First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yup. Had 0 issues. The sand was very hard packed. Might as well have been driving on concrete :ROFLMAO:. Drove on, took pics near the water then peaced out. Not all sandy beaches are the same.
Hell, they used to race motorcycles on Daytona Beach when motorcycle tires were 3” wide…

Ford Bronco Driving in sand? (I’m dumb) 88C21E08-330A-40C0-B3A3-007B0F928B2C
Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

we used to drive various cars of all types on the beach in Daytona and never aired down once. It shouldn't be a big problem to be honest, just go slow and stay on the path. If everyone else makes it, you will too. Shouldn't even really need SAND mode, just leave it in 2H if this is a normal thing that lots of others do. You'll probably see an Outback, or an old 4 door sedan doing it. /shrug

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

There are a lot of smaller “beaches” that have little drive able paths where you can park on sand and walk a few feet to the water. Really nothing intense at all, you just have to know which ones are really rutted out and need a truck to access. I lived there for a year and drove a bone stock FJ cruiser down there. A lot of buddies with less capable cars were able to drive to the beaches with no problem.
Yea there are quite a few of those in Galveston that get so much car traffic for that very purpose

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The correct answer is that it depends on the condition of the sand. That is what you need to learn how to determine. That is what will keep you out of trouble.

Soft dry sand? Avoid if you can or if you do want to try it out make sure you have a plan on how to get out of it.

Harder sand? Not a problem.

How do you tell the difference? Get out and walk it. If it's difficult to walk on (soft and dry) then it will be difficult to drive on.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I say drive until you get stuck. Sand is hard to predict. If you get stuck air down 5-10 ilbs and dig out if it’s that bad. I don’t know that beach.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pismo dunes are pretty soft sand with lots of ruts/dips things to make you slow down.

If you want to go more than 200ft from the beach you need to air down. If your not aired down and get stuck no one will help you. Grew up riding quads there, I quit going after my tent got ran over a second time.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
some traction boards might be a good idea too depending on the sand

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pismo dunes are pretty soft sand with lots of ruts/dips things to make you slow down.

If you want to go more than 200ft from the beach you need to air down. If your not aired down and get stuck no one will help you. Grew up riding quads there, I quit going after my tent got ran over a second time.

This. If you are camping there, you will be in the soft sand (unless you want your Bronco drowned by high tide). Air down to 18-20. Bring a shovel and recovery rope/strap/shackles. If you can't get a compressor, you can still safely drive at that PSI to the nearest gas station.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

just go be safe enjoy ur bronco

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Air down, have a shovel, jack, tow strap and a 12 X 12 or so thick board. I used to ride the dunes at Cap Cod in Massachusetts when it was allowed in the late 70's and early 80's. It was a requirement to have that equipment. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences in my lifetime. I just aired down to about 12 PSI. Never got stuck once or had any issues. After riding the dunes I would find the closest gas station with an air compressor- at the portable air compressors were not readily available LOL.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Used to drive my '97 F150 on the beach all the time and never aired down. Open diffs front and rear. Just an ol truck. Broncos been on the beach a couple times too at 38 psi. Keep your momentum, don't stop in the soft spots and park downhill if you can.

Sure there's lots of things you can do to be more prepared but the single most important thing for driving in sand is a good driver mod.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to take my skinny- tired bronco II to NJ island beach. That is deep, sticky sand. Aired down to 18 and always powered through NP

balynn1971

Badlands
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pressure gauge on dash is reasonably accurate. I'm usually down to 15-18 on most terrain. I'm a newbie and that was info I was told. Not difficult at all. Deflators are handy but plenty of other ways to get air out (honestly I turn the valve stem cap upside down and press on stem pin....does the job just fine). Look at it this way, you can not do it and get stuck or do it and have a lot more fun.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.
If you're staying in the beach front you will be fine, you won't need to air down and you will probably be able to leave it in 2 wheel drive if you want.
Sponsored