First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
In an old 1st gen 5 speed Ford Explorer I had to use 4lo on a very slick and steep major roadway because using the brakes meant immediate sliding and when the worst was past I couldn’t safely stop to switch out so I probably got it up to about 50mph in overdrive and while the engine was tached out and I could feel the drivetrain’s disappointment nothing exploded or was worse for the wear.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you are thinking about top speed in 4L then you shouldn't be in 4L. Unless you want to start breaking stuff.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Constant high RPM, engine oil temp, turbo temp.
If something let loose when you are doing 30 down the road in 4L I think dealer would put it under abuse.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Man you’re very insistent on your why. Because I’m in Buffalo and we have 4 feet of snow. So I was gonna use four-wheel-drive low and I wasn’t sure how much how Fast I can go. Does that explain everything? Are you OK with that?
Wow…………….

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Constant high RPM, engine oil temp, turbo temp.
If something let loose when you are doing 30 down the road in 4L I think dealer would put it under abuse.
Yup……. Blow it up…. Its not mine.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

L
Same reason you can do a burn out in first but not second. Gear reduction multiplies torque, torque twists things twisting drive train spins tires, spinning tires don't go in snow. Slippery mode shifts to a higher gear earlier to minimize wheel spin.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Let me just say...what a bunch of nannies...these thing are so electrically limited it is nearly impossible to over rev/speed them...sometimes ya do actually need extra power to the wheels...sand and mud spring immediately to mind.

OP
OP
Broncobreath

Broncobreath

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Look, I asked a simple question because of the amount of snow that we’ve had over the past couple days. I’m not looking to go to 50 miles an hour, but I wasn’t sure I could even go over 30 miles an hour. I’m not looking abuse the vehicle ,I don’t plan on staying in 4L. I didn’t realize this would become a controversy over me abusing the vehicle or trying to get crappy gas mileage. Thank you all over you that it contributed with a reasonable answer. Let’s end this now

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I'm hearing is the manual is faster than the auto. 😁
That’s what I’m hearing too - now we’ve got to go try it tomorrow, TD, and see if we can beat 39!

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look, I asked a simple question because of the amount of snow that we’ve had over the past couple days. I’m not looking to go to 50 miles an hour, but I wasn’t sure I could even go over 30 miles an hour. I’m not looking abuse the vehicle ,I don’t plan on staying in 4L. I didn’t realize this would become a controversy over me abusing the vehicle or trying to get crappy gas mileage. Thank you all over you that it contributed with a reasonable answer. Let’s end this now
I thought it was a good question, just ignore the trolls.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let’s end this now
You're in the wrong forum for that. This is the land of armchair off road Kings of the Hammers.
Whatever it is you plan to do , you are either wrong for doing it or doing it wrong anyways.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a side note. Generally in low traction situations you're better off in high range unless you need more power.
Hmmm, one of my "go to's" when I'm getting excessive wheel spin is shift into low and it seems to usually help.
The explanation I had heard was something to the effect of it slowing the delivery of the torque, albeit there will be much more available.
I'm not saying it's correct, I really don't know the particulars. I know what has worked for me in the past though.
Sponsored