First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TDI Jetta Wagon,88 300zx,97XJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a late Oct res holder at one of the "below invoice" dealers.... and have been pretty patiently waiting. BUT for some reason seeing the "Bronco is being built" & "My Bronco got delivered" posts, and with the combo that knowing I'm probably still a year (or more) out I... uh, I started looking around. A diesel gladiator with 37s is looking good... man my wife even said that she would take the Gladiator in 5ish years and then I could get my Bronco...

Am I crazy here? Talk me out of it!?!

Any guesses on an Oct res delivery?

Sponsored

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There have been people who with later reservations who have build dates now. Many factors matter. What’s your build? Where are you in your dealer’s allocations? Are you a priority customer with them? Did you do something saintly in a past life?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm a late Oct res holder at one of the "below invoice" dealers.... and have been pretty patiently waiting. BUT for some reason seeing the "Bronco is being built" & "My Bronco got delivered" posts, and with the combo that knowing I'm probably still a year (or more) out I... uh, I started looking around. A diesel gladiator with 37s is looking good... man my wife even said that she would take the Gladiator in 5ish years and then I could get my Bronco...

Am I crazy here? Talk me out of it!?!

Any guesses on an Oct res delivery?

You'll be disappointed when they are actually out and about on the road. The Gladiator isn't a bad ride, but it's not a Bronco, and you know it. Get a used wrangler that you can flip for a profit, when your Bronco is ready, sell the Wrangler and keep the Bronco.

OP
OP
eddyarnold

eddyarnold

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TDI Jetta Wagon,88 300zx,97XJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There have been people who with later reservations who have build dates now. Many factors matter. What’s your build? Where are you in your dealer’s allocations? Are you a priority customer with them? Did you do something saintly in a past life?
At Stephenson's anyone after a certain date (maybe Sept/Oct, which was certainly me) was pushed to 99 status... so i didn't even get to order yet. BUT will be ordering 4 door Badlands 2.3 Manual, High, MIC top.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think if you have a four door on order, consider soft top and see where that gets you.

If two door, or MIC/Mod or bust, then your probably waiting until this time next year. If you just can’t wait, that Gladiator has more capability in some areas, and less in others, but is a perfectly reasonable and capable adventuring vehicle to tide you over for a few years while the Bronco develops and production normalizes.

For example: if you really like the idea of a hybrid Bronco - that will be available by then most likely. In the meantime you can use the Gladiator for the kinds of adventures that need more hauling ability.

Net: you’re not crazy - it’s actually a logical consideration versus total emotional investment in an unknown process.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I understand. This long wait has given my big old dumb mind time to make up some outrageous scenarios. Owning one I will say the new JL Jeeps are leaps, and bounds above even the JK's. Sleep one it, run all outcomes, good and bad, through your mind over and over until one comes to the top. Then make that decision. And, study really hard on what you think your reaction would be the first time you pass a Bronco while driving your Jeep. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'll be disappointed when they are actually out and about on the road. The Gladiator isn't a bad ride, but it's not a Bronco, and you know it. Get a used wrangler that you can flip for a profit, when your Bronco is ready, sell the Wrangler and keep the Bronco.
I currently have a Jeep and it's had several electronic issues so when my boss purchased a diesel Gladiator , I warned him of what we have affectionately called "Mopar Magic" and how frustrating it is. He purchased the Diesel and instantly added the lift and 37's. He's just over 3000 miles and it left his wife stranded on a long lonely Wyoming highway last week. It is still sitting at the dealer waiting on parts. Hmmmmm. The magic continues. I've had other Mopars and this Jeep will be sold as soon as my New Bronco shows up. I'll never own another Mopar.

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m contemplating buying the JL Rubicon with diesel since Ford can’t seem to get their shxx together. I would make the Jeep my wife’s once the Bronco was delivered.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Friend bought a diesel Gladiator Rubicon. It's one of the reasons I cancelled my Bronco order and ordered a JL Rubicon. They are really nice, and I think a much better rig, but different, than the Bronco.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are not crazy, although I don't think I would get a gladiator, they are ass heavy and butt ugly.

But that diesel has a lot to offer, test drove a Rubicon diesel a while ago myself. And now as of July you can order your Rubicon diesel with 35s.

For going out and buying a used one, why would you? You can get a new one cheaper than a used one unless you want to go much older or super high mileage. Jeep dealers are known for going under invoice.

As much as I want my Bronco, I'm sick and tired of being in the dark with no ETA. July is jeeps 2022 go live... Clock is ticking Ford!

