Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Short read: Good product, I like it and am happy with it

Long Read:

I have wanted a bumper mounted swing gate, much like what BAMF makes for Toyotas and have been waiting for a product that met all my wants and needs. So far there are a few on the market I kinda liked, but not enough to pull the trigger.

For my current needs, the Turn reinforcement does almost everything by taking all the weight off the tailgate. Many supports just stiffen the tailgate, but the weight is still carried through the gate and the hinges. Turns product puts all the weight on the reinforcement and much larger hinges. The tub still carries the weight, so we'll see 10 years down the road how that works out.

I was impressed with the packaging. I can't tell you how many boxes I get that are nothing more than Kleenex and brown paper wrapping. Boxes with holes and missing or damaged items. It's frustrating ordering things these days. Well, Turn uses extremely heavy cardboard, plus plastic straps, plus tape to keep things tight. Inside the box it was packaged better than I would have. Wrapped in a cloth type thing and foam filled to conform to the box. Nothing was getting scratched, damaged, or lost in that box. Well done.

As far as instructions. Are there any? I don't know. I watched the video. There were no written instructions in the box and I didn't see a pdf anywhere on the website. Fairly self explanatory, but there were two different lengths of the same size bolts and it would have been nice to know where to use the long ones and the short ones. Sometimes it's obvious. It wasn't in this case, so I just used the long ones on the 4 upper holes and the short ones on the 4 lower holes. Seemed to work out fine, so maybe I guessed right or it doesn't matter. I am pretty old school and still like written instructions though, even if I don't read them first.

I installed it by myself in a garage that was over 90 degrees, so I can't say I was at my best, but everything went well enough. All the holes lined up easily except for one, and it was like 99% there. The bolt went in with a bit of resistance, but it's in there. The hinges have 2 piece brass bushings and a steel bushing. In the install video, the bushings stayed in the hinge. Gravity must have been a bit higher in my garage, because neither wanted to stay in. Would have been pretty easy with a second person, but I had to get the support started just enough on the hinges to hold the brass bushings in and then put the steel bushings in and slide it over to keep them in. Sounds easier than it was, holding a 50+lb support in one hand and trying to keep bushings in on two different hinges. After a few trail and error approaches I got it, but would have been much easier with a second person.

I did have to align my hinges slightly off from the factory hinges to maintain body lines. Honestly, I didn't look too closely before taking the gate off, so maybe it wasn't aligned that well to begin with. Once I got everything bolted on, I checked the fitment by opening and closing several times. Perfect. Then I put the spare on. Now the gate was hitting the latch and having to bump up to close. Looking at the service manual, that's to be expected with the extra weight of the spare. The Ford service manual tells you to account for the movement from adding the spare when adjusting the hinges.

OK, so no problem, all I needed to do was adjust the mounts on the tub that the hinges bolt to. Easy enough as I have removed the tail lights before and knew the drill. Well, not so fast. Those big hinges with the door stop make removing those plastic pieces a bit difficult. It can be done, just be careful and don't scratch anything. Luckily, I only needed to adjust the lower mount by moving it in about 1/16 inch or so. That was enough to kick the door up at a slight angle that leveled out perfect with the weight of the spare.

Alright, everything is done and looks good enough for me. I drive down the road and it sounded like I picked up a squirrel with a hammer looking for his nuts.
Son of a.... I had a perfectly quiet tailgate before all this. No way can I tolerate that noise. Looked over my options for adjustment and decided to remove the lower stop to see if that made a change. Immediately quiet again. OK, then I drove briskly over rough dirt roads for 3 hours. Still quiet. So I am convinced it was that stop causing all the noise. Look it over and don't see any adjustment, so I shimmed the rubber/plastic piece in the gate to make it fit tighter. That did it. We'll see how long term that is, but for now it's quiet.

Turn Offroad is awesome and made an antenna mount for me. Having the WeBoost antenna and wanting to keep it at or below the height of the Bronco, I used the mount upside down. That lowered the mounting point by 2 inches, BUT what it did was put the mount right into the taillight before the tailgate hits the stop. That of course is on me as I know I mounted it upside down. I will cut the corner of the mount so it fits my needs.

Overall I am very happy with it. I used my OEM carrier with OEM wheels. There are two different size OEM carriers that give about the same spacing with OEM wheels. If you have your stock wheels, you will have about an inch gap between the tire and the support. I am happy with an inch gap. If you have decreased the stock offset by an inch or more, you will most likely want the Turn carrier. Of course, if strength is a concern, get the Turn carrier.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3673
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3675
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3674
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3650
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3651
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3681
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3680
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3659
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice. How was the install?

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@kodiakisland - Do you have a pic? I am confused a little. "So I am convinced it was that stop causing all the noise. Look it over and don't see any adjustment, so I shimmed the rubber/plastic piece in the gate to make it fit tighter. That did it. We'll see how long term that is, but for now it's quiet."

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@kodiakisland - Do you have a pic? I am confused a little. "So I am convinced it was that stop causing all the noise. Look it over and don't see any adjustment, so I shimmed the rubber/plastic piece in the gate to make it fit tighter. That did it. We'll see how long term that is, but for now it's quiet."

This is the lower door stop opening on the gate. There is no adjustment to it, so I just inserted some hard plastic shims to tighten the opening. I'll probably find a better long term fix, but that made the noise go away. I imagine I could also just put a tight rubber sleeve over the stop to do the same thing.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3680

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement IMG_3679

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks! I understand now. I was imagining something on the outside of the tailgate. I have dealt with a striker that rattle on a vehicle before. I did buy it along with the carrier so I hope to chime in also in a couple of weeks.

Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Short read: Good product, I like it and am happy with it

Long Read:

I have wanted a bumper mounted swing gate, much like what BAMF makes for Toyotas and have been waiting for a product that met all my wants and needs. So far there are a few on the market I kinda liked, but not enough to pull the trigger.

For my current needs, the Turn reinforcement does almost everything by taking all the weight off the tailgate. Many supports just stiffen the tailgate, but the weight is still carried through the gate and the hinges. Turns product puts all the weight on the reinforcement and much larger hinges. The tub still carries the weight, so we'll see 10 years down the road how that works out.

I was impressed with the packaging. I can't tell you how many boxes I get that are nothing more than Kleenex and brown paper wrapping. Boxes with holes and missing or damaged items. It's frustrating ordering things these days. Well, Turn uses extremely heavy cardboard, plus plastic straps, plus tape to keep things tight. Inside the box it was packaged better than I would have. Wrapped in a cloth type thing and foam filled to conform to the box. Nothing was getting scratched, damaged, or lost in that box. Well done.

As far as instructions. Are there any? I don't know. I watched the video. There were no written instructions in the box and I didn't see a pdf anywhere on the website. Fairly self explanatory, but there were two different lengths of the same size bolts and it would have been nice to know where to use the long ones and the short ones. Sometimes it's obvious. It wasn't in this case, so I just used the long ones on the 4 upper holes and the short ones on the 4 lower holes. Seemed to work out fine, so maybe I guessed right or it doesn't matter. I am pretty old school and still like written instructions though, even if I don't read them first.

I installed it by myself in a garage that was over 90 degrees, so I can't say I was at my best, but everything went well enough. All the holes lined up easily except for one, and it was like 99% there. The bolt went in with a bit of resistance, but it's in there. The hinges have 2 piece brass bushings and a steel bushing. In the install video, the bushings stayed in the hinge. Gravity must have been a bit higher in my garage, because neither wanted to stay in. Would have been pretty easy with a second person, but I had to get the support started just enough on the hinges to hold the brass bushings in and then put the steel bushings in and slide it over to keep them in. Sounds easier than it was, holding a 50+lb support in one hand and trying to keep bushings in on two different hinges. After a few trail and error approaches I got it, but would have been much easier with a second person.

I did have to align my hinges slightly off from the factory hinges to maintain body lines. Honestly, I didn't look too closely before taking the gate off, so maybe it wasn't aligned that well to begin with. Once I got everything bolted on, I checked the fitment by opening and closing several times. Perfect. Then I put the spare on. Now the gate was hitting the latch and having to bump up to close. Looking at the service manual, that's to be expected with the extra weight of the spare. The Ford service manual tells you to account for the movement from adding the spare when adjusting the hinges.

OK, so no problem, all I needed to do was adjust the mounts on the tub that the hinges bolt to. Easy enough as I have removed the tail lights before and knew the drill. Well, not so fast. Those big hinges with the door stop make removing those plastic pieces a bit difficult. It can be done, just be careful and don't scratch anything. Luckily, I only needed to adjust the lower mount by moving it in about 1/16 inch or so. That was enough to kick the door up at a slight angle that leveled out perfect with the weight of the spare.

