Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, honest question here that I will probably get roasted for: If you are that concerned about it that you don' t like to take anyone in it, why not sell it? The market is crazy and you could make enough on it to have a good down payment for something else.

Not trying to start shit, just really wondering. If I had a vehicle that I was afraid to drive, I would get rid of it.
Because I love this vehicle. I reserved it on day 1, waited 18 months for it, and have really lived and breathed it since I put my $100 down. I’m invested to say the least.

Maybe I’m being naive but I just keep hoping that @Ford Motor Company does right by us and issues a recall for the affected owners or at the very least releases a TSB describing the problem and our odds of being impacted.
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You obviously didn't live through the 4 runner head gasket debacle.
I only commented on the video referenced in the post which was a Tacoma with a dead engine.

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You're right, it is completely unreasonable for us to expect anything from Ford officially addressing what is clearly a growing issue.
growing …. to 44? out of how many vehicles?

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Add me to the list.
2021 2DR OBX 2.7 auto with 3,818 miles.

Catastrophic engine failure - a valve came loose and was crushed by the pistons or some such nonsense. Sucks to be me. Replacement motor is on order and could take a couple weeks. No loaner vehicle available. Good thing I’ve still got my 2014 Toyota Sequoia. 😂😭😢

Well according to many people on this forum, you have a warranty so it's no big deal. Get over it.

But reality, and real common sense actually says this is really F'd up...Ford knows about the issue and refuses to fix it ahead of time, or even acknowledge it. The only good news is that your replacement engine should be at least an AB (I would not let them replace with another AA), And then you'll know you'll be good.

Sponsored

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am looking at buying a Bronco from a dealer. Any chance at finding the engine build date from the vin # or am I just stupid?

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am looking at buying a Bronco from a dealer. Any chance at finding the engine build date from the vin # or am I just stupid?
Yes but there is a square label on the engine?

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 71E1171C-0E3F-4AAE-8804-60F1A130277E

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
thanks Baja, I will go to the dealer and verify.thanks. I do have the vin # on the window sticker but the truck is 100 miles away

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks Baja, I will go to the dealer and verify.thanks. I do have the vin # on the window sticker but the truck is 100 miles away
Oh, gotcha. Maybe they would snap a pic for you?

I think @Lucchese can determine date from the VIN.

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yup, I will ask…thx again.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it has AB rather than AA, you’re probably golden. If it has AA- check the Julian date closely!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because I love this vehicle. I reserved it on day 1, waited 18 months for it, and have really lived and breathed it since I put my $100 down. I’m invested to say the least.

Maybe I’m being naive but I just keep hoping that @Ford Motor Company does right by us and issues a recall for the affected owners or at the very least releases a TSB describing the problem and our odds of being impacted.
I'm not counting on that; seems unlikely at this point.
I'll be looking at '23 or '24 model Broncos and trade in my current one.
Was planning on doing that anyway to get a painted MOD top and tow. Maybe a Raptor if they aren't too wide for trails around here. AOAA was pretty tight with Badlands Sasquatch.

Wasn't planning on any engine mods, but I certainly won't be doing those now. Maybe the Ford tune, but only if there is no change to current powertrain warranty.
Other mods (suspension, armor) can be moved over. Or maybe I'd want to try different brands.

Thankfully Badlands Sasquatch is super capable trail rig, so I expect mods won't be needed for the trails I want to run in the next few years.

Or, Coyote V8 swap, but that defeats the purpose of me getting a new vehicle this time. Mods increase maintenance cost and downtime.

Wish there was more choice than Bronco and Wrangler for a new 4x4 that can easily run 35" tires. Wouldn't mind a Ford Everest Raptor Sasquatch 35 Package, but I doubt they'll make it or even offer the Everest in the USA.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Add me to the list.
2021 2DR OBX 2.7 auto with 3,818 miles.

Catastrophic engine failure . . valve came loose . . crushed by the pistons . . Replacement motor on order . .

Update:
- engine build-date was May 11 - Julian 21131

looks like these two mid-May blown engines won't be written-off so easily - ( 21131 & 21133 )

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] hist - Blown 2.7L Stats - 2022.Mar.15

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs