First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The max curb weight for a 4 door Bronco is 5320. If they cap the GVWR at 6000, then that leaves 680lbs for payload. Gas is about 6.3lbs per gallon so with a full tank of gas (20.8 gallons = 131lbs) the payload is now 549lbs. I weigh about 210lbs so if the GVWR is capped at 6000, then I can only add 339lbs. A 3500lb trailer would be about 420lbs of tongue weight so I couldn't even tow 3500lbs with just me and a full tank of gas. Maybe that's why you can't add the tow hitch to the First Edition (heaviest model)??? I'm really hoping the heavier Broncos have a 6000+ GVWR.
Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup, but the non-squatch Broncos weigh a lot less so it’s not as much of an issue.

I just think this whole thing is so absurdly blown out of preparation though.... it’s honestly one of the easiest to install roof racks I’ve ever seen.
Right, but you cannot order it with the car (Confirmed with the dealer on this) and the likelyhood of roof racks being in stock when the Broncos are delivered is slim to none. Parts will be in short supply until the reservation deliveries are complete.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The max curb weight for a 4 door Bronco is 5320. If they cap the GVWR at 6000, then that leaves 680lbs for payload. Gas is about 6.3lbs per gallon so with a full tank of gas (20.8 gallons = 131lbs) the payload is now 549lbs. I weigh about 210lbs so if the GVWR is capped at 6000, then I can only add 339lbs. A 3500lb trailer would be about 420lbs of tongue weight so I couldn't even tow 3500lbs with just me and a full tank of gas. Maybe that's why you can't add the tow hitch to the First Edition (heaviest model)??? I'm really hoping the heavier Broncos have a 6000+ GVWR.
I think they count a full tank of gas now. But I don’t think they count the spare or rear bumper, I don’t know for sure and I think it varies from model to model and make to make. Some examples I can give are my daughters focus is like 500lbs and has 5 seats. Wife’s explorer is like 1200 something and has 7 seats but tows 5k. My F150 is like 1700 seats 5 but can tow 9k. I know they aren’t Broncos but seems pretty standard that you can take all the people no stuff, some people and some stuff or tow something and take a person or some stuff. FWIW my Jeep was pretty much at GVWR with just me when I got done adding stuff to it.

Last edited:

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not too sure why there is a liability concern. I have handled plenty of accidents and the vehicle being overloaded has not come into play unless it is a fatal. Even then it almost always involves commercial vehicles. If you overload and can't get stopped in time then it basically is an ACDA. Drive through a curve and off the road then failure to control. Rollover with injuries? Still failure to control unless Ford wants to protect their image. Maybe an insurance issue? Won't cover you? Every report I have done hasn't included "They had a ton of crap piled on their roof rack".

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right, but you cannot order it with the car (Confirmed with the dealer on this) and the likelyhood of roof racks being in stock when the Broncos are delivered is slim to none. Parts will be in short supply until the reservation deliveries are complete.
That’s the biggest issue I see. You ain’t getting the Ford roof rack for at least 6 months after production if you have to order them separately

Sponsored

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think they count a full tank of gas now. But I don’t think they count the spare or rear bumper, I don’t know for sure and I think it varies from model to model and make to make. Some examples I can give are my daughters focus is like 500lbs and has 5 seats. Wife’s explorer is like 1200 something and has 7 seats but tows 5k. My F150 is like 1700 seats 5 but can tow 9k. I know they aren’t Broncos but seems pretty standard that you can take all the people no stuff, some people and some stuff or tow something and take a person or some stuff. FWIW my Jeep was pretty much at GVWR with just when I got done adding stuff to it.
You're right....I just looked it up and curb weight does include a full tank of gas and all fluids to keep it running. I have no idea why they wouldn't count the rear bumper or spare tire. I'm almost positive they will give a higher GVWR to the heavier Broncos.....just like Jeep does with the Gladiator Rubicon etc.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Posted this over in the towing thread but thought it might fit here for those interested door sticker says 816 for payload.
From the car seat thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/child-seat-installed-in-a-2021-bronco-2-door-photos.8967/
It’s a 2 door badlands looks Sasquatch payload 816. I know it’s not the exact configuration but if GVWR is in fact maxed out at 6k to stay in class it looks like 5300 curb for a 4 door is a pretty safe bet. Just wish I could read the other sticker.
1605650769138.jpeg

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Posted this over in the towing thread but thought it might fit here for those interested door sticker says 816 for payload.

