Sponsored

I’m not a Jeep Wrangler person. How will Bronco ride quality compare?

jp23rockstar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Buick Lucerne
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I test drove yesterday a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 100k miles, lifted slightly with off road tires. Tire pressure light came on once leaving the parking lo. To say it was jittery and all over the highway was an understatement. It was actually scary anyone would want to drive that. Will a Ford Bronco base model with street tires be any better in terms of ride quality on the road? Would it ride better? Fyi, I’m more of a sport sedan person, so this is a whole new world to me.
Sponsored

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I test drove yesterday a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 100k miles, lifted slightly with off road tires. Tire pressure light came on once leaving the parking lo. To say it was jittery and all over the highway was an understatement. It was actually scary anyone would want to drive that. Will a Ford Bronco base model with street tires be any better in terms of ride quality on the road? Would it ride better? Fyi, I’m more of a sport sedan person, so this is a whole new world to me.
I’m right there with you. My wife and I rented a base 2021 4-door Wrangler Unlimited recently mostly to get an idea of the overall size. It confirmed for us that we don’t need a 4-door Bronco.

I didn’t love the ride either. I’ve always been into the lightest possible weight and best possible handling for any vehicle I buy. But, I truly believe IFS will really help the Bronco bridge the gap between what we appreciate about sports / sporty cars and the truckishness of the Wrangler. It will never handle like a car but from what I’ve heard about the ride, both on and off road, I’m very optimistic.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove a brand new wrangler rubicon a couple weeks ago. I've had both SUVs, sports cars, luxury sedans, but never an off-road focused vehicle. I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I'll have no problem daily driving a sasquatch. Maybe the rig you drove wasn't well maintained? I would try driving a new one in lieu of a modified 7 year old version.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Go to the Jeep dealer and drive a new one, sounds like you drove one that had been rode hard and put away wet.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, it is a different world.

100k on a lifted jeep for a 4-by-newbie is a recipe for disappointment.

I highly expect that a Bronco would ride and handle many times better than that other ride.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Bronco should be better - especially a non-Squatch - but it’s going to be a different driving experience for you.

Recommendation though. Go drive one on a trail - not just a dirt road, a real trail - and then see how you feel about the Jeep.

FWIW 100k miles was when mine started wandering too much and I had to do ball joints and track bar bushings. The one you drove may be due.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m right there with you. My wife and I rented a base 2021 4-door Wrangler Unlimited recently mostly to get an idea of the overall size. It confirmed for us that we don’t need a 4-door Bronco.

I didn’t love the ride either. I’ve always been into the lightest possible weight and best possible handling for any vehicle I buy. But, I truly believe IFS will really help the Bronco bridge the gap between what we appreciate about sports / sporty cars and the truckishness of the Wrangler. It will never handle like a car but from what I’ve heard about the ride, both on and off road, I’m very optimistic.
Lightest weight and best handling. Please, just please, once you get your Bronco remember to slow down to speed limit on highway exit ramps. We do not need a repeat of the 80s and class action suits against the Jeeps for "being unsafe" by drivers that expect sorts car handling and low CoGs.

OP
OP

jp23rockstar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Buick Lucerne
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I drove a brand new wrangler rubicon a couple weeks ago. I've had both SUVs, sports cars, luxury sedans, but never an off-road focused vehicle. I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I'll have no problem daily driving a sasquatch. Maybe the rig you drove wasn't well maintained? I would try driving a new one in lieu of a modified 7 year old version.
The salesperson said this was one of best maintained Jeep’s at that mileage in my head I was skeptical and after the test drove certainly drove that home. It was certainly not maintained that well. I realize it had 100k mileage but I just wanted to see what the Jeep experience was about. This was a 2 door model so ride on highway would be worse than 4 door. Certainly driving a non modified with street tires would probably better. I’m thinking a Ford bronco with street tires and IFS will have a better ride.

Sponsored

TK-421

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Favorably.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The salesperson said this was one of best maintained Jeep’s at that mileage in my head I was skeptical and after the test drove certainly drove that home. It was certainly not maintained that well. I realize it had 100k mileage but I just wanted to see what the Jeep experience was about. This was a 2 door model so ride on highway would be worse than 4 door. Certainly driving a non modified with street tires would probably better. I’m thinking a Ford bronco with street tires and IFS will have a better ride.
Whatever car you looked at on the lot, he would have told you it was the best maintained. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't read any of the other replies. Well, yes. Generations of Jeep owners have dealt with all of the normal "Jeep issues" which present themselves on the road. Totally normal and you get used to it. It's even charming, after a fashion. Mostly.

I have an order in for a Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux. I expect the Bronco to be a bit more gentlemanly given its intended audience and application. Sure, it will be a pretty good wheeler and a very good daily driver which will easily handle anything you'd ever encounter on a paved or dirt road.

The reason the Jeep's manners aren't always so great on the road, particularly those Jeeps which have a lift and have a reasonable amount of mods, is that it's truly built for the off road enthusiast. Most, though not all, of the things you enjoy to make for a pleasant on-road experience do not facilitate hard-core off-road wheeling. That places the Bronco in somewhat of a compromise category which in my view is not a bad thing. It makes the Bronco GREAT for overlanding, good for daily driving, pretty good for rock crawling. What you experienced is the downside of a vehicle built for being bashed against rocks. Some things have gotta give. The highway experience is one of those things.

A new, stock Jeep is pretty good on the road. Handles pretty well, not a lot of bad manners, maybe not the most pleasant experience compared to the sedan. (For what it's worth, my other vehicle is a Jaguar F-Type, so I like extreme vehicles and I also like luxury. I do not begrudge your issues with the Jeep.)

Just remember, if you want a hardcore, badass, off-road vehicle, and you're willing to put the mods in to make it such, do not expect a big plus in the creature comforts category.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You get used to the sketchy-ness of it all. Ever driven a Jeep with a front track bar so worn out that the body shifted over an inch before the wheels turned when steering?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Significantly.
Sponsored