TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is in my written review but I’ll preview it here, without sport mode on Bronco is pretty slow right off the line, however it picks up once you’re going. Just from 0-5 MPH when you punch it, it totally pulls timing. Talking with some journalists at dinner they said sport mode makes a pretty big difference off the line. It’s still a powerful engine, and once you’re outside 5 MPH it really picks up the pace, but in normal mode I think I was about 6.5-7 second 0-60 and I would bet sport mode will knock that down another .5-1 second or so. One of my biggest negatives that Badlands/1st edition doesn’t come with sport mode, pretty annoying tbh.
Seems like the biggest gripe, and from observing the couple of "tests" on video, is that it's just a bit slow getting started from zero. Combo of heavy machine and turbo lag will do that. But, gunning it from a dead stop is not a common real-world driving issue, and everyone talking about "freeway speed" issues should take this with a grain of salt until some more real-world driving tests are done.

I almost never enter a freeway on-ramp from a dead stop. If I'm rolling in a Bronco, with some accelerator coming out of the corner onto the ramp, I'm going to have the turbos 'ready' and be able to goose it if necessary.

I'm most interested in the 65-85 type times that I use on the two lane roads around here when I need to pass, and the ability to accelerate from a slower freeway lane into a faster lane when necessary.

Everyone's needs will vary, but this isn't a vehicle with which I'll be racing people off the red light very often.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
8 seconds for a manual seems realistic since he shifted twice. I find it hard to believe a 2.7 auto can't make that run in <6.5 seconds. That is, unless Ford is limiting torque to protect the 10R60 ;):oops:
That is a distinct possibility...I would think the 2.7 auto should be at least under 7 seconds.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Launching it at about 2500-3000 RPM instead of punching it from a standstill should knock off half- to a full second off the 0-60 time too; the turbo(s) need to be spooled up.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is dam close to the 2.7 auto 0-60...much potential
I was dead set on the 2.7 until the recent test drive videos. It's definitely quicker but I don't think by much especially in real world driving. As much as I like the sasquatch look, I think in real world driving the 2.3 and stock wheels/tires will work best for highway/city commuting.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems like the biggest gripe, and from observing the couple of "tests" on video, is that it's just a bit slow getting started from zero. Combo of heavy machine and turbo lag will do that. But, gunning it from a dead stop is not a common real-world driving issue, and everyone talking about "freeway speed" issues should take this with a grain of salt until some more real-world driving tests are done.

I almost never enter a freeway on-ramp from a dead stop. If I'm rolling in a Bronco, with some accelerator coming out of the corner onto the ramp, I'm going to have the turbos 'ready' and be able to goose it if necessary.

I'm most interested in the 65-85 type times that I use on the two lane roads around here when I need to pass, and the ability to accelerate from a slower freeway lane into a faster lane when necessary.

Everyone's needs will vary, but this isn't a vehicle with which I'll be racing people off the red light very often.
Exactly. And apparently sport mode lets you get wheel spin from a stop so it should be quite a bit better.

As far as “usable speed” the 2.7 is awesome. You’ll have zero issues passing and getting on the highway.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That is, unless Ford is limiting torque to protect the 10R60 ;):oops:
There is absolutely torque truncation and torque reduction going on. My father's F-350 has an insane amount of it in the lower gears. You can unlock several hundred ft-lbs of torque with TCM tuning alone. We won't know how much the 10r60 is holding engine power back until we can get into the ECU

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. And apparently sport mode lets you get wheel spin from a stop so it should be quite a bit better.

As far as “usable speed” the 2.7 is awesome. You’ll have zero issues passing and getting on the highway.
The lack of sport mode is annoying. I’m hoping that Baja mode and switch to 2 wheel is the fix.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've seen this repeated on this forum several times. This is not a thing. The Bronco isn't some exotic with a hand built, high strung, exotic engine.

The thought that the Bronco somehow has power limiting software for the first xxxx miles is ridiculous.
Relax there fella, I’m just trying to wrap my head around how with a 2.7 L TwinTurbo V6 4.7 gears and 400 ftlbs of tq it’s slower than a naturally aspirated 3.6 wrangler.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

My street is off of a 55mph busy street with no light (Route 15)...it's brutal pulling out into traffic with my company car (GMC Terrain / 8.9 sec 0-60) as I have to sit forever, and the FJ was no fun either. That take-off is very usable in that scenario...something I would use every time I drive it for the most part. The lack of the Sport mode really sucks for that, but I'm stuck with either Sport mode or sway-bar disconnect. SBD I would use only occasionally....but it's almost a must have, I'm tired of manual disconnecting. Sport would be usable every day...I am still intersted to hear a review of the driving characteristics of the truck in Baja/2H on the street. Maybe that solves it to a degree.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Relax there fella, I’m just trying to wrap my head around how with a 2.7 L TwinTurbo V6 4.7 gears and 400 ftlbs of tq it’s slower than a naturally aspirated 3.6 wrangler.
You're taking the only instrumented 0-60 time for a 2.7 we've seen as gospel.

You relax.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was dead set on the 2.7 until the recent test drive videos. It's definitely quicker but I don't think by much especially in real world driving. As much as I like the sasquatch look, I think in real world driving the 2.3 and stock wheels/tires will work best for highway/city commuting.
My current wheeler ('89 LR Defender P/U) w/ 2.5 diesel turbo 5spd MT is maxed-out at 89hp and 130lbft or torque which accelerates 0-60 in roughly 30 seconds...I'm stoked about the 2.3, 7MT

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfectly fine to me. My last 4x4 was a V8 5spd that weighed about the same but had 100hp less and it was never inadequate.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My current wheeler ('89 LR Defender P/U) w/ 2.5 diesel turbo 5spd MT is maxed-out at 89hp and 130lbft or torque which accelerates 0-60 in roughly 30 seconds...I'm stoked about the 2.3, 7MT
You know, I remember riding in my Dads 5th gen bronco and also driving it and it never felt like it was low on power even though it made 213 whopping ponies... The MPG in the 2.3 will make me happier than the slight increase in power and torques.