Sponsored

How vulnerable is Bronco's catalytic converter to theft ?

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sure everyone knows about the rise in catalytic converter theft nationwide. Portland has been one of the places where theft has been rampant.

Since I don't think like a thief and don't know quite how they are able to carve out a cat in 30 seconds (according to police), is the Bronco vulnerable?

Looking under my BL, I can see it and it seems pretty accessible. Makes me wonder if this is worth taking the time to do, since it is a free service.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...emic/283-7601f9c2-6adb-4f9e-a75c-9273667253b5
Sponsored

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Might deter a thief as stops/eliminates its market valueā€¦..

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't hurt, but I don't see how it diminishes a cat's value, since the people buying the cat's, and then exporting them overseas for extraction of the precious metals are not concerned about laws in the first place. It's not like honest people are stealing them.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If someone wants it bad enough they will get it regardless of what you do. Spray painting it with your vin will do little to nothing. The people taking 10-15 cats to the scrap yard at a time arenā€™t going to places where they care how they got them or what color they are. Also the over seas market doesnā€™t care either

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
They'll just sand the paint off

Sponsored

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are cages and other add ons to make it harder to cut out. Iā€™ve not seen one for the Bronco, but Iā€™d be interested in something like that.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

JCR makes one for the Sport. I can imagine one is on the way for the full size. This will be far better than paint and a vin inscription.

Ford Bronco How vulnerable is Bronco's catalytic converter to theft ? 1670351329461

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was going to engrave and paint my catalytic converter - even bought the high temperature paint for it. Then I crawled under it to have a closer look and there is a heat shield covering nearly the whole thing. The only way to engrave and paint it would be to remove the heat shield, which I'm guessing is actually needed. I didn't see an easy way to re-install the shield.

On the 2.3 4-cylinder, most of the cat is way up next to the engine with the top half being rather difficult to get to. If you wanted the whole thing, you would likely have to unbolt the top part and cut the bottom.

In any case, I'm no longer planning to do anything special to prevent theft other than living in a neighborhood where theft is unlikely, and where it would be easier to steal them from all of the big trucks that my neighbors drive. ;)

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I took my 2.7 to a muffler shop that does tons of custom work, including theft prevention, and they thought a thief wouldnā€™t bother with it given there appears to be little to no way to get a saw blade up to cut the front end off.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait! Wait! This is perfect. My excuse to my wife on why I need spend even more money on our bronco. Catalytic converter theft prevention... in the form of a full set of skid plates. Boom!
I'm telling my wife that's why we need the Icon Stage 8 suspension. šŸ¤” Maybe even Whipple tune...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs