Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

“Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.” – Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

A424FE98-56BF-425E-9DE4-D335BA81704C.jpeg

“Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life” Baloo the Bear, The Jungle Book
Sponsored

OP
OP
jnew71

jnew71

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Daimond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wasn't sure I was going to go through with it when I had the $100 deposit down, but my wife kept mentioning to other people that I was getting a Bronco, so I went through with it. I didn't have to get a loan for mine, so that makes a difference. But I feel like I now have too many cars with three for two people to drive. But I have too many motorcycles too, so what are you going to do?

I don't regret spending $41K on my Bronco. And I'm actively seeking places to take it where I wouldn't or couldn't take my other cars. Places I take my motorcycles, mostly. That and cleaning mud off of it on a regular basis.

My own philosophy: "Life is too short to waste it driving around in boring cars". The Bronco has not been boring.
This probably aligns most with my experience as I got the reservation on a hedge never expecting to go through with it. I too have the money to pay cash - haven't decided on cash vs. financing.

Your last sentence - "Life is too short to <fill in the blank> is a place I am trying to get. It is tough to override 50 yrs of programming

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sure the answer is yes - the question being is anyone that has yet to take ownership (or even those that have) struggling with want vs need when it comes to buying a Bronco?

I have always been careful with money adopting the philosophy just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should buy it. During the time between my reservation and getting a build date, I could fantasize that I'd be getting one for the cost of $100 - now it's getting real and my anxiety is creeping in a bit.

50k is alot of money for a want and while I can more than afford it, it's not the smart thing to do. So now I have the guy on my left shoulder telling me we have 2 cars paid off with a ton of life left and a nice chunk of disposable cash in the bank. The guy on the right is saying F$@k the guy on the left - that I always listen to him and need to live a little.

At any rate, these mental gymnastics will continue until it arrives, which should be late May if no delays. Was just curious about how others deal with them.
Sitting Bull once said..."there are two dogs inside of me, the prudent prius dog, and the Bold Bronco Dog." Take life by the horns, throw reason and practicality out the damn window, trade in that Infiniti, and FEED THE BRONCO DAWG!!! You will not regret it!

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For you Educated Folks,

“Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.” Franz Kafka

For you Common Sense Bronco Busters,

“It's Better To Have It And Not Need It, Than To Need It And Not Have It!" - Woodrow F. Call

“Don’t be All Hat and No Cattle” Some Anonymous Texan

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sitting Bull once said..."there are two dogs inside of me, the prudent prius dog, and the Bold Bronco Dog."Take life by the horns, throw reason and practicality out the damn window, trade in that Infiniti, and FEED THE BRONCO DAWG!!! You will not regret it!
“It must be True. I saw it on the Internet.” - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted a motorhome to tour the U.S. in retirement. That created the need for a tow vehicle and the Bronco fit the bill. Then I wanted a Badlands with Sasquatch because I also needed a hunting vehicle since I want to hunt more now that I’m retired and I’ll be getting into nasty terrain during hunts. Since the time I ordered the Bronco I want to do more off-roading and I’ve got my eye on the Rubicon trail because my brother and I did that a couple of times in his 60’s era Bronco back in the 80’s. It’d be in his honor since he passed away unexpectedly riding his mountain bike a while back. This want to take on even more challenging terrain than I’ll get in while hunting and my need to honor my brother created the need for an aftermarket bumper, skids, winch and other off road gear. All the gear is needed to be safe, after all.

So my original “want“ for a motorhome I didn’t ever “need” created a whole bunch of “wants” and “needs“ but are the “needs” really needed if they were created by a “want”.

Damn, now I‘m so confused I don’t know what to do!!!

In all seriousness, I don’t think anyone really needs a vehicle like a Bronco but if you want one and can afford buy it or don’t….. My point in typing the above is to point out you can rationalize just about anything if you try plus I thought it was pretty damn funny!

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s how I’ve weighed it.

- Good start on my Retirement Planning.
No need to change that strategy
- My girls’ College Funds garner separate considerations, and they’ll be good.
No need to change there.
- House was refinanced to a 15-year Loan
Will still be able to pay that off.
- Wife’s vehicle is still newer, reliable
Won’t be impacted if repairs are req.
- Separate pot for vacation (thanks Pandemic)

Positive thing about the Bronco is it will open up more healthy, outdoor activities so we won’t spend that money on other forms of entertainment.

so, if you can check boxes like that and have a rainy day fund you don’t need to dip into in order to do it, you’re good!

DesertDweller

First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am sure the answer is yes - the question being is anyone that has yet to take ownership (or even those that have) struggling with want vs need when it comes to buying a Bronco?

I have always been careful with money adopting the philosophy just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should buy it. During the time between my reservation and getting a build date, I could fantasize that I'd be getting one for the cost of $100 - now it's getting real and my anxiety is creeping in a bit.

50k is alot of money for a want and while I can more than afford it, it's not the smart thing to do. So now I have the guy on my left shoulder telling me we have 2 cars paid off with a ton of life left and a nice chunk of disposable cash in the bank. The guy on the right is saying F$@k the guy on the left - that I always listen to him and need to live a little.

At any rate, these mental gymnastics will continue until it arrives, which should be late May if no delays. Was just curious about how others deal with them.
Yeah my want vs need boiled down to needing a vehicle I know will be reliable, a vehicle I know I can get now and not 3 years from now, and a vehicle that gets good gas mileage. I personally walked away for now. I really don't need the headache.

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Life is short, real short. Buying material things is a waste sometimes, but buying experiences isn’t usually. I view the Bronco as that, an experience. The price of riding around topless/doors off with with spouse and kids having a blast, priceless memory.

plus just use someone else’s fake money lol

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What makes you happy.... The security of $$$$ in the bank or the lifestyle the Bronco can offer? Would you keep it stock or do mods... In short, do you like working on your vehicles or performing others do the work?

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Do you need the Bronco to get where you want to go, because your current vehicles will not suffice? That's your reality based "need" decision right there.

Otherwise if you're just buying the Bronco to drive to the grocery store, and your current vehicle will already get you to the grocery store, you are possibly making a more unwise decision based on image.

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Better to live a little than live a life of regret and what-ifs. If the money isn't going to dent your budget, do it. Go enjoy life and have fun. Make new adventures, make new friends. Life is so short and we're not guaranteed tomorrow.

I've always been conservative with my finances, maxing out my retirement accounts living way below my means, and carrying little to no debt. My toys and my car are all paid off. I don't like the idea of getting into another car payment but my current car is 10+ years old (runs perfectly) and I really, really want an upgrade 😅 So the Bronco is that upgrade!

Back story, was married until about 3 years ago. Ex-wife / bitch took a lot of my hard earned money (she wasn't really working) through the divorce and it woke me up to realize how life can give and take easily from you. I worked my ass off for that money.

Anyways, nose to the grind stone, a lot of "hustle", I've made it back and then some. Live life a bit. Work hard and enjoy luxury once in a while.

I want/need the Bronco because I want to spend more time outdoors and exploring our beautiful country. I stare at screens all day and it's a tool to get me outside and live life. Can't put a price on that.

And for what it's worth, I'm getting financing at 3.0% over 5 years. I'd rather have a monthly payment versus sink $50k into a depreciating asset. Equity investments are still earning around 5 - 10% right now.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would have been more than happy with a BD. I’m fact had one in the build and price. The. Happened upon a mannequin OBX. It’s got stuff that a wanted (360 camera, power seats, high package, console and rear lockable storage.). Was it a few more $$ yup. The two thinks I would have liked were the wash out floors and upfitter switches. While I’ve yet to find the part number for the wash out floors or someone wanting to trade for carpet. The switches are able to be added after the fact.
so here’s my take. If you can comfortably afford what you want while still saving for retirement and cover all your bills Live a little enjoy life now because nobody is guaranteed a tomorrow.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This probably aligns most with my experience as I got the reservation on a hedge never expecting to go through with it. I too have the money to pay cash - haven't decided on cash vs. financing.

Your last sentence - "Life is too short to <fill in the blank> is a place I am trying to get. It is tough to override 50 yrs of programming
Jeff, there are two kinds of people in this world. Spectators and participants. Forget all the quips, quotes, and parables. Which one are you?