Sponsored

Why is the BB so much more than the Base?

OP
OP

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All this hoo-ha about the Sasquatch package is a red herring. If I WANTED a set of giant "mud bog" looking tires and a jacked up monster truck...I'd get one. But I'm not, so I'm getting all the options I need, for cheaper.
but my point still stands. Is the $1495 mid package that's touted as 'such a great value' really that great a value when it locked behind a WAY overpriced 5k trim level bump?

Now lets assume you're not referring to the mid package. Fine, Basic auto BB no other options: $37,120. Basesquatch: $37,380. When mansquatch comes we can reconvene, but if you want rear lockers, basesquatch is still cheaper than BB
Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I didn't get the mid options package. I didn't need any of that stuff, so I didn't pay for the mid package. I got a BB, standard option package, with a rear locking differential. That's it. How much more will I pay than if I got a Base 4-door (rhetorical question - doesn't matter because I have a VIN for my BB)? Whatever that amount, each person has to decide if the added items I listed are worth that cost.

But it seems to me you'd pay $1000 for a set of custom wheels, then another $1000 to put tires on them. Then $500 for a rear locking differential, parts and labor. Then.... it all adds up. Heck, let's SWAG the prices of the list (IF you wanted all this, not saying you do):

1. Locking rear diff -$500
  2. Mud/Ruts G.O.A.T Mode -$priceless, or perhaps $400
  3. Sandstone interior -$500 for custom interior retrofit
  4. 17" alloy wheels - $1000
  5. 17" AT tires - $1000
  6. LED fog lamps -$200
  7. Leather wrapped wheel and shifter knob - $250
  8. Certain exterior colors -$0-1500, if you care to change the color
  9. Extra Grab Handle - $25
  10. Privacy tint glass - $200
  11. Time, trouble, and non-factory installs - $how much is your time worth?
Total: $4075 - $6000 (if you want to paint/wrap to get your color)

Last edited:

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've looked at model comparison charts over and over, and I just don't get it. Everything good about the BB is just options. Real differences are leather wrapped wheel, rims and tires, more GOATs. What else am I missing?

Sure everyone says the mid package is such a great value... but you're paying 5k more for a vehicle with maybe $1000 worth of upgrades to allow you to get the "cheap" 1500 package

It's even worse for manual transmissions, as you can't get the rear locker or the mid package with the BB stick.

I guess what this rant is really getting at, is how do I add a towing receiver to the base I have ordered, because I refuse to pay 5600 for a towing package
I agree 110% with your assessment. Ford is forcing buyers to pay an almost $5,000 premium for the chance to spend even more money on options or to get a color not offered. You get minor upgrades comparing the standard Base to the Standard Big Bend: Leather wrapped wheel and shifter, grab handle, 17" Aluminum wheels, fog lights and tinted rear glass. That should be about a $1,200 difference not a $5,000. In 5 years the base will be significantly higher in resale value/depreciation than the BB based on % of original MSRP. I am gonna keep my order in spite of all the fails/quality but switching to a Base for this reason. Adding paint protection film, aux switches, door key pad and floor matts: Base $30,755. Same order in Big Bend $35,640. Ford almost got me. I had a $40,400 BB ordered just to get mid and rear locker, which forced me to upgrade to auto etc. It really is a terrible deal for the $10k extra I would have paid. Or the Base is just a steal, one or the other. I was gonna upgrade tires on my BB so that's a wash. $100 for tinted windows, I don't need the extra GOAT. If Fords traction control is anything like my 2012 Jeep, I should be fine without the locker too, although it should be an option on every Bronco. And the tiny 30" street tires? Seriously?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You are missing a few features, and have a few misunderstandings. There is no way you could retrofit what the Big Bend gives you for $1200, this side of China.

No, you don't have to upgrade the engine or transmission to get a locking rear differential. I did a tally above, comes to a very conservatively estimated $4000 if you wanted to retro-fit what the Big Bend gives you - in a non-factory set of work orders, running around town for weeks, and getting aftermarket quality.

But to each his own. If money is that important, save it and get a Base. The same arguments are made against the Middle or Lux trim packages. Are they "worth" their cost? Only to someone that wants each and every feature in the package. For every one that wants the 12" screen, there is another that doesn't want the heated steering wheel. I'm still trying to figure out why the higher trim with the "washout" interior (cheap rubber on the floor with a hole in it you can see the road through) costs more.

Last edited:

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Signature lighting package is pretty nice too and not even available on the Black Diamond.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned yet that you can’t even get a manual on a 4dr base.

I definitely see the value in a 2 door base, but cactus gray 4dr BB manual with rear locker is a nice sweet spot for me.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Your looking at it wrong. BB price is what they want it to be. 2 door Base price is artificially low to just beat the Wranglers "starting at" price. Look at the price difference between 4 door Base and BB, $2k. If you can live with a base 2 door you win.

OP
OP

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Look at the price difference between 4 door Base and BB, $2k.
That's not a fair comparison. 4dr base has an auto, 4 door BB has a stick.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All this hoo-ha about the Sasquatch package is a red herring. If I WANTED a set of giant "mud bog" looking tires and a jacked up monster truck...I'd get one. But I'm not, so I'm getting all the options I need, for cheaper.

Trim/option packages are as old as the Fairlane, and I mean the 1950s one. You have to look carefully at what you want. Some people will squeak in for a lot less than others do, because they don't want some features. Been that way for generations buying a new car in America. 20 years ago I bought an F-150 ordered from the factory. I got the XL trim....it's all I needed.
Yep, I was torn between Basesquatch and BB non Squatch. Few hundred dollars difference. I wanted the lockers and suspension, but I didn't want the tires/wheels of Squatch. And I got the BB bits to soften the pain of no front locker. I've always been one to get the most basic vehicle that suits my needs. I usually save tens of thousands of dollars foregoing bells and whistles. A Basesquatch, properly equipped BB or non Sas BL are the sweet spots IMHO, BD ain't bad either but MGV (applies to BL also) are not my preference.

Last edited:

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They purposely underpriced the Base for the ability to say the Bronco starts under X $s.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I actually don’t know the allure of BB or OBX? Can someone explain? I get base, BD, BL wild track and obviously first edition.

Sponsored

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually don’t know the allure of BB or OBX? Can someone explain? I get base, BD, BL wild track and obviously first edition.
BB is for people that don’t want a base, to compete with the wrangler sport S and for rental cars.
OBX is for people that want different / nicer interior choices.

Agreed, to many trims. I don’t get BD. The only trims that appealed to me was Base or BL.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only reason I see to go from Base to BB is for the locking rear differential. That just isn't worth $5500.

You get leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter. And... ???

17" wheels that's worth a little I guess. The tires on both Base and BB are garbage P-rated tires, so it's not worth a dime to move from one to the other.

The only option I put on the base was the Aux switches and Rapid Red, and they took Red away.

I could see moving up to BD if I could get cloth seats, but vinyl is murder in Arizona.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've looked at model comparison charts over and over, and I just don't get it. Everything good about the BB is just options. Real differences are leather wrapped wheel, rims and tires, more GOATs. What else am I missing?

Sure everyone says the mid package is such a great value... but you're paying 5k more for a vehicle with maybe $1000 worth of upgrades to allow you to get the "cheap" 1500 package

It's even worse for manual transmissions, as you can't get the rear locker or the mid package with the BB stick.

I guess what this rant is really getting at, is how do I add a towing receiver to the base I have ordered, because I refuse to pay 5600 for a towing package
I know this is an old post, but I also debated Base or BB before deciding on Base. No regrets. With the Base I added the HD bumper, Brush Guard, Aux switches, and still saved over $3000 over BB without these things. That said, I didn't want any of the option packages so it basically came down to wheels and leather steering wheel. I'm very happy with both the non-leather steering wheel and steel wheels.

Ford Bronco Why is the BB so much more than the Base? IMG_20220711_092333899_HDR

IMG_20220711_092405261_HDR.jpg

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only reason I see to go from Base to BB is for the locking rear differential. That just isn't worth $5500.

You get leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter. And... ???

17" wheels that's worth a little I guess. The tires on both Base and BB are garbage P-rated tires, so it's not worth a dime to move from one to the other.

The only option I put on the base was the Aux switches and Rapid Red, and they took Red away.

I could see moving up to BD if I could get cloth seats, but vinyl is murder in Arizona.
Exactly what makes the tires garbage? Not everyone wants or needs giant or off road tires.
Sponsored