First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Explains everything!! My Ranger was awful until I installed the Ford tune. It made shift pattern different and made a not very good shift pattern great! Hopefully the Ford performance tune that comes out this fall would do the same for your Bronco. The added hp and torque seemed to help the vehicle not shift for gears as much too!!

Definitely worth trying, once it's out.
My buddy just put that Ford tune in his 2.3 Ranger, and he says it's night and day better. I'd never even heard of it... 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate your 10-speed too. Actually I hate all automatic transmissions. The only thing worse than an automatic is those horrible CVTs.
You can hear the droning as you read CVT

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3L auto in ours… when we first picked it up from the dealer (with only 20 miles on it) the shifts were quite rough. I recall commenting about it to my wife during our initial drive.

I was driving it again last night (now has ~ 700 miles on it) and it is much smoother. Pretty happy with the power train overall.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

4,500 miles on my 2.3 Auto, and it shifts quickly and unnoticeably. No issues or hesitations.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems to always be on its way to tenth or fifth and can’t decide on anywhere in between the revs just hang when you let off from partial acceleration. Damn mid pkg. got me. Maybe a badlands mid 7spd.🤔

edit:
8 spd zf based trans is always in the right gear.
I've only had my bronco a little over a week and have only put a couple of hundred miles but I was literally thinking about how smooth the 10 spd is.🤣

Sponsored

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
mines fine... but I dont really have occasion to go full send very often where I have to worry about it droping 5 gears.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2.3 or 2.7, Bronco or Mustang, it doesn't matter the 10r60 and 80s are all trash. They're at their worst in the first few gears and part throttle. Lurchy as hell under light acceleration or holding a low speed through an intersection, and they kick you from behind as you slow to a stop. That 2-1 shift is downright abysmal Every. Single. Time.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the 2.3 engine with the 10 speed. I keep mine in 4A most all of the time, sometimes in sport mode too. I find the shifts pretty smooth, the only exception is it's occasionally "jerky" as it comes to a stop if it's not in sport mode. Overall I'm pretty impressed with it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Seems to always be on its way to tenth or fifth and can’t decide on anywhere in between the revs just hang when you let off from partial acceleration. Damn mid pkg. got me. Maybe a badlands mid 7spd.🤔

edit:
8 spd zf based trans is always in the right gear.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the only "learning" your transmission is doing is learning how to get into 10th gear sooner.

The 10AT in our Ranger is the sole weak point of that vehicle.

Unless, of course, you think driving up an incline under load at 30 mph should be done in 10th?

Or that the brown-note inducing THUD of gears slamming into other gears at every 10-4 downshift on the highway to pass is fun and exciting.

10at is an absolute turd of a transmission built for one reason and one reason only: EPA fuel economy ratings.

Your enjoyment was not part of the powertrain engineering panel design.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless, of course, you think driving up an incline under load at 30 mph should be done in 10th?
WHY are we not just switching to Manual mode in this situation? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 32220

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the only "learning" your transmission is doing is learning how to get into 10th gear sooner.

The 10AT in our Ranger is the sole weak point of that vehicle.

Or that the brown-note inducing THUD of gears slamming into other gears at every 10-4 downshift on the highway to pass is fun and exciting.

10at is an absolute turd of a transmission built for one reason and one reason only: EPA fuel economy ratings.

Your enjoyment was not part of the powertrain engineering panel design.
The plot thickens… I didn’t anticipate it changing much. I know I don’t like it. Your description of its behavior is quite accurate.

The zf never missed a beat always where it needed to be without even thinking about it. My last vehicle was a 2020 2DR jl 2.0T ZF8. That was the best part of the vehicle, all other jeep deficiencies apply especially the short wheelbase. She liked to use 1 1/2 lanes of road.☹

My signature may be changing soon. Do I go for the cold ass and reorder same thing or add the front locker and sway bar disconnect and get a badlands mid.

Central NY just doesn’t have any trails to use that hardware. I may have to start traveling to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Deleted member 32220

WHY are we not just switching to Manual mode in this situation? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I would rather shift a real trans than play with that button. That’s just a suggestion button. It will comply when able.

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm only 250 miles in but the way it constantly dives for the higher gears is a little annoying around town, VERY annoying in my hilly neighborhood, and downright jerky climbing my very steep driveway. I'm getting used to hitting the driveway at speed.

I have Forscan and will be enabling sport mode this week. We'll see how much of a difference it makes.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After coming from a Tacoma which has truly awful stock auto shifting., the Bronco does pretty well. I can't say it's perfect but the 10 spd does a fair job of shifting. No big complaints.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can hear the droning as you read CVT
Hey now, I loved the CVT in my Grizzly 600! :p

2.3 or 2.7, Bronco or Mustang, it doesn't matter the 10r60 and 80s are all trash. They're at their worst in the first few gears and part throttle. Lurchy as hell under light acceleration or holding a low speed through an intersection, and they kick you from behind as you slow to a stop. That 2-1 shift is downright abysmal Every. Single. Time.
I have no complaints about my Bronco 10R but the 6R in my old F250 was terrible and exactly as you state. I actually thought it broke something one day going to 1st at a stop sign but I guess I'd take that hard shifting over the gummy bear shifting the E4OD did in my 93 Bronco. I do agree that it'd be nice to be able to lock out high gears and that's the only thing I miss about the 6R.
Sponsored