Sponsored

How vulnerable is Bronco's catalytic converter to theft ?

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No, some people think twice when they know the owner is armed.
they dont care. They are armed too. They have a look out that you dont see armed watching. Totally not worth doing anything about. You will end up in jail,not them.

JackTripper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enough
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

they dont care. They are armed too. They have a look out that you dont see armed watching. Totally not worth doing anything about. You will end up in jail,not them.
Let’s agree to disagree. Thank you for your feedback.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the cats are right after the turbos on the V6 so they would be difficult to cut out, however tweakers sometimes cut out resonators thinking they are cats. I think a good set of skids will make them target someone else.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was going to engrave and paint my catalytic converter - even bought the high temperature paint for it. Then I crawled under it to have a closer look and there is a heat shield covering nearly the whole thing. The only way to engrave and paint it would be to remove the heat shield, which I'm guessing is actually needed. I didn't see an easy way to re-install the shield.

On the 2.3 4-cylinder, most of the cat is way up next to the engine with the top half being rather difficult to get to. If you wanted the whole thing, you would likely have to unbolt the top part and cut the bottom.

In any case, I'm no longer planning to do anything special to prevent theft other than living in a neighborhood where theft is unlikely, and where it would be easier to steal them from all of the big trucks that my neighbors drive. ;)
Literally starting our home search in Meridian today . . .

Wife and I went out last weekend and drove all over the valley. Saw about 30 Broncos and 5 Teslas.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Put a Glock sticker on the back of your window.
Advertise that you may have a firearm to steal inside the vacant car which is way more valuable than a cat. Smart! (for the theif)

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Kind of doubt that if they're on my property. I also doubt most are armed.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kind of doubt that if they're on my property. I also doubt most are armed.
Anecdotally I've heard of teams, one guy under the car and and armed overwatch.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anecdotally I've heard of teams, one guy under the car and and armed overwatch.
Oh I agree that happens. I just think most of them are not going to risk having a firearm charged added to theft.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh I agree that happens. I just think most of them are not going to risk having a firearm charged added to theft.
Yea, petty theft or larceny becomes armed robbery or attempted murder real fast.

Basically takes you from a 1-2 year sentence; maybe just probation to 8-12 years in state max security. Criminals aren’t as dumb as the media likes to make you think they are.

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait! Wait! This is perfect. My excuse to my wife on why I need spend even more money on our bronco. Catalytic converter theft prevention... in the form of a full set of skid plates. Boom!
Mealcloak full belly protection. They use allen head screws vs bolts so unless the theif has the right tools, not getting it off.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mealcloak full belly protection. They use allen head screws vs bolts so unless the theif has the right tools, not getting it off.
Cat thefts are generally quick and quiet, so maybe 2-4 mins on the high end. Anything longer than that runs a ton of risk for them, plus, they'd be in a compromising position under your vehicle at like 2-5am.

Anything, and I mean anything that can slow them down or expose them; including flood lights, will make all but the most determined pros move on to something else that's easy.

None of these idiots are taking the time to remove a skid plate unless your ride is someplace very secluded and they can work without interruption.

When you show you're aware, most don't even try you. Cameras do not count, because by the time you see the footage, they're long gone. but an alarm going off, lights, skids, or all of these will protect your ride. Now, if you park in decks overnight, all bets are off, but your driveway, sure.
Sponsored