Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're in the wrong forum for that. This is the land of armchair off road Kings of the Hammers.
Whatever it is you plan to do , you are either wrong for doing it or doing it wrong anyways.
wrong-drumpf.gif
Sponsored

Mikerkelly

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In defense of the OP I too had this question and couldn't find an answer.
I was on some trails with sections of crawling that required 4L with flat sections in between that I would put it back into 4H for.

I wasn't sure if it was okay to go faster in 4L....and by faster I mean 15mph-20mph.

I kept 4L under 10mph but it would have been more convenient if I didn't have to constantly stop and switch the transmission to N in order to go between 4L and 4H.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hmmm, one of my "go to's" when I'm getting excessive wheel spin is shift into low and it seems to usually help.
The explanation I had heard was something to the effect of it slowing the delivery of the torque, albeit there will be much more available.
I'm not saying it's correct, I really don't know the particulars. I know what has worked for me in the past though.
Old Ford owners manuals suggested starting in second in slippery conditions. :unsure:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was on some trails with sections of crawling that required 4L with flat sections in between that I would put it back into 4H for.

I wasn't sure if it was okay to go faster in 4L....and by faster I mean 15mph-20mph.

I kept 4L under 10mph but it would have been more convenient if I didn't have to constantly stop and switch the transmission to N in order to go between 4L and 4H.
That's why Ford gave us an almost functional tachometer! Just keep it under the rpm you're comfortable with.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man you’re very insistent on your why. Because I’m in Buffalo and we have 4 feet of snow. So I was gonna use four-wheel-drive low and I wasn’t sure how much how Fast I can go. Does that explain everything? Are you OK with that?
No….sorry, drive your Bronco in 4H unless you only want to go 10 to 15 MPH. There is no advantage to driving in 4L if you want to go speeds available in 4H.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for doing the math for us. But The broncos won’t shift pass 7th in 4 low. About 30 is top speed
do the electronic nannies limit the 7-speed sticks to that as well?
(i know i've exceeded that in 4L in my old land rover with a 5 speed stick)

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Use your tachometer and don’t go over an RPM you’re not comfortable with.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Look, I asked a simple question because of the amount of snow that we’ve had over the past couple days. I’m not looking to go to 50 miles an hour, but I wasn’t sure I could even go over 30 miles an hour. I’m not looking abuse the vehicle ,I don’t plan on staying in 4L. I didn’t realize this would become a controversy over me abusing the vehicle or trying to get crappy gas mileage. Thank you all over you that it contributed with a reasonable answer. Let’s end this now
live in snow country as well. Sometimes it's all about deaccellerattion using the engine. Controlled slowing instead of braking. For those of us who learned to drive in adverse weather without nannies, it's a thing...

Reactions: 0ne

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In 4 low couldn’t get it to shift higher than 7th gear was like 9 or 10 mph.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
live in snow country as well. Sometimes it's all about deaccellerattion using the engine. Controlled slowing instead of braking. For those of us who learned to drive in adverse weather without nannies, it's a thing...
Abs will decel you more controllably and safely than engine braking.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Look, I asked a simple question because of the amount of snow that we’ve had over the past couple days. I’m not looking to go to 50 miles an hour, but I wasn’t sure I could even go over 30 miles an hour. I’m not looking abuse the vehicle ,I don’t plan on staying in 4L. I didn’t realize this would become a controversy over me abusing the vehicle or trying to get crappy gas mileage. Thank you all over you that it contributed with a reasonable answer. Let’s end this now
Don't worry about crybaby's whining about blowing up your rig. I fully understand why you are asking. One minute you could be in 3 feet of snow, then the next on a plowed road you may want to do 20-40 even, then right back into a 3-4 foot unplowed side street.

Switching back and forth between low/hi that much would be a PIA. It happens in some of our offroad parks. You run really hard trails, but run super easy main trails between them. Sometimes you just like to leave it in low between the trails, especially if even one locker is on, as you could be all bound up, trying to go back and forth a lot.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No….sorry, drive your Bronco in 4H unless you only want to go 10 to 15 MPH. There is no advantage to driving in 4L if you want to go speeds available in 4H.
Thinking back to 1967 and my original 1950 CJ3A(Willys Jeep)…. I think it had something like 65 HP. Driving in the deep dry sand in the river beds (Southern Arizona), there wasn’t enough HP to move it in 4H, even in first 1st gear. So, there was a reason to run in 4L at high engine RPM. God, it made that great original Jeep sound!

The Bronco has 300 HP so you are not forced to run in low range. Shifting from Low to High in the Willys also required a nearly complete stop.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thinking back to 1967 and my original 1950 CJ3A(Willys Jeep)…. I think it had something like 65 HP. Driving in the deep dry sand in the river beds (Southern Arizona), there wasn’t enough HP to move it in 4H, even in first 1st gear. So, there was a reason to run in 4L at high engine RPM. God, it made that great original Jeep sound!

The Bronco has 300 HP so you are not forced to run in low range. Shifting from Low to High in the Willys also required a nearly complete stop.
Shifting between Lo and Hi in the Bronco requires a complete stop. If you are in a situation where Lo is needed some of the time, it is fine to run it that way. The Rev limiter works just as well in Lo as it does in Hi, so don’t sweat it. Besides, unless I missed it, OP never said anything about “if I bypass the Rev limiter, down a super steep hill, on the Salt Flats, with a rocket mounted to the back…”

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for doing the math for us. But The broncos won’t shift pass 7th in 4 low. About 30 is top speed
I was wondering about that, because I knew that it was either 6th or 7th that I had seen as the top gear in 4L. If you want to be going faster than about 25 mph, you should be in one of the high choices anyway.
Sponsored