David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder if stability control turns off, but break lock traction control stays on, I assume that is what happens
I looked this up in the manual but it is not really clear. Typically, shutting off traction control still allows the brakes to simulate a limited slip but it does not reduce power to eliminate wheelspin. At least that is the way on my '05 Xterra off-road and I believe Toyotas.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How effective is traction control vs the front and rear lockers? Worthless? Better than nothing?
There was a YouTube video of a Ranger testing the various traction controls vs locker. Fairly eye opening actually. Maybe 20 or 21 Ranger. Seek and ye shall find .

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does the Bronco have a off road specific traction control system?
I know the JK and JL Wranglers do. Brake Lock Differential. It is separate from the normal traction control and uses the brakes to send power from the spining wheel to the planted wheel. It works effing great btw. It is not as good a a locker, but is a damn good substitute. Of course no mod can replace driver skill.
This is the best example I've found of it in use. Stone stock '12 JK sport, open diffs, no disconnects:

A good off road vehicle - such as the wrangler and bronco - with this system will be capable of stuff must of won't dare - or have the skill too - try.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here is another really good video explaining the difference and when/why to use each system. The guy speaking is a certified off road trainer and gives some really good advice no matter what vehicle you're driving.
Skip to 1:50 in to see the important part...

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does the Bronco have a off road specific traction control system?
I know the JK and JL Wranglers do. Brake Lock Differential. It is separate from the normal traction control and uses the brakes to send power from the spining wheel to the planted wheel. .
@Ford Motor Company can you chime in whether the brakes will still mimic a limited slip with traction control off?

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have rear lockers on both trucks, my SxS's and tractors so I know how that works.
If the traction control and ABS can simulate lockers to some extent I can get a OBX with 4.27 or 3.73 and get better fuel economy on our 600 mile runs to our summer place in CO. I would like a Badlands but think the 4.7 is gonna hurt fuel economy a lot.
If I get a OBX I would add skid plates, front bumper with winch and run 33" with beadlocks when offroad and 33" AT's driving up there. The difference between 33"'s and 35's is so small I see no reason for those (.85" of added ground clearance).
Badlands only gets the 4.7 with manual transmission or Sasquatch. I’m on mobile and I cant remember off the top of my head but think it’s 4.46 with the 10A.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands only gets the 4.7 with manual transmission or Sasquatch. I’m on mobile and I cant remember off the top of my head but think it’s 4.46 with the 10A.
Sorry I meant to say 4.46 but that ratio would still run 400 rpm higher than the 3.73 @ 80 mph

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This video is of a Ford Everest and shows traction control vs front locker vs front and rear lockers...

Ranger traction control video

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

would there be an advantage to adding a limited slip differential to the rear axle of and non locker rear axle? i would think a LSD would be an economical upgrade for a base non sasquach vehicle. considering the traction control is disabled in t the 4 wheel low selection, a LSD should be a great advantage...

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For anyone who thinks that the traction system won't apply brakes to make a wheel stop spinning, you are wrong! I proved this theory just yesterday in my 2015 f150 fx4. I put two wheels in the air on a gravel pile and let the truck spin for about 10 seconds while applying slight gas pedal, after which, the truck chimed, flashed the traction light, LOCKED the spinning wheels down and enabled me to get un-stuck. I never engaged my rear locker either. What I don't know, however, is if the base bronco would have the programming to do this. In addition, you may already be dug in by the time the traction system figures it out. But it WILL figure it out. As for me, I'm going with the black diamond with the rear locker only. I am positive the traction system is MORE than capable of figuring itself out if need be. Take care!

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For anyone who thinks that the traction system won't apply brakes to make a wheel stop spinning, you are wrong! I proved this theory just yesterday in my 2015 f150 fx4. I put two wheels in the air on a gravel pile and let the truck spin for about 10 seconds while applying slight gas pedal, after which, the truck chimed, flashed the traction light, LOCKED the spinning wheels down and enabled me to get un-stuck. I never engaged my rear locker either. What I don't know, however, is if the base bronco would have the programming to do this. In addition, you may already be dug in by the time the traction system figures it out. But it WILL figure it out. As for me, I'm going with the black diamond with the rear locker only. I am positive the traction system is MORE than capable of figuring itself out if need be. Take care!
10 seconds is ridiculously slow and I wouldn't rely on that to get you out of a bad situation

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
10 seconds is ridiculously slow and I wouldn't rely on that to get you out of a bad situation
We are talking about a 7 year old truck. If it did it 7 years ago, I am sure it is more advanced today. What I'm driving at, is that the computer is able to power both front wheels even without a locker on some applications. If you are rock crawling you would have to spin first, so not ideal! Haha it may not have even been a full 10 seconds, but nowhere near instant!

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Traction control or Stabilitrak as know on certain passenger cars will stop you dead in your tracks if you ate in deep doodoo.. traditionally to get unstuck in mud or snow one rocks the vehicle back and forth rapidly shifting from fwd to Rev. TC or other know as will prohibit you from rocking back and forth as it will apply the brakes when you want the wheels to spin. That's when you shut it off.

And to the naysayers. I did not break anything locking rear axle in both 4A and 4H traveling straight ahead on highway covered with 3 inches snow on top of half inch ice.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are talking about a 7 year old truck. If it did it 7 years ago, I am sure it is more advanced today. What I'm driving at, is that the computer is able to power both front wheels even without a locker on some applications. If you are rock crawling you would have to spin first, so not ideal! Haha it may not have even been a full 10 seconds, but nowhere near instant!
Checkout the 8 minute mark.
This guy is using trail control but in theory it's still trying to use traction control to get out of a rut. No dice.
Sponsored