Sponsored

Warthog vs Rubicon 392 ( Car and Driver)

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can’t believe this Jeep is going to come out before we even get our early reservation Broncos. And it’s going to have over 150 more HP than the 2.7. Another Ford fail.
As a Jeep owner, this is great. As a soon to be again Bronco owner, this is great as well.

Ford did not fail by far (unless we’re talking about B&P being a joke or Mid/Manual availability, then.... well.... yes), Ford kicked jeep in the ass and finally got them to start putting the goods into the products. It’s going to be a battle of one upsmanship for a long time.... and that’s with the bronco not even hitting the road yet. Look at the big picture.
Sponsored

Brock27

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a Jeep owner, this is great. As a soon to be again Bronco owner, this is great as well.

Ford did not fail by far (unless we’re talking about B&P being a joke or Mid/Manual availability, then.... well.... yes), Ford kicked jeep in the ass and finally got them to start putting the goods into the products. It’s going to be a battle of one upsmanship for a long time.... and that’s with the bronco not even hitting the road yet. Look at the big picture.
Big picture? Sure, both sides should make rapid improvements throughout the upcoming years based on outdoing one another. But when it comes to dropping $65k on a Bronco in 2021 it'd be comforting to know I won't be made obsolete by the 2022 Bronco- or the 2020 Rubicon for that matter.
The Wrangler can't compete with the looks and features of the Bronco imo. I guess we have until mid 2021 to gauge the competition before committing to the Bronco- if it looks like major strides will be made within 1-2 years, I'll lease instead of paying cash.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The article mentions cost of the 392 should come under 50k, I have a hard time believing that. I would imagine more like 60k.
lol, no...price a Rubicon with a v6. Anybody that thinks this will go under $70k is delusional.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The article mentions cost of the 392 should come under 50k, I have a hard time believing that. I would imagine more like 60k.
A moderately equipped Rubicon is $50k. No WAY this is under $50k. I actually see it around $65-70k.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford GT 660 HP 3.5 Ecoboost but Fords not gonna do that. They should at least tune it to 450 with more torque than the 392 Wranglers.

I can’t believe this Jeep is going to come out before we even get our early reservation Broncos. And it’s going to have over 150 more HP than the 2.7. Another Ford fail.
what you're describing is the current 3.5 HO Raptor engine.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I stated earlier, a wrangler rubicon 4dr, similar options with the $4500 ecodiesel engine comes in at $63k, then add $2k for their 2" lift they install onto the 392 and you're at 65k. The 392 engine is going to cost at least double what the ecodiesel does and then take into account the bead-lock capable wheels, upgraded leather, paddle shifters, other 392 addons and you're easily sitting at $73-75k

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since we are waiting for 2022 on the Bronco and white roof, we will strongly consider this Wrangler and will look at it and the Bronco at same time. I figure 60k for one, which is maybe 5-7k more than the Bronco we built.
That 392 is a gem with plenty of power and torque. We have the 5.7 in our Grand Cherokee and it’s been rock solid. I’ve also had some Challengers with 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis and driven them with 392. 392 all day over the others. this should be cool in a straight line...
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy but it will be alot more then the 60k you are figuring, i dont know where you got that number but if you knew the price of a built up rubicon right now then you would know it cost about 60 for a rubicon now with all the bells and whistles the 392 is offering, then you consider all the upgrades the 392 has including that much more expensive engine and i would be surprised if its under 70k.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford GT 660 HP 3.5 Ecoboost but Fords not gonna do that. They should at least tune it to 450 with more torque than the 392 Wranglers.

Stop being a debbie downer it, its not a Ford fail, that wrangler is going to cost around 70 or 80k and Ford and Jeep know that it wont sell that many, most people may want it but cant afford it, Ford is trying to sell as many Broncos as possible while making them one of if not the best off roading suv, which we dont know for sure yet but they look to be spot on. THey werent trying to make the fastest and most expensive off road vehicle so its not a Ford fail buddy, if you think so then go buy a 80k Jeep and stop complaining

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I stated earlier, a wrangler rubicon 4dr, similar options with the $4500 ecodiesel engine comes in at $63k, then add $2k for their 2" lift they install onto the 392 and you're at 65k. The 392 engine is going to cost at least double what the ecodiesel does and then take into account the bead-lock capable wheels, upgraded leather, paddle shifters, other 392 addons and you're easily sitting at $73-75k
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy but it will be alot more then the 60k you are figuring, i dont know where you got that number but if you knew the price of a built up rubicon right now then you would know it cost about 60 for a rubicon now with all the bells and whistles the 392 is offering, then you consider all the upgrades the 392 has including that much more expensive engine and i would be surprised if its under 70k.

I’m with you guys $70K+, at least until they become lot queens and get canceled I would guess 2 or 3 years but that’s just my opinion. It is nice to see them react to the Bronco but I see it being a lot of hype followed by a huge let down, sure there will be some takers just to have it. Not that it’s my thing but I think the first one to get a hybrid out there is probably going to have the biggest impact on the market.
I guess I kind of see the 392 as making all of the good traits of a Jeep worse and all of the bad traits even more worse. But who knows I’m probably wrong it’s happened before.... once

Sponsored
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everybody relax with all this crazy talk that Ford failed because Jeep is releasing the 392, and blah blah blah, Ford didnt fail, the goal was to bring back one of the most iconic suv's and make it one of the best selling and best off roading vehicles on the road. And while we are waiting to see the end results so far with looks and sales they are doing better then planned and def not failing. Jeep can have a 70 or 80k 392 Jeep but being priced that high doesnt sell so thats not what Ford wanted right away bringing the Bronco back. And once the warthog gets released hp will be a lot closer if not better if they want and still have the better looking vehicle. So everyone relax with all the negative comments and relax and have a little faith in the Bronco, or go buy the 392 Jeep if you have the 80k to spend.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since we are waiting for 2022 on the Bronco and white roof, we will strongly consider this Wrangler and will look at it and the Bronco at same time. I figure 60k for one, which is maybe 5-7k more than the Bronco we built.
That 392 is a gem with plenty of power and torque. We have the 5.7 in our Grand Cherokee and it’s been rock solid. I’ve also had some Challengers with 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis and driven them with 392. 392 all day over the others. this should be cool in a straight line...
So how fast can you go offroading and rock crawling?

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This most def be about $67K+. Trackhawk was a 100K.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Im still not yet convinced bout over $70k starting price. Grand Cherokee had Eco diesel option in the past alongside the SRT, and SRT on grand Cherokee and Durango come with the same kinda extras standard apart from lift and beadlock wheels. Prices are very similar between all 3 models for trims with the same 3.6 engines, so I don’t really see why the wrangler SRT wouldn’t fall in similar price range to grand Cherokee and Durango SRT. Durango starts at $62k, grand Cherokee at $69k. Grand cherokee highest trim with the 3.6 is much higher starting price than either Durango or wrangler, and the lowest trim starts higher priced too. So I could see the wrangler slotting in between at around $66k starting price. It’s not like there’s much they had to actually design to make this, not a brand new engine or new ground-up wrangler platform, just finally putting together pieces they’ve had for years. If it starts at $75k base price then it’ll be almost in the price range as 2021 Durango hellcat
Sponsored