Sponsored

Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ?

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. The only thing I would consider would be a New International Scout. And that is only because of the nostalgia factor for me - my Grandfather had one for many years. I don’t have any ties to the Bronco like that - unlike most others here, it seems.
Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Toyota screwed up when they discontinued the FJ, those are worth nearly as much (if not more) than new on the nicer examples. Ford swooped in and took that market thankfully because I've always wanted a resto-mod original Bronco but at $100K starting price it was never going to happen. If Toyota wants back in, they're next model would need removable doors and roof. I'm all for them trying, it can only force better products from Ford.
Toyota still makes FJ for other countries like Australia.

KJM76

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 76 FJ40 that is a beast. Love that truck. Toyota came out with FJ Cruiser and I was extremely disappointed, I had zero interest. Ford has knocked the Bronco out of the park. It would take a hail mary from Toyota for me to switch from the Bronco (and that is taking for granted that Toyota has already secretly had this concept in their pipeline and it would be available at the same time).

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love a base model modern FJ40, 55, 60, 70 or 80.
But sad reality is that the Toyota will be out of my price range. If my Bronco will come in around $35k, the Yota will be $45 at a minimum.
My 2017 Tacoma was about $25k new, sold 4 years later with 60k miles for $22,500.00.
Just for shits I priced the same truck but with a v6 last week, and started wishing I hadn't sold the '17.
I am all in on a Bronco now, and daily driving my beat up old jeep with 250k miles, re-tread 33's and a welded rearend, because it's paid for until Ford quits jackin us around waiting for the Bronco.
I hope like hell I don't regret this move.
Curious why you say the Toyota would be more than a comparable bronco? I recently built a loaded TRD Pro Tundra and a comparable Ford FX4 Lariat and the Toyota was more than $8k less and came with an exhaust system, and fox suspension.

I find that Toyotas are somewhat reasonable on initial purchase but hold their value so well that buying used almost never makes sense.

Sponsored

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Curious why you say the Toyota would be more than a comparable bronco? I recently built a loaded TRD Pro Tundra and a comparable Ford FX4 Lariat and the Toyota was more than $8k less and came with an exhaust system, and fox suspension.

I find that Toyotas are somewhat reasonable on initial purchase but hold their value so well that buying used almost never makes sense.
I didn't necessarily mean "comparable", as the 4 cylinders are not equal in power. I'd be getting a v6 Tacoma, because my only complaint with mine was it was underpowered.
And I'd want a TRD offroad for the rear locker, and they're hard to find with the access cab and 6ft bed, so I'd likely get stuck with a 4 door. By the time I got the truck I wanted, I was over 40k, where the Bronco I want will be right around $35k.
So a specialty offroad rig would probably be even more than a Tacoma, as shown by 4runners and FJ Cruisers when they were available.
Fun fact, the first year FJ Cruiser started @ $17k new, and now a 2007 FJ with $150k miles is still about $17k around here.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't necessarily mean "comparable", as the 4 cylinders are not equal in power. I'd be getting a v6 Tacoma, because my only complaint with mine was it was underpowered.
And I'd want a TRD offroad for the rear locker, and they're hard to find with the access cab and 6ft bed, so I'd likely get stuck with a 4 door. By the time I got the truck I wanted, I was over 40k, where the Bronco I want will be right around $35k.
So a specialty offroad rig would probably be even more than a Tacoma, as shown by 4runners and FJ Cruisers when they were available.
Fun fact, the first year FJ Cruiser started @ $17k new, and now a 2007 FJ with $150k miles is still about $17k around here.
Ah, that makes sense. And yeah, Toyota’s seem to be the only rigs where you can actually call them an investment after buying one.

Pilot321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, and I like the FJ40 a lot!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a chance. I bleed blue and I am a Jayhawk fan. My father and uncles retired from fomoco and my brother, cousins, and son work for fomoco. I switched from wildtrack to badlands and I plan to take it on my elk hunting trip the first chance that I have.

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No - but I would for a well priced ex-MOD Defender...(110)

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Firstly, I am a diehard Ford guy but I am unapologetically admitting that you cannot beat Toyota's reliability. They are second to none. Still, with that being said, I have zero emotional or nostalgic attachment to the FJ. I contemplated getting one when the latest gen came out but never pulled the trigger. So no, even if a new Toyota FJ came out that was just as capable, I would still choose the Bronco.

Drinxxs04

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nope....I couldn’t do it...Because of one word.

America???

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A modern day FJ40? Good bye Ford.

No hard feelings and thank you for forcing Toyota's hand.
And they might just call it FJ 432!;)
Sponsored