Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You make reasonable assumptions, however, until we get validation from Ford, this remains an open case. Most likely the OP will take this to his dealer and Ford will never hear about the issue so we will never know if this is a problem or not.

The only one stressed here is you, no one is panicking, the Bronco is a brand new design and until we have more information on the cause of this issue, we should not excuse Ford.

Using your assumptions:
"It would be reasonable to assume that Ford designed the" Trail Camera to not be blocked by the winch.
"It would be reasonable to assume that Ford designed the" Winch Mount to not block the ACC sensor.
"It would be reasonable to assume that Ford designed the" A/C vents to provide more air.
and we all know how these turned out.
With all due respect, making a Federal Case (literally) out of one instance of a new Bronco having a water leak in the A-pillar seems to be a bit of a panic move IMO. The vehicle has been in production for a little bit over a month. I doubt it is a design flaw or a systemic workmanship issue.

The last thing Ford needs right now with the Bronco, is a NHSTA investigation. None of us will ever get a Bronco once the Feds are called in over a one-off water leak. At most this is a warranty issue that the Dealership, acting as Ford's representative, is the first-tier functionary to try and resolve it.

It would be reasonable for Ford to follow SAE specifications for design of the airbag system since the Bronco wouldn't pass Federal safety standards.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜88 911,ā€˜15 Chevy 2500, ā€˜24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dealer call me Friday afternoon to inform me my Wildtrak was in. Took for a quick test ride and dropped back at dealer for PPI. Will take delivery early next week. Meanwhile in Northeast CTā€¦
Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain 1626613228801

Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain 1626613416152
Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain 1626613322767

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™d be out there with a garden hose trying to see whatā€™s going on in a more controlled environment vs. waiting for more rain.
Roof leaks are smart. They can tell the difference between a cold wet dreary day when you have a headache, vs a sunny Saturday afternoon where you finally have time and motivation to hunt down that leak.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shouldā€™ve waited for a MY22 donā€™t know what to tell ya.
Yeah cause theres no way a my 22 will not have any problems when itā€™s probably going to be identical to my21

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You do know that the modular roof won't be available next year right? Earliest it will be available is 2023.
And I wouldn't give it good odds of being early MY2023 either, way things are going

Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With all due respect, making a Federal Case (literally) out of one instance of a new Bronco having a water leak in the A-pillar seems to be a bit of a panic move IMO. The vehicle has been in production for a little bit over a month. I doubt it is a design flaw or a systemic workmanship issue.

The last thing Ford needs right now with the Bronco, is a NHSTA investigation. None of us will ever get a Bronco once the Feds are called in over a one-off water leak. At most this is a warranty issue that the Dealership, acting as Ford's representative, is the first-tier functionary to try and resolve it.

It would be reasonable for Ford to follow SAE specifications for design of the airbag system since the Bronco wouldn't pass Federal safety standards.
I'm not worried about water leaks, the actual leak is inconsequential. The fact that a leak funnels into the airbag compartment is a MASSIVE safety problem.
Forget about a leak, when the inevitable happens and I get caught in the rain without the top on, I now need to have the airbags replaced?!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Best way to find a water leak is by using a smoke test machine.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not worried about water leaks, the actual leak is inconsequential. The fact that a leak funnels into the airbag compartment is a MASSIVE safety problem.
Forget about a leak, when the inevitable happens and I get caught in the rain without the top on, I now need to have the airbags replaced?!
LOL.

Why is it a MASSIVE safety problem?

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

LOL.

Why is it a MASSIVE safety problem?
Make an appointment at your dealer. A wet air bag/module/connector is nothing to be messing around with. Terminals are gold plated and donā€™t tollerate moisture intrusion. Just sayinā€™
You can "LOL" your dismissiveness all you want, water channeling into the airbag chamber is not good.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Caught in heavy rain today with the MIC top. Water started dripping then running from passenger side airbag near windshield. Havenā€™t been able to troubleshoot yet.

Photo is after the water was mostly wiped off. But youā€™ll get the idea.

I hope itā€™s from the top and not the windshield.

Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain 1626613322767

Looks like a vent there, in the pillar. Could it be condensation build up with temp/humidity change, after the A/C was turned on for the first few minutes?

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Looks like a vent there, in the pillar. Could it be condensation build up with temp/humidity change, after the A/C was turned on for the first few minutes?
In my test drive yesterday, the AC was not coming out of the a-pillar vents (I specifically noted this as I wasnā€™t sure what the vents were for). I assume they are for heat & defrost mode specifically to clear side windows. Unsure though.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can "LOL" your dismissiveness all you want, water channeling into the airbag chamber is not good.
I laugh because most of you guys don't know what you are talking about. I was going to leave alone what flip said wrote, but now that you brought it up again, please read the below very carefully.

Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain goldconn.PNG

You'll note this is from a real article about the use of gold in electro connector manufacturing. I thought someone else might bring it up, but gold is used in electrical connectors for airbags specifically for its resistance to corrosion.

And again, if the airbag module becomes inoperable due to water intrusion, the airbag self-check will report it as a system falt.

LOL.

Last edited:

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I laugh because most of you guys don't know what you are talking about. I was going to leave a lone what flip said wrote, but now that you brought it up again, please read the below very carefully.

You'll note this is from a real article about the use of gold in electro connector manufacturing. I thought someone else might bring it up, but gold is used in electrical connectors for airbags specifically for its resistance to corrosion.

LOL.
Resistance to corrosion does not mean it will not corrode in standing water.

But keep insulting people that they don't know what they are talking about.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Caught in heavy rain today with the MIC top. Water started dripping then running from passenger side airbag near windshield. Havenā€™t been able to troubleshoot yet.

Photo is after the water was mostly wiped off. But youā€™ll get the idea.

I hope itā€™s from the top and not the windshield.

Just curious: what is your build? Do you have roof racks?

I seem to recall in a BN video about the Aux wiring there is a hole up by the passenger side roof railwindshield attach point to run wiring for lights. I wonder if that isnā€™t sealed all the way. I would inspect up there under the roof rack attachment or the cover cap. Maybe running your hose to see if you get the water coming in.

OP
OP
Mattbar1

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just curious: what is your build? Do you have roof racks?

I seem to recall in a BN video about the Aux wiring there is a hole up by the passenger side roof railwindshield attach point to run wiring for lights. I wonder if that isnā€™t sealed all the way. I would inspect up there under the roof rack attachment or the cover cap. Maybe running your hose to see if you get the water coming in.
First Edition 4 door. No roof rack.
Sponsored