Alright, everything is done and looks good enough for me. I drive down the road and it sounded like I picked up a squirrel with a hammer looking for his nuts.
Son of a.... I had a perfectly quiet tailgate before all this. No way can I tolerate that noise. Looked over my options for adjustment and decided to remove the lower stop to see if that made a change. Immediately quiet again. OK, then I drove briskly over rough dirt roads for 3 hours. Still quiet. So I am convinced it was that stop causing all the noise. Look it over and don't see any adjustment, so I shimmed the rubber/plastic piece in the gate to make it fit tighter. That did it. We'll see how long term that is, but for now it's quiet.

Turn Offroad is awesome and made an antenna mount for me. Having the WeBoost antenna and wanting to keep it at or below the height of the Bronco, I used the mount upside down. That lowered the mounting point by 2 inches, BUT what it did was put the mount right into the taillight before the tailgate hits the stop. That of course is on me as I know I mounted it upside down. I will cut the corner of the mount so it fits my needs.

Overall I am very happy with it. I used my OEM carrier with OEM wheels. There are two different size OEM carriers that give about the same spacing with OEM wheels. If you have your stock wheels, you will have about an inch gap between the tire and the support. I am happy with an inch gap. If you have decreased the stock offset by an inch or more, you will most likely want the Turn carrier. Of course, if strength is a concern, get the Turn carrier.

Man thanks for the great write up. I too have been waiting on a bumper mounted swing out carrier but have not fallen in love with anything available to date. The squirrel with the hammer comment made me chuckle.

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@kodiakisland So how you liking your tailgate reinforcement so far. I bought mine at the end of July a week before my bronco arrived, and I just now opened up my Turn reinforcement/carrier boxes. Great boxing! A little worried about how heavy they are. Plan on installing tonight.

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@kodiakisland So how you liking your tailgate reinforcement so far. I bought mine at the end of July a week before my bronco arrived, and I just now opened up my Turn reinforcement/carrier boxes. Great boxing! A little worried about how heavy they are. Plan on installing tonight.
If you have any issues setting things up send us an email with your phone number to [email protected]. We can provide assistance after hours!

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you have any issues setting things up send us an email with your phone number to [email protected]. We can provide assistance after hours!

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored
OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, don't even know it's back there, which is a good thing.
I did have to make a very slight adjustment to the hinges as it wasn't sealing perfectly around the weather stripping on the hinge side. Would make a slight noise like a window was cracked at highway speeds. Easy fix.

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got it installed. Both the tailgate and carrier adjustment system. Pretty easy, Turn Offroad's installation videos are well informed and helped out. I had to make adjustments to the brackets behind the taillight. This is no fun, but it was needed to ensure alignment was perfect after weight was added after reinstalling the tire. My only small issues is with the height of the 3rd brake light. The carrier system allows for adjustments and I set the brake light to the lowest setting. But there is a gap between the brake light and the top of the tire. The gap can be closed by adjusting the tire up a couple of inches, which is real easy with the carrier being adjustable (light height is adjustable independently of the tire and is at the lowest setting). But I would rather keep the tire as low as possible to give me max view out the rear window. As Turn Offroad stated in the next post, "3rd brake light can also be installed without the extension brackets." So I added the pic once I removed the adjustable brackets.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad tailgate reinforcement 20230905_074621

20230905_161934.jpg

Last edited:

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Due to the beefier size of the new hinges, the tailgate area right behind the hinge is exposed and you can see where the stock hinges where. I did not realize this until I had it almost installed. I plan to touch them up latter. You can not see this area from behind the truck.

20230902_163617.jpg

cobralsc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mini / 01 Viper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now for all the greatness... The hinges are a huge improvement, brass inserts with steel pins. The stock ones are about the diameter of a pencil.
The adjustment of the tailgate and carrier system allows for up/down and tire depth. Everything is metal, so I do not have to worry about breaking the camera stem when resting the tire on the stem when installing.
I had no rattles of noises. As quite as stock. I did not have to adjust the stickers neither. Once I adjusted the brackets behind the brake light, tailgate shut just like stock. Even my gaps came out better that stock. Both passenger and drive side seem even now.
And customer support is excellent. Turn Offroad called me Thursday night and gave me a few tips. Told me they would be available over Labor Day weekend if I needed them!
Very happy with this tailgate!

20230902_163325.jpg

20230905_074835.jpg

20230905_075125.jpg

20230905_073927.jpg

20230905_075312.jpg
Sponsored