Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the 4-pin connection activate it or does it require the 7-pin to be plugged in?
I am not sure about the factory tow package but I do know when I connected a trailer to my 4 Pin dealer installed accessory Ford hitch/wiring harness, it deactivated things like lane keep assist, etc. So the dealers are doing more than just wiring it into the brake/taillights, which they should for the amount i paid for the wiring harness labor.

Also, the above isn't quite true. I actually plugged my trailer into a 7-pin adaptor harness that I installed myself to the dealer installed 4-pin... Right now, that seems to be our only option since the dealer doesn't have at least a Ford accessory part 7-pin harness. Obviously I am not running a full 7 pin since it is only carrying info for lights (that it converts from 4-pin). So for any one reading this that is on the fence about removing your factory optioned tow package, if you think you will be doing any towing, dont. Dealing with getting my non optioned tow package up to speed to tow has been an absolute nightmare and cost me alot more time and money, especially since I am not so sure it even helped speed up my build.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am not sure about the factory tow package but I do know when I connected a trailer to my 4 Pin dealer installed accessory Ford hitch/wiring harness, it deactivated things like lane keep assist, etc. So the dealers are doing more than just wiring it into the brake/taillights, which they should for the amount i paid for the wiring harness labor.

I actually plugged my trailer into a 7-pin adaptor harness that I installed myself to the dealer installed 4-pin... Right now, that seems to be our only option since the dealer doesn't have at least a Ford accessory part 7-pin harness.
The lighting system is different than older ones and you cannot tap into the lights. It's a whole different harness. So yes, you're certainly getting more than that for the money they charged you.And so far there is no such thing as a 7-pin harness for this vehicle.

pmi3

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm especially curious on how to get a Bronco without the factory tow package to recognize it has a trailer connected to it like you describe.

Do you know if your dealer followed these instructions? Or did any extra programming? https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...files/SKFT1J_15A416_AD_Bronco_Trailer_Tow.pdf

I ordered the Curt harness and hoping that when I attach a trailer, BLIS will deactivate along with reverse sensors like yours, ect.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm especially curious on how to get a Bronco without the factory tow package to recognize it has a trailer connected to it like you describe.

Do you know if your dealer followed these instructions? Or did any extra programming? https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...files/SKFT1J_15A416_AD_Bronco_Trailer_Tow.pdf

I ordered the Curt harness and hoping that when I attach a trailer, BLIS will deactivate along with reverse sensors like yours, ect.
Interesting. I hadn't seen these instructions before. I would say it appears they did as I found the wire the instructions indicate along the same path and similar main battery connection. Not sure about other connections. This also fits their description that the install is more complicated due to all the panels they had to remove and different harnesses they had to tap into. However, I also later found out my brake lights are not working properly so will be returning it for them to evaluate.

Last edited:

pmi3

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting. I hadn't seen these instructions before but I would say it appears they did as I found the wire the instructions indicate following this same path and atlerast connecting to the battery in same place described. Not sure about other connections. I would say it is a high probability they did follow them as they indicated it is more complicated due to all the panels they had to remove and different harnesses they had to tap into. However, I also later found out my brake lights are not working properly so will be returning it for them to evaluate.
Good to know. If possible it would be great if you could ask them about how they enabled trailer detection - alot of others would appreciate that knowledge. Good luck getting those lights fixed.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ran across this thread. I have the Curt harness and was going to install it tomorrow, but paused wondering if the Ford 4 pin harness would enable trailer detection. However, if you read the PDF above, it states on page 17 of 17 the following.

Ford Bronco Tow Package? Screenshot 2022-03-19 193408

Based on that, the Ford harness wouldn't have an advance over the Curt. Anyone else install the Ford harness and see anything different?

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do they have a trailer wiring harness that you don’t have to connect to the battery yet or one that works for base taillights.

pmi3

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I ran across this thread. I have the Curt harness and was going to install it tomorrow, but paused wondering if the Ford 4 pin harness would enable trailer detection. However, if you read the PDF above, it states on page 17 of 17 the following.

Ford Bronco Tow Package? Screenshot 2022-03-19 193408

Based on that, the Ford harness wouldn't have an advance over the Curt. Anyone else install the Ford harness and see anything different?
That's what I would expect, but according to this post, trailer detection seems possible with a 4 pin kit https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tow-package.34280/post-1187621

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Eddie G-man

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/1988 911 cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For those still deciding…

The primary benefit of the tow package is the 7-pin connector, compatibility with a trailer brake controller, and some integrations with the vehicle safety systems. Note the trailer brake controller itself does not come with the Bronco, but it’s easy to add one on with the tow package. You still have to take apart and drill a hole into center console for the gain knob to install it, but it’s relatively easy.

if you have no intention on ever installing a trailer brake controller, I would drop the tow package and get the following:
You can either install them yourself or have your dealer do it. And if you pay for it with your FordPass points it becomes cheaper than the tow package. You may even be able to have your dealer wave the installation fee—they also have a vested interest in getting your Bronco built and sold to you.

