32 and 33 setups.

7) Stress - Extra weight and moment of 35" tires puts a lot more stress on the axels and differentials. This is one reason that adding the Dana 210 front end axel option should be obligatory when putting Sasquatch on lower trims.

Agree or disagree?

I bet most people considering Sasquatch are like me and have NEVER DRIVEN 35s.
Ford should offer a 33" Sasquatch option!
beadlock capable wheels come mounted like traditional tires. If you want the beadlocks on you have to remount the tires on the outside and put the beadlocks on. If you don’t do that, they should be the same as any other tire.

i agree with the rest though....but damn the look of them!! I am contemplating the same though...also you missed a big one....

8) at this time, you can’t get MT with the Squatch (edit: now you can, although not with the 2.7 unfortunately)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2-Door Badlands 2.3T/7M vs. 2-Door Badlands/FE 2.7TT/10A is my dilemma.

2-Door Badlands 2.3t/7M gets you a 4.7 axle so it's perfect for bigger tires later.

I actually wish the 35's weren't so wide. I think that's why they look a little odd on the 2-door.

And it's technically only 1.7 inches taller (35's vs. 33's)

Ford Bronco To Sasquatch or not to Sasquatch, lots of Cons! 1600106014992

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve rode MTRs, MT MTZs and Bfg muds and all were just fine in inclement weather. Not sure where this notion comes fror that the stink in the wet.
Agree. I’ve had many, many different tires in the past 25 years. My current tires are 285/70/17 Cooper STT Pro and they are by far the best tires I’ve ever had on wet pavement. Especially deep water. So far I can’t make them hydroplane.

OP
OP
Cheshire

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
2-Door Badlands 2.3T/7M vs. 2-Door Badlands/FE 2.7TT/10A is my dilemma.

2-Door Badlands 2.3t/7M gets you a 4.7 axle so it's perfect for bigger tires later.

I actually wish the 35's weren't so wide. I think that's why they look a little odd on the 2-door.

And it's technically only 1.7 inches taller (35's vs. 33's)

Ford Bronco To Sasquatch or not to Sasquatch, lots of Cons! 1600106014992
Badlands 2.7 is so good

OP
OP
Cheshire

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
beadlock capable wheels come mounted like traditional tires. If you want the beadlocks on you have to remount the tires on the outside and put the beadlocks on. If you don’t do that, they should be the same as any other tire.

i agree with the rest though....but damn the look of them!! I am contemplating the same though...also you missed a big one....

8) at this time, you can’t get MT with the Squatch
I'm contemplating too, makes your head spin!

aaddaamm

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lyon L'Avecaise
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think this is the first I've seen mentioned what I've been thinking all along. Bronco is for me a finally available modern non-Wrangler option to the Defender I dreamed about my entire childhood. I absolutely love the refined quietly capable look of an old English farm vehicle Defender and the 2-door Base w/ steelies really resonates with me for that reason. I think I'll go Sasquatch for all the other upgrades and I think it will make it a more desirable truck way down the line, but from looks alone I'd rather be on silver steelies and a 31-33" tire. So maybe I'll be able to "downgrade" at delivery or do it aftermarket. I also want it in white so I realize I'm basically recreating another infamous Bronco I have ingrained in my memory from childhood.
Sponsored

Last edited: