First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not reading 200 pages of this, and not going to apologize for that 😂, but I finally checked and it sure looks like I might be one of the “good” ones, at least so far:
How do you figure that?
Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not reading 200 pages of this, and not going to apologize for that 😂, but I finally checked and it sure looks like I might be one of the “good” ones, at least so far:
Unfortunately you are in the thick of it like some of us.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

C4980AD7-9935-4B3E-B8F7-786C91D50C79.jpeg
“Good” as in “Bad”?

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ignorance is bliss? They wouldn't even read page 1 of the thread to see that an engine with the same Julian date has already failed.
No, but good try. Don’t be so bitter 🤙

I read the first page, and understand I share an engine build date with another owner whose engine failed. But I have 9000 miles on mine, so hopefully I am somehow escaping that fate.

Sponsored

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Add me to the list.
2021 2DR OBX 2.7 auto with 3,818 miles.

Catastrophic engine failure - a valve came loose and was crushed by the pistons or some such nonsense. Sucks to be me. Replacement motor is on order and could take a couple weeks. No loaner vehicle available. Good thing I’ve still got my 2014 Toyota Sequoia. 😂😭😢
Sorry to hear that. Timeline wise the average seems to have dropped to 3-4 weeks. Mine is at 2.5 weeks and I should have it back in a few days.

Reactions: R11

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read the first page, and understand I share an engine build date with another owner whose engine failed. But I have 9000 miles on mine, so hopefully I am somehow escaping that fate.
I thought I was in the clear with almost 7k miles, nope.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

For your sake I sure hope so…but what is the hopeful outlook based on? What do you hope they rubbed on your valves that they didn’t rub on the motor next to yours? Are you confident enough to keep it past warranty? If I was in those shoes, I would have another one on order already and trade ASAP. JMHO. May luck be with you! 🍀

Reactions: R11

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a
I'm not counting on that; seems unlikely at this point.
I'll be looking at '23 or '24 model Broncos and trade in my current one.
Was planning on doing that anyway to get a painted MOD top and tow. Maybe a Raptor if they aren't too wide for trails around here. AOAA was pretty tight with Badlands Sasquatch.

Wasn't planning on any engine mods, but I certainly won't be doing those now. Maybe the Ford tune, but only if there is no change to current powertrain warranty.
Other mods (suspension, armor) can be moved over. Or maybe I'd want to try different brands.

Thankfully Badlands Sasquatch is super capable trail rig, so I expect mods won't be needed for the trails I want to run in the next few years.

Or, Coyote V8 swap, but that defeats the purpose of me getting a new vehicle this time. Mods increase maintenance cost and downtime.

Wish there was more choice than Bronco and Wrangler for a new 4x4 that can easily run 35" tires. Wouldn't mind a Ford Everest Raptor Sasquatch 35 Package, but I doubt they'll make it or even offer the Everest in the USA.
I agree. Im not holding my breath but we need people to continue to file the NHTSA complaints.

The honest best case scenario for me and probably many others is that we walk to our garage one morning soon, press the ignition button, and the valve drops immediately.

That way nobody is injured, we get our replacement engine under warranty, and we move on with enjoying our Broncos.

4L0wBr0nc0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR Recon Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess what I am trying to figure out here, is if you have a Lima built AA 2.7 in this Julian range, what makes you think you may somehow be "spared" since the plant essentially pointed out the updated design/material change regarding Nano valves in their "State of the Plant" brochure from January. There doesn't seem to be any debate about whether this issue exists or not as both Ford techs and owners who have had this happen all mention it being valve related.

I suppose maybe not ALL of the valves may have been bad, just some? But with it being tied to design/material issues (their words, not mine), I don't see how there could be any non-effected valves being used during that time frame. And those mentioning miles, that is a very tough metric to base anything off of. The way driver A drives their truck vs. the way driver B does can make all the difference from a time/mileage perspective.

So, I am honestly curious, not trying to troll or call anyone out. It just seems that if you tick all these boxes, chances are it may just be a matter of time and the gamble there being that you hope it's still under warranty. Regardless, not a fun topic to be discussing while trying to enjoy your new long awaited Bronco.

Sponsored

A10Warthog

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra Terminator,Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To though who engine failed. What's your driving style when engine let goes? I believed my is on this engine build date list.

Bronco 2.7 Engine Code.jpg

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought I was in the clear with almost 7k miles, nope.
I'm a 21209, just crossed 7000 myself, but life circumstances leaves my Bronco parked nearly every day now. I'd almost rather it blow sooner rather than later because I have a lot of things I'd like to do. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of getting stranded off-road somewhere.

As for the argument that things can break anyway: no shit, really? this is my daily driver, thank you. sometimes I think a lot of the crowd have Bronco's as second (or third, or fifth) vehicles. I can however control how stupid I drive off-road and the likelihood of damaging a component. I can't say I can plan around an engine grenading.

EDIT:

Final comment: I've been in this situation before with a motorcycle. My Triumph 675 Daytona had the timing chain come off the crank shaft at 80mph on a Florida highway and locked the rear wheel up. It was absolutely terrifying for this to happen in traffic. It took Triumph USA six months to get me a new engine because it wasn't their "policy". I did eventually get it back, and rode it maybe three or four times before selling it and going and buying another Honda.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been following this thread since I took delivery of my '22 a month ago.

I have an AB build with Julian date of 354....so, I hope I'm in the clear. But keeping an eye on everything.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_BE93363C882E-1 2

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a 21209, just crossed 7000 myself, but life circumstances leaves my Bronco parked nearly every day now. I'd almost rather it blow sooner rather than later because I have a lot of things I'd like to do. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of getting stranded off-road somewhere.

As for the argument that things can break anyway: no shit, really? this is my daily driver, thank you. sometimes I think a lot of the crowd have Bronco's as second (or third, or fifth) vehicles. I can however control how stupid I drive off-road and the likelihood of damaging a component. I can't say I can plan around an engine grenading.

EDIT:

Final comment: I've been in this situation before with a motorcycle. My Triumph 675 Daytona had the timing chain come off the crank shaft at 80mph on a Florida highway and locked the rear wheel up. It was absolutely terrifying for this to happen in traffic. It took Triumph USA six months to get me a new engine because it wasn't their "policy". I did eventually get it back, and rode it maybe three or four times before selling it and going and buying another Honda.
Yeah, I'm 21207. Mine blew in a winter storm leaving me stranded with no heat for 2.5 hours. Also my daily driver.
Mine is the highest mileage one I know of to blow. Hopefully you made it over the hump, so to speak.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because I love to beat a dead horse, I'll leave my (hopefully) last comment on risk.

I don't compute a significant higher risk for me of injury or death b/c I now own/drive a Bronco with an engine in the range of known, (most-likely) statistically significant, complete failures.
There are many other ways to incur injury and death; I don't see this moving the needle for me and I'm not even an 'organ donor' (motorcycle rider) any more. One of the reasons I stopped riding is because the risk put me into a mental state that no longer let me enjoy it. The roads are too crowded around here in North East USA.
But, hey, I'm not an actuary! I don't actually compute my risk.

I do see increased risk of nuisance (not legal def) and time (which is $$), the exact opposite reason I chose to purchase a new vehicle. Because of this, lack of alternatives, and I love the Bronco, I'll be pushed into trading it in for another one b/c it doesn't look like Ford will address the issue. It appears Ford would rather we shoulder the cost (early trade/down time) of their known manufacturing defect.
Still, my perceived risk isn't high enough to immediately start the process. Perhaps if I relied on the Bronco for income and the estimated cost of down-time was too great I would consider ordering a '22 and not waiting for any new features/options.

Peace.
Sponsored