Sponsored

Why didn't Ford offer rolling rear window?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This discussion already happened here, with umpteen owners shouting down those who would believe that todays engineering can make one that is reliable.
Apparently they cannot, according to owners of said roller windows.

I can only attest to seeing more not functioning ones than working ones. Have had only one, 88 K5 Blazer, it worked.
Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So the windows in the removable doors will be flip-down, too, because “complexity” “weight” “fragility” “interface with top” .... right?

???

JK

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a 79, the rear window drive broke with some regularity, and climbing over the back seat to get into the unopenable tailgate was a pain. I did not have rust issues in the tailgate, but I could totally see that.

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
would reduce interior room, and add weight to a already heavy bitch

Sponsored

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 78 Bronco has a rolling rear window. It is the first thing to rust. I like it, but it is so heavy. I'd rather have it attached to the topper.

Txchewy

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 89 had a rolling rear window.. i loved it while driving especially on the highway as it removed all turbulence. If I remember correctly though you had to roll down the window (with the key) to open the tailgate. I could live with that again but probably not good for a grocery getter. If the weather is nice I plan to have the doors and top off anyway. If the weather is not nice I plan to get wet or cold.

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m only eyeballing it, but I doubt the window would recess all the way into the tailgate.

OP
OP
maxmxa

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They could have at least offered it on the Bronco Sport which has the flip up tailgate. I would hope that we have more advanced technology than 30 years ago to alleviate the mechanical issues the old Broncos had. I think it just comes down to saving cost of design and manufacturing.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah that's my only gripe about the Bronco design. But is there a single vehicle on the market that has a tailgate with a window that rolls down into it?

I think the spare tire is the issue.

Mounted on the tailgate, it would conflict with the mechanicals in the tailgate required to move the window.

If you mount it separately on a swinging tire carrier, that conflicts with the removable fenders, and adds one more thing you have to get out fo the way before you can access the cargo area. Not ideal.

Or you can store the spare in the Cargo area, like previous gen Bronco, but that's not good because you lose space.

No room under the truck, like Land Cruisers, because that's where the gas tank is.

There just isn't really a good way to have a tailgate with a roll down window in it, and a spare tire that you have to deal with on a vehicle the size of the new Bronco.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the rear window was part of the tailgate, and rolled up and down, the interface between window and removable top (one fixed, the other less fixed) would be prone to instability leading to window breakage and/or leakiness.

A possible solution would to have the window hinge inward and still to be part of the top.

I agree that the rear window on the 4Runner was a terrific feature.

Nate
How do you explain the frameless passenger doors then?

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think that adding the glass, mechanisms, motors, etc, would add considerable weight to a hinge that already has to deal with a 100lb spare tire and a 4' wide tailgate. The window would be about 15-20 lbs (or more?), the motor/mechanisms probably another 20. Adding 35 lbs to that tailgate would be a serious strain on the hinges and latches--probably a similar change to going from a 33" spare to a 37" spare. Jeep sells special reinforcements for the hinges to go up to a 35" spare, so there is that.

I think it could be done, I think that it is a feature that probably did not get a lot of push from the focus group, and they were aiming at early Bronco (with a rear window very similar to what we are getting), not Gen 2-5 Bronco (with the roll-up window in the tailgate). It would certainly be easiest in a flip down (rather than swing to the right) tailgate, but that either moves the spare inside (like the Gen 2-5 Bronco) or on a separate swing mounted to the tailgate or bumper.

At the end of the day, most owners would either a) never roll down the window except to open the tailgate anyway, making it less convenient than a flip-up, b) drive around with the top off (making it irrelevant), or c) Use it sometimes, but not often. Some would use it daily, but that is probably a small group. Those on this forum may be a bad sample to judge from.

Overall, I would like the roll down window, but it is nowhere near a deal-breaker if I don't get it. I have a slider in my current truck and use it only a few times a year, mainly because it is manual and a bit hard to reach from the driver's seat.

FastM400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator L, Wrangler JKU, Noble M400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have looked at FJ55's for years and one of the selling points is always "electric back window in working condition"

I guess Ford doesnt want a recall on their hands the first year, but it would have been very cool no doubt. Lets see if any third party wants to give a go, I mean some nut actually created a automatic top for the Jeep, thats cool too.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also probably it doesn’t help that the damn thing is already 5,000 pounds.
Sponsored