First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think part of the problem is that people are attempting to maintain some semblance of digital functionality with these swaps and it's essentially impossible unless you're a lead engineer at Ford. The other part is that you can't just drop a standalone crate engine into a Bronco and expect anything to work really, all the different modules are interconnected so you'd basically have to nuke it back to the stone age and aftermarket everything back. You can't even make the windows roll down or lights turn on without a module helping because the switches aren't analog anymore. The physical swap and getting clearance/angles right isn't really all that difficult, it's retaining any semblance of functionality with the rest of the vehicle after you do the swap.

Our best bet for a realistic swap is if someone figured out how to either trick the electronics into thinking that a 3.0L is a 2.7L or that it's supposed to have a 3.0L via Forscan/FDRS and a raptor VIN, similar to how people are doing 3.0 steering rack conversions. I don't think that would be feasible with a completely different engine like a Coyote. Would love to see it happen with a 3.5L, but I think that would fall into the same category as the Coyote.
So whats needed for a 2.7 swap in my 2.3 and tricking it to work with my stick?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It took them 18 months to program. 😁
Not bad with no Ford direct support (assuming). Imagine if Ford sponsored someone like Roush to do the swap. Hard to believe there would be no buyers. And once done by Roush, others could follow fairly easily, me thinks.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not bad with no Ford direct support (assuming). Imagine if Ford sponsored someone like Roush to do the swap. Hard to believe there would be no buyers. And once done by Roush, others could follow fairly easily, me thinks.
You gotta figure there are people Hemi/LS/LT swapping their wranglers and gladiators as we speak, why wouldn't we have similar here?

Fords really dropping the ball

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It took them 18 months to program. 😁
I know that cracking the factory code is not an easy task, but now these guys can simply copy and paste the modified code every time they do an engine swap. They don't have to spend 18 months on each truck.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know that cracking the factory code is not an easy task, but now these guys can simply copy and paste the modified code every time they do an engine swap. They don't have to spend 18 months on each truck.

Agree, not every truck, but the first one will take some time. The Ranger might even share some of the same programming as the Bronc, that would speed things up a bit as well.

On a side note I just watched a video on the Godzilla and FP has a controls pack for a manual transmission. You cannot get a 7.3 with an MT. So the guy went on to say about the challenges trying to program the ECM for a MT 7.3. It was not easy, and took them awhile, but they did do it.

Last edited:

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know why Ford is not willing to assist car tuning companies with such modifications. IMO that would be a win-win collaboration. FoMoCo would continue to make the Bronco with the EcoBoost engines, their CAFE rating would not be affected, but at the same time they would make some money on selling the Coyote swap tune and crate engines, and people like me would get the opportunity to install a V8 and have one more reason to love the Bronco and Ford in general.

Last edited:

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You gotta figure there are people Hemi/LS/LT swapping their wranglers and gladiators as we speak, why wouldn't we have similar here?

Fords really dropping the ball
White Rock Dodge does in house Hemi swaps on Wranglers/Gladiators and incorporates the swap into the financing and covers it under warranty.

Edit (for more info):
https://wrdperformance.com/wrangler-gladiator-v8-swaps
"All conversion packages sold through White Rock Dodge include professional installation at epic adventure outfitters. The technicians at Epic Adventure Outfitters have flown down to the AMW4x4 facility in Michigan to become certified in installation. These packages are completely turn key and carry a warranty."

*So, yeah, Ford is way behind. Both in helping the enthusiast community and working with the Ford aftermarket industry.*

Last edited:

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't know why Ford is not willing to assist car tuning companies with such modifications. IMO that would be a win-win collaboration. FoMoCo would continue to make the Bronco with the EcoBoost engines, their CAFE rating would not be affected, but at the same time they would make some money on selling the Coyote swap tune and crate engines, and people like me would get an opportunity to install a V8 and have one more reason to love the Bronco and Ford in general.

Don't know if it is still a "thing" but I remember years ago Ford did what they called a "technology transfer program". That was a program you could sign up for to do just what you are describing. You could have Ford "help" you through programming "issues" that would come up when custom tuning.

Here is a little morsel I found on the net about how teams used it to win LeMans back in 2016.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...nce-technology-transfer-from-track-to-street/

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don’t think we aren’t working on it. Unlike others that have tried installing the drivetrain and then making it work, we’ve been carefully looking at the electronic side. Maybe it’ll happen, maybe it won’t. The thing I’m worried about the most is that there isn’t actually a market for it. It’s one thing to say you want it, but it’s another thing to drop $38k on a turnkey conversion. We do have a pretty solid plan on making it happens though, and it could be before the end of the year. Maybe…

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I did a coyote swap (car) version 10 years ago. If I did a bronco, you could use the existing control packs for the ecm and trans. The harder part is you would have to change out to manual locking hubs and different lockers. The Tcase is on an electrical solenoid, thats not hard to figure out. What you lose is goat modes. Just run it as a single engine program and have H/L, but if you run a tuner program, you could have a couple different switchable tunes.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don’t think we aren’t working on it. Unlike others that have tried installing the drivetrain and then making it work, we’ve been carefully looking at the electronic side. Maybe it’ll happen, maybe it won’t. The thing I’m worried about the most is that there isn’t actually a market for it. It’s one thing to say you want it, but it’s another thing to drop $38k on a turnkey conversion. We do have a pretty solid plan on making it happens though, and it could be before the end of the year. Maybe…
The other posters were talking about the Jeep conversions and I knew you did them from watching your YT. But still......

NICE!!! Not saying I'm ready for it for my Bronc but still cool anyway. I just acquired a Godzilla to maybe stuff in my Fox body. :unsure:
Sponsored