First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dealership called me today to tell me my new hardtop came in. So this will be the 2nd time it will be replaced. I asked my service tech if it came with the headliner, and he said yes. So my appointment is for the 10th, and a loaner will be waiting for me.

I really am happy with my dealership. The service department has never given me any grief about anything I ask of them. I went in last week for a scheduled maintenance, 1st oil change, rotate the 37's, and all wheel alignment. I showed my tech Stephen the crack in the new hardtop, plus the back window strut mount that pulled out from the top. I didn't say much and Stephen said ill take care of it. Next thing I know a 2nd new top came in. If anyone in my general area is looking for great service I most definitely recommend Ferman Ford of Clearwater, Fl.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well today was my appointment at the dealership to have my 3rd top installed. Took it in at 7am, I received a 23 Mustang loaner. My tech called me at 4:30pm to say my Bronco was ready to pick up.

The top is in flawless condition, with no crate rub or anything. Unlike my previous replacement top. Based on the id plate it is a 23 model top. The headliner seems to be thicker than previously headliners.

Time will tell if it lasts without any cracks.

But on a side note, my dealership Ferman Ford of Clearwater, FL has been top notch when it comes to customer service, warranty coverage and service. Probably the best Ford Dealership I've bought and had work completed in some years. Even the technicians allow you to go in the garage to talk to them and show them problems observed.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well today was my appointment at the dealership to have my 3rd top installed. Took it in at 7am, I received a 23 Mustang loaner. My tech called me at 4:30pm to say my Bronco was ready to pick up.

The top is in flawless condition, with no crate rub or anything. Unlike my previous replacement top. Based on the id plate it is a 23 model top. The headliner seems to be thicker than previously headliners.

But on a side note, my dealership Ferman Ford of Clearwater, FL has been top notch when it comes to customer service, warranty coverage and service. Probably the best Ford Dealership I've bought and had work completed in some years. Even the technicians allow you to go in the garage to talk to them and show them problems observed.
Great to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience. I go in for my first replacement top (2nd top overall) tomorrow morning due to one hairline crack. Hoping to have a flawless new top like yours. They reuse all the windows correct? Thank you.

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Great to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience. I go in for my first replacement top (2nd top overall) tomorrow morning due to one hairline crack. Hoping to have a flawless new top like yours. They reuse all the windows correct? Thank you.
Yes, they re-use the side and rear windows. Just make sure they have a new headliner for install if your original top has it. It is not reusable. My 2nd top came in and the dealer forgot to order it and it delayed the job by 3 days.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, they re-use the side and rear windows. Just make sure they have a new headliner for install if your original top has it. It is not reusable. My 2nd top came in and the dealer forgot to order it and it delayed the job by 3 days.
Thanks! Forgot about the headliner. I’m going to bet my dealer did too. Is it not something I could just go back for to let them stick on if they forgot to order it? Or did you just want it all done at once? Thank you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks! Forgot about the headliner. I’m going to bet my dealer did too. Is it not something I could just go back for to let them stick on if they forgot to order it? Or did you just want it all done at once? Thank you.
The dealer gave me a loaner, and the job was started once they realized it. So it was no big deal for them to have it the extra days.

To install the liner after the fact would be something you would discuss with your dealership.

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's an idea Ford. Stop using cardboard in your manufacturing process. You are manufacturing a product that's supposed to last for years. Not shipping merchandise back to Amazon.com.

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been inspecting my hard top(s) 3 to be exact now to try and understand why the tops seem to always crack. The location of the cracks are generally in the same area, right along the bottom, around the bottom edge of the side windows and rear corner of the window. After all said and done, what I think is the culprit is the interior rear aft bolts that hold the top in place.

The reason I say this is 2 fold. 1st, the 2dr hard top is the only model I've read that has this issue or is the majority, the 4dr hard top side windows are not as long as the 2dr side widows. Second reason is the bottom side window exterior trim is narrow and long, the 2dr that is. That exterior trim along the bottom of the side window to me is not stiff enough to withstand the torque being applied by the mounting bolts. And is causing an ever so slight pull on that small narrow trim piece, and after some travel on pavement, off-road etc, the bottom back corners around the side window is cracking.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I need to go over my to with a close eye next week…getting nervous with all these top problems.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been inspecting my hard top(s) 3 to be exact now to try and understand why the tops seem to always crack. The location of the cracks are generally in the same area, right along the bottom, around the bottom edge of the side windows and rear corner of the window. After all said and done, what I think is the culprit is the interior rear aft bolts that hold the top in place.

The reason I say this is 2 fold. 1st, the 2dr hard top is the only model I've read that has this issue or is the majority, the 4dr hard top side windows are not as long as the 2dr side widows. Second reason is the bottom side window exterior trim is narrow and long, the 2dr that is. That exterior trim along the bottom of the side window to me is not stiff enough to withstand the torque being applied by the mounting bolts. And is causing an ever so slight pull on that small narrow trim piece, and after some travel on pavement, off-road etc, the bottom back corners around the side window is cracking.

Great video and observations, and you're likely right. However, my hairline crack developed on my 4-door, but was only at the bottom trip piece and not at the corners. My crack was almost right in the center of the bottom trim piece. If the bolts are causing the problems, maybe backing them out so they aren't so tight is a possible solution. I'm now going to install my Rockworx bolts, which can be just hand snug, so hoping that puts less torque on the bolt attachment.

Now onto my MIC top replacement that occurred yesterday.......I was really nervous that my Ford dealer service would screw this up and I'd end up with a top worse than my cracked one. But to my surprise, they actually did a great job after my detailed inspection. My only complaint is my sound deadening headliner is a little off-centered by a 1/2", but you will never be able to tell. For some reason though, they didn't re-use my side windows and gave me new windows. My guess is they would have broke taking them out. My rear flip-up window was re-used though.

I'm honestly not sure what version my replacement top is. Attached are photos of the sticker on my original top, my new top, and my work order showing the part number used. When I search on Ford parts for all 3 of those part numbers, they all point me to the same top though: Roof Panel Weatherstrip. Roof Trim Panel - Center. | FordUS
Does anyone know if this is the same part number as a 2023 top? Otherwise it seems I received a 2021-2022 top.

InkedOld Top Sticker.jpg

InkedNew Top Sticker.jpg

Work Order.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Dadsquatch

The retaining bolts for the hardtop I've never messed with. I've never taken my top off other than the t-section. If I were to contemplate the loosening of the bolts, ever so slightly I would be concern with leaking or air flow seeping in and causing a howling whistling noise. The only thing I can honestly come up with as a possible equalizer is to purchase a roll of 1/16th or 1/8th rubber flat trim gasket and use that for the horizontal mating surface. But I'm going to wait it out for 90 days like before and re-inspect the top for cracking.

I don't know why they installed new side windows for you other than your service tech may of thought it was required and ordered them when ordering the top. The top is just a shell in a crate when shipped. I'm surprised that ford approved the window purchase for the top replacement.

Last edited:

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nice to hear a story about a good dealership experience. It's usually only the bad stories that get posted. Hope your top replacement works out well

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@huey

Yep that's why I stated my positive comment. All you here on here is the rant after rant loud cap letters of nothing but negative with ford dealerships.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We had my wife’s Outer Banks top replaced last month. Parkway Ford in Winston Salem, NC. They did an excellent job. Had it a couple of days and kept me informed the whole process. Hopefully the new top will be better- can’t say I’m expecting it but hoping!

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@huey

Yep that's why I stated my positive comment. All you here on here is the rant after rant loud cap letters of nothing but negative with ford dealerships.
So true! Dealerships are as good as they are managed. Great management great service.
Sponsored