First Name
Mr. Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Just got to thinking, why doesn't FORD have some kind of "skid plate" to cover up the easy accessibility to the catalytic converter. In fact, where is / what is the best catalytic converter protection available (other than location, location, location). Seems to me there are way too many catalytic converter thefts and really, not a real good way to prevent a "SAWZALL/GRINDER cutting wheel " from getting through such things as Stainless Steel Wire Rope - just cut off the bracket/lock. I'm thinking a "skid plate" covering the catalytic converter, attached to the FRAME may be the best route to go. In fact, I also have a FORD F550 - V10 and would love to know what's the best protection for that catalytic convertor as well. All thoughts, opinions, recommendations very much appreciated. Cheers,
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm wondering if the skid plates on the BL will cover it? It's a big problem in my area and I think all over the US, they cut them out and ship them overseas in containers. Prius is the main target, but with the bronco so high up, even easier to get to. Sucks to deal with but happens every night here. If the skid plates don't cover it I'll have something installed, yes, insurance pays, but I have better things to do than deal with that. Make it less attractive and they move on to the next one.

Good question.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My aftermarket jeep skid plates cover it up. I would bet on aftermarket being the better chance/solution.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
best protection is a garage. the most vulnerable place is where it will be idle and isolated, parked in the street overnight.

alternative, an alarm and a keen ear.

but they dont really care how tall the car is, they know how to jack up a car in a hurry to get to the cat. better to pick cars with some privacy than with easy access.
You aren't necessarily wrong because secure overnight parking does reduce risk but advice like this isn't helpful because you can't leave it in the garage 100% of the time. Well you could, but then why own it.

A coworker of mine had his stolen off his Silverado from the office parking lot in broad daylight during the business day.

And as far as why they are stolen: they contain platinum.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an old co-worker whose daughter got the cats taken off her car in broad daylight at a shopping center. Cordless tools make it really quick. I've seen the cable set up. I've also seen people weld rebar along the exhaust pipe to make it take longer to cut through.
Really, that's all you can do is slow them down. Make it harder to cut them off. If the thief wants it bad enough, they'll find a way.
It's pretty shitty as the scrap value is like $100-150. To install a new one is north of $1000.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in the Metro Detroit area and I never hear about it from friends or see it on the news. Don't think it is as big an issue as some people are making it out to be not in Detroit that is.

Sponsored

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It happens in rashes here in Minnesota too. They like to hit small car dealerships or repair shops where there are a bunch of cars, but likely sub-par security like video or lighting.

One local garage has offered free license plate number engraving onto your cat(s) as a way to try and catch the burglers. One problem is that even if LEO catches a suspect with a truckload of cats, they have no way to easily tie them back to a specific theft. There are too many "legit" reasons for having a scrap truck full of them.... I guess.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention 20210422_164254
Not sure if that is a cat or just a resonator but it sure screams steal me.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rampant around here. Mostly vans and trucks due to the ease of access. Don't hear about it much on cars since the cats are smaller and less valuable. We had two new chassis cabs with the cats cut 2 years ago, my cost to fix was $5,800 each. Depending on where these dirt bags are selling them, they can get $200-$600 for a set of diesel converters and DPF. They hardly ever get caught and can have them off and gone in just a few minutes. Had it happen, under a light on camera and never saw the guy(s). Told cops if I get a camera alert I'll give them a 2 minute warning to get there before I do. Yea, these people are scum and I HATE thieves.

BL2.7SAS4DR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a big problem for employees that work at Portland International Airport. They watch us leave our cars in uniform and know that we'll be gone for periods of time. It has me nervous about parking the Bronco there. I've also had my gas siphoned and wish we could lock the gas cap.
Sponsored