You can nic pick all day long, but unless the drive of a SFA bothers you (which it doesnt even phase me) the really core differences are:

Jeep can't remove the panel above the rear passengers like the Bronco so you (well your passengers) don't get that same open air.

Jeep, especially the diesel, gets a shit ton better MPG and range than the Bronco. We are talking 28+ on road trips with 400+ range.

Bronco has the 360 camera (if you are going high), but of course a winch screws that up.

Jeep comes with a tuck-in-winch bumper if you go with their steal bumper group.

Jeep does a better job of Ă  la carte options so you can pick and choose and cheaper that Bronco (cuz of below invoice pricing).

Now if you are talking about a "base" JT without alot of bells and whistles, then the Bronco will out shine it big time (I guess unless you are just getting a base bronco).

One thing to keep in mind as well is the diesels are not cheap to maintain. $200 oil changes every 10k, fuel filters every 30k, and of course DEF.

... But damned if that Diesel wasn't fun to drive.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I currently have a Jeep and it's had several electronic issues so when my boss purchased a diesel Gladiator , I warned him of what we have affectionately called "Mopar Magic" and how frustrating it is. He purchased the Diesel and instantly added the lift and 37's. He's just over 3000 miles and it left his wife stranded on a long lonely Wyoming highway last week. It is still sitting at the dealer waiting on parts. Hmmmmm. The magic continues. I've had other Mopars and this Jeep will be sold as soon as my New Bronco shows up. I'll never own another Mopar.
Interesting, because:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-je...ost-reliable-car-consumer-reports-has-tested/

Maybe your friend was unlucky 🤷‍♂️

JBHillCountry

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Land Cruiser, 2022 F250, 2022 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are not crazy, although I don't think I would get a gladiator, they are ass heavy and butt ugly.

But that diesel has a lot to offer, test drove a Rubicon diesel a while ago myself. And now as of July you can order your Rubicon diesel with 35s.

For going out and buying a used one, why would you? You can get a new one cheaper than a used one unless you want to go much older or super high mileage. Jeep dealers are known for going under invoice.

As much as I want my Bronco, I'm sick and tired of being in the dark with no ETA. July is jeeps 2022 go live... Clock is ticking Ford!

You can nic pick all day long, but unless the drive of a SFA bothers you (which it doesnt even phase me) the really core differences are:

Jeep can't remove the panel above the rear passengers like the Bronco so you (well your passengers) don't get that same open air.

Jeep, especially the diesel, gets a shit ton better MPG and range than the Bronco. We are talking 28+ on road trips with 400+ range.

Bronco has the 360 camera (if you are going high), but of course a winch screws that up.

Jeep comes with a tuck-in-winch bumper if you go with their steal bumper group.

Jeep does a better job of Ă  la carte options so you can pick and choose and cheaper that Bronco (cuz of below invoice pricing).

Now if you are talking about a "base" JT without alot of bells and whistles, then the Bronco will out shine it big time (I guess unless you are just getting a base bronco).

One thing to keep in mind as well is the diesels are not cheap to maintain. $200 oil changes every 10k, fuel filters every 30k, and of course DEF.

... But damned if that Diesel wasn't fun to drive.
That's an expensive oil change. Mine on my Powerstroke is $93 if they don't top off the DEF.

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had some good and bad mopar experiences, have had a few grand cherokee's and 2 Ram 3/4 tons in the last 10yrs. When fresh, they have all been great to just jump in, throw a load on the trailer hitch, and go to work or on a trip. The EcoDiesel does not have the best reliability rep, so I think that works against it.

You could get the gladiator for now, keep your reservation/order for a '22 bronco. Eventually when it gets produced you can choose between them.

FYI I went to buy a gladiator rubicon twice, and was so let down by the steering and handling on the highway that I left empty handed. Jeep changed the steering box/programming in '21 and tsb'd the earlier trucks, I have not driven those to see if it improved. It's not an SFA thing, its a JT thing. My trucks (ram 2500, f350) are both SFA and have good to great steering.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's an expensive oil change. Mine on my Powerstroke is $93 if they don't top off the DEF.
Yeah I was a bit shocked when I found that out as well. Apparently the diesels are the generation 3 and use a special oil filter that right now can only really be bought directly from Mopar... And of course in addition it uses special oil that ain't cheap and I believe that folks go to choice of roto R6(?) Doesnt meet the new spec.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, is the fact that the DPF is about a $7,000 replacement went it goes out (possibly) around 150k miles or so. Some say you can clean them and keep going.

Basically "they" (and I'm not talking about Jeep) have made it so difficult to own a new er diesel that's almost not worth buying anymore
Sponsored