Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Given that I have both (a F-150 3.5 Ecoboost and a 5.0 V8) the Ecoboost is the stronger stock motor, but the V8 gets the nod on the sound and the fuel economy. However, adding a supercharger to the 5.0 can instantly change the equation.

Stock, I actually love the V8 when I am not towing in my F-150 and it's no slouch even when towing. It's just second best compared to the 3.5 Ecoboost.

In the Bronco, the 5.0 would be a hoot. It would be better in some regards and not so much in other regards. I would be equally enthusiastic to see either a 3.5 Ecoboost or the 5.0 V8 in the Bronco, but the next engine really should be a 2.7 Powerboost.
Oh yeah the 5.0 makes some beautiful noises haha.
Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh yeah the 5.0 makes some beautiful noises haha.
Exactly! 😂
I would definitely prefer the Godzilla as far as modern Ford engines go.

I'm actually pretty shocked I haven't seen a resto-mod with an EB body on a 6G chassis. Not saying it would be the greatest thing ever, but I've seen worse builds.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Bronco is not a race car. A SC 5.0 in a Bronco would be good at one thing. running in the desert. A DR. Oh wait? There is a 5.0 in the Ford DR. Yes, nothing replaces the V8 sound for sure, but as I tell others when I come out in my Gt500 or my 68 GTA, "loud does not equate to fast"
Well, bringing up the DR is mostly moot because they screwed the pooch so bad with that thing. They had the chance to do so much more in virtually every aspect but they didn't. Only reason why they went with the 5.0 is because it's easier to maintain in a race setting, not because it provides any kind of performance advantage. Nobody has really been able to make turbos work well in Baja.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why? The 2.7 makes more torque and at a much lower RPM. Have you driven a 5.0 in the new F150. It’s all top end power and not much down low. The 2.7’s biggest issue is its lazy tune from the factory. Once that’s addressed it turns into a beast.
I can't help loving the V8 sound! Raised driving many F150s with 302s and 351s. I traded my v8 2014 F150 in for a Raptor F150 and although the Raptor was a much better truck with a lot more power, I missed the sound of the 5.0l. The 2.7 makes good power and I have nothing to complain about except the sound. Other than that, I love my Bronco!

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am pretty sure they bailed on this swap. They haven't updated anything on any of their pages since December of 2022
Yeah it’s kinda weird. It’s like they completely disappeared off the earth. Hasn’t even been anything from them about anything else either. They just vanished. I was so enjoying the details and vids of the swap.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Until you get on the trails and realize you need that low-end torq. CONTROLLABLE low-end tq. I have been on the trails with a 5.0 and a 2.7, and the 2.7 has way more control down low.

The Bronco is not a race car. A SC 5.0 in a Bronco would be good at one thing. running in the desert. A DR. Oh wait? There is a 5.0 in the Ford DR. Yes, nothing replaces the V8 sound for sure, but as I tell others when I come out in my Gt500 or my 68 GTA, "loud does not equate to fast"
Not sure what's so "controllable" about getting 3 seconds of non-linear torque increase (boost). In my wheeling world, I wanted that power 3 seconds ago, and now that I don't want it anymore (since it didn't arrive in time), it's coming on really strong (and again, anything but linear).

I do agree that coyote is somewhat weak on the low end. But you can put it near it's torque peak (RPM), and feather throttle to a very linear and almost instantaneous, act and react. Turbo's, not so much (when you are on/off the throttle).

boost-8-10-2018-jpg.jpg

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure what's so "controllable" about getting 3 seconds of non-linear torque increase (boost). In my wheeling world, I wanted that power 3 seconds ago, and now that I don't want it anymore (since it didn't arrive in time), it's coming on really strong (and again, anything but linear).

I do agree that coyote is somewhat weak on the low end. But you can put it near it's torque peak (RPM), and feather throttle to a very linear and almost instantaneous, act and react. Turbo's, not so much (when you are on/off the throttle).

Ford Bronco Update: Supercharged V8 5.0 Coyote Engine Swap into Ford Bronco by No Traction Faction boost-8-10-2018-
How about we just slap on a big ass supercharger and trash the turbos, we can use the intercooler and whatnot that's already there. Linear, controllable power on an engine already designed to handle a lot of boost...someone get on this lol

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How about we just slap on a big ass supercharger and trash the turbos, we can use the intercooler and whatnot that's already there. Linear, controllable power on an engine already designed to handle a lot of boost...someone get on this lol
Could work well, with a TVS next to the 4 banger. Fiero's for the win.......... :)

ecotec20_sc2.jpg

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Soooo.....no update?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Could work well, with a TVS next to the 4 banger. Fiero's for the win.......... :)

Ford Bronco Update: Supercharged V8 5.0 Coyote Engine Swap into Ford Bronco by No Traction Faction ecotec20_sc2
I mean, if we're going down that road, it needs a sweet supercharger whine while it's aggressively camming out at idle, I think that would be enough to rectify the V6 exhaust sounds. The little hairdryer noises coming from these tiny turbos just aren't doing it for me.

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No one else is also working on a Coyote or 3V Swap? No Shelby 5.4 swaps?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No one else is also working on a Coyote or 3V Swap? No Shelby 5.4 swaps?
I think part of the problem is that people are attempting to maintain some semblance of digital functionality with these swaps and it's essentially impossible unless you're a lead engineer at Ford. The other part is that you can't just drop a standalone crate engine into a Bronco and expect anything to work really, all the different modules are interconnected so you'd basically have to nuke it back to the stone age and aftermarket everything back. You can't even make the windows roll down or lights turn on without a module helping because the switches aren't analog anymore. The physical swap and getting clearance/angles right isn't really all that difficult, it's retaining any semblance of functionality with the rest of the vehicle after you do the swap.

Our best bet for a realistic swap is if someone figured out how to either trick the electronics into thinking that a 3.0L is a 2.7L or that it's supposed to have a 3.0L via Forscan/FDRS and a raptor VIN, similar to how people are doing 3.0 steering rack conversions. I don't think that would be feasible with a completely different engine like a Coyote. Would love to see it happen with a 3.5L, but I think that would fall into the same category as the Coyote.

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This Australian company installs the Coyote V8 in the Ford Ranger with full electronics integration.
https://www.killaconversions.com.au/raptr8

I believe that if Ford brought the Bronco to Australia, these guys would be able to figure out how to marry up the Coyote with the Bronco modules because these trucks share many components.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This Australian company installs the Coyote V8 in the Ford Ranger with full electronics integration.
https://www.killaconversions.com.au/raptr8

I believe that if Ford brought the Bronco to Australia, these guys would be able to figure out how to marry up the Coyote with the Bronco modules because these trucks share many components.

It took them 18 months to program. 😁
Sponsored