Now you may be asking to yourself… do I need a trailer brake controller?

That depends on many factors. In most states, you do not need trailer brakes until you tow above 3000 lbs. The Bronco’s max tow rating is 3500 lbs, but if you load the Bronco itself up with additional gear, that tow rating drops to around 3000-3100 lbs.

So while the answer is,”it depends”, I can make generalizations….
  • If you are towing a marine trailer for a boat, jet skis, etc. the answer is NO. Marine trailers almost always have passive surge brakes that do not require a brake controller.
  • If you are towing a utility trailer, the answer is NO. The vast majority of utility trailers small enough for the Bronco to tow will either have no brakes or surge brakes.
  • If you are towing a pop-up camper, teardrop trailer, or other small camper, the answer is PROBABLY NOT. You can buy these trailers with electric brakes, but usually it is an optional upgrade and not a standard feature. Whether you’d want electric brakes or not is up to you (see the next bullet).
  • If you are towing an overlanding or off-roading trailer, the answer is PROBABLY YES. Most expedition trailers will come with electric brakes. If you are doing more extreme off-roading with a trailer, having electric brakes helps dramatically when trying to control your vehicle. But if you aren’t doing extreme off-roading with your trailer and will be driving on decently maintained forest service roads or camp ground roads, electric brakes don’t really help you that much.

And finally… the states where trailer brakes are required under 3000 lbs (to the best of my knowledge):
  • California
  • Idaho (kinda, it’s complicated)
  • Nevada
  • New York (kinda, it’s complicated)
  • North Carolina
  • Mississippi
If anyone needs more info on the “it’s complicated” states, let me know (trying to keep this post short). Also apologies to our Canadian friends up north, not super familiar with the trailer brake laws and only have a rough idea what is required in Quebec and Ontario.

That’s it, hope that was helpful.

Sponsored

Eddie G-man

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/1988 911 cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bryan,
thanks for ur insight I dropped my toe pac and brush guard and have been waiting ( like everyone else ) since last july2K21.
im Going through a Ford Dealer but they don’t know anything about any thing… it’s been quite cemetery.
Eddie

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw that and was looking for confirmation.

@Panzer948 just to confirm...you have a 4 pin dealer installed harness, and you get deactivation of items like rear sensors, cross traffic alert, etc. when you hook up a trailer. Correct?
Yes that is correct. Does so automatically.

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Also, the above isn't quite true. I actually plugged my trailer into a 7-pin adaptor harness that I installed myself to the dealer installed 4-pin... Right now, that seems to be our only option since the dealer doesn't have at least a Ford accessory part 7-pin harness. Obviously I am not running a full 7 pin since it is only carrying info for lights (that it converts from 4-pin). So for any one reading this that is on the fence about removing your factory optioned tow package, if you think you will be doing any towing, dont. Dealing with getting my non optioned tow package up to speed to tow has been an absolute nightmare and cost me alot more time and money, especially since I am not so sure it even helped speed up my build.

All these tow threads have crossed my eyes. So, with this option, you can plug it into a 7 pin adapter type plug, then I could run the dang power wire to the battery, run a wire to a trailer brake controller, and be DONE with this? Right now im looking at the Curt 4 pin kit, but thinking about the Ford kit, a 7 pin, running wires and calling it good.

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know of a five flat to four flat adapter that can be used? The only reason I really needed the seven pin in the past was my boat trailer with surge brakes has a 5th wire that disables the brakes when backing the trailer. So when towing previously I used a five flat to seven round adapter for proper function. I don't want to go through the hassle of adding a 7 pin at this point as I'll never really need it, or a trailer brake controller for what I'd be towing. I know you can add the 5th wire and connect a five to five, but don't see that as being worth the trouble if a simple adapter to cover the couple of times a year I'd be doing this. If not, I'll just end up using the the surge brake blocking pin a little more.

Last edited:

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know of a five flat to four flat adapter that can be used? The only reason I really needed the seven pin in the past was my boat trailer with surge brakes has a 5th wire that disables the brakes when backing the trailer. So when towing previously I used a five flat to seven round adapter for proper function. I don't want to go through the hassle of adding a 7 pin at this point as I'll never really need it, or a trailer brake controller for what I'd be towing. I know you can add the 5th wire and connect a five to five, but don't see that as being worth the trouble if a simple adapter to cover the couple of times a year I'd be doing this . if not, I'll just end up using the the surge brake blocking pin a little more.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wiring/Tow-Ready/20036.html
Sponsored