Wow, That's pathetically low. Good catch. So 4 door with the same suspension would be similar or less correct? That really could be the reason the roof rack isn't offered.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, That's pathetically low. Good catch. So 4 door with the same suspension would be similar or less correct? That really could be the reason the roof rack isn't offered.
Honestly I have no idea. I personally think that it will be a little less as I think the GVWR is artificially capped at 6K by Ford to keep it in the same class as a Wrangler and not a representation of its true capabilities. I really wish I could read the white sticker or I could find a 4 door one. Maybe someone with some skills can enhance the white one?

OP
OP
jedirulez

jedirulez

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that is underwhelming - hoping something changes by the time we can order, but not looking good.

Sponsored

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly I have no idea. I personally think that it will be a little less as I think the GVWR is artificially capped at 6K by Ford to keep it in the same class as a Wrangler and not a representation of its true capabilities. I really wish I could read the white sticker or I could find a 4 door one. Maybe someone with some skills can enhance the white one?
Someone posted a spec sheet in another thread that listed the payload for the 4dr at about 200lbs more than the 2 dr.

If the payload for the 4 dr 2.7 BL, that would decent. The payload sticker on my Edge says 950, and I've never experienced a catastrophic failure with it. Yet.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So how would a 4 door have more payload with the same suspension and as a heavier vehicle and still stay under 6,000 pounds GVWR? I assume it would have to have a higher GVWR.

I also am not buying that the payload is artificially low. Your payload is what the vehicle says. Every vehicle can probably exceed payload by a bit, but it's the potential issues that can occur when you do. That may be insurance, warranty, liability, parts breaking etc. It's simply not a good idea to run a vehicle above listed payload and towing specs.

Also, it sounds like a roof top tent/roof rack is going to cause some major stability issues if the suspension is already so soft that its payload is under 1000 pounds. Probably another reason the rack is not offered on sasquatch and has such a low weight rating.

This is frustrating, as I do a lot of backcountry camping with quite a bit of gear/weight. Payload and towing are my two biggest concerns on this thing. Sucks, because it has so much potential. Ford, just build a full size bronco already!

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford, just build a full size bronco already!
I just want Ford to come out with more direct specs for the GVWR and payload. I, like most probably are, am anxiously waiting to see if they’ll need to jump down from a BL 4dr to a 2dr, 2.7 to a 2.3, or a BL to a BD.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Artificially low payload is found on de-rated 3/4 ton trucks. GVWR is like 10300-11300 lbs on 3/4 ton, but beacuse of DOT restrictions and licensing in some states you can order a 9900 or 10000 GVWR from factory. Same everything, just the sticker.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not too sure why there is a liability concern. I have handled plenty of accidents and the vehicle being overloaded has not come into play unless it is a fatal. Even then it almost always involves commercial vehicles. If you overload and can't get stopped in time then it basically is an ACDA. Drive through a curve and off the road then failure to control. Rollover with injuries? Still failure to control unless Ford wants to protect their image. Maybe an insurance issue? Won't cover you? Every report I have done hasn't included "They had a ton of crap piled on their roof rack".
Yeah, but some people are very, very risk averse. Count on it, someone is worrying about loading the roof rack, having a mishap, and getting denial of coverage ... because the insurance company assembles everything back on a scale and says it was 20lbs over GVWR, lol.
Sponsored