Sponsored

Who has switched to Load E Tires (10ply)?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

P rated tires are garbage. Nothing like getting a flat because you drove over a stick or a cholla spine.
Cs generally aren’t tough enough.
Sidewall damage is defiantly a concern, but it is largely dependent on where you live and where you wheel. For me I want a 95% daily driver. Further, it is very subjective, are you coming from an F-250, you may not notice the ride of a D or E rated tire. Are you coming from an SUV, C may be the better compromise for a better ride.

I've seen members recommend a number of interesting tires, found more at www.tiresize.com, www.tirerack.com and discounttire.com One I've followed for a while is the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in size 285/70R17. It is very popular in the Taco community and even in the S/L rating there are reports the S/L sidewall has held up well, it is also available in C and E.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have E on my wrangler in 285/75r17…. But only because there weren’t any C (or even D) in that size.

If there were a C option in the size I want, I would switch in a heartbeat.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or, if the size you want only comes in E, get them, run the correct pressure, and be happy. Many of us run E rated tires with no problems or worries. Mine will get E rated tires at the dealer before I pick it up.

I wouldn’t run 20s with E tires, unless they were 37+.
hi
Load range c = no way only E load with correct pressure. We possess a second house in the forest and we have 100 miles of forest road to go there .i have try K02 LOAD C 2 years after and 20,000 kilometer the sidewall come to soft and easy to puncture on rock gravel road and loose air . i have learn now and only load range E for me and no problem just use chalk test for correct pressure air on it and i am safe

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hi
Load range c = no way only E load with correct pressure. We possess a second house in the forest and we have 100 miles of forest road to go there .i have try K02 LOAD C 2 years after and 20,000 kilometer the sidewall come to soft and easy to puncture on rock gravel road and loose air . i have learn now and only load range E for me and no problem just use chalk test for correct pressure air on it and i am safe
Yeah, I drive on a lot of things that tend to shred tires. For me, E rated is what I want. I find many people who complain about E rated tires have crap suspensions and over inflate their tires.
I’m glad we have plenty of choices. People that want soft tires can have soft tires. People that want tougher tires can have tougher tires. It’s all good.

Heck, people can even run 20s or bigger and have the worst ride of all if they want.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have E on my wrangler in 285/75r17…. But only because there weren’t any C (or even D) in that size.

If there were a C option in the size I want, I would switch in a heartbeat.
If all terrains work for you ... Toyo OC3 , LOAD C, 285/75-17

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you are 98% on road i would stay away from load E. Balance is what turned me off from those tires. I ran 37s on my old rig in my profile pic and i have had sets we had to put sand in the tire to balance them. The best luck i had was a nice set of toyos but the sacrifice made was definitely ride quality. Good luck.
Makes me wonder if glass beads are the secret cure to balancing seemingly untamable load E 295/70-17 Duratracs on my Jeep. I read sand or glass beads are a PITA though if you frequently air down? 🤷‍♂️

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

E load tires are overkill for the majority of Broncos and Bronco drivers.

Luckily Ford spec'd most trims with 17" rims opening up more options as opposed to 16".

If what you're looking for only comes in E I wouldn't hesitate too much to put them on as long as you know what you're getting into. Put them on the first day and you'll never know what it was like to drive your Bronco without them.

Don't go by the numbers on the tires or on the jamb for PSI. Do a chalk test if you change loads or size. E loads can handle a bit of under-inflation. Especially on a light (relative to most trucks that would use E loads) truck like the Bronco.

If you're not too picky, you can easily avoid E loads, though I do wish that there were more options for C and SL tires in larger diameters.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If all terrains work for you ... Toyo OC3 , LOAD C, 285/75-17
Good call.

I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT on right now and for the most part really like them.

(I should have qualified my comment earlier to say I couldn't find any C range that I liked... not sure why I didn't got with the Toyo's... or maybe they weren't available in that combo at the time?... Man, you should see my tire comparison spreadsheets. ;) )

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have 315/70r17 load E BFG KO2 on our Outer Banks. The ride quality did not really change from stock.

I was expecting the ride to be a little more harsh but like others have said, PSI is important.

I also strongly agree that I wouldn't want to go with a wheel larger than 17, maybe 18 if I was at all concerned about ride quality. The larger side wall definitely helps.

Our second vehicle is a F250 Tremor with E rated 35s aired up to 55 PSI in the front and 78 in the rear. The ride difference is night and day.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have 315/70r17 load E BFG KO2 on our Outer Banks. The ride quality did not really change from stock.

I was expecting the ride to be a little more harsh but like others have said, PSI is important.

I also strongly agree that I wouldn't want to go with a wheel larger than 17, maybe 18 if I was at all concerned about ride quality. The larger side wall definitely helps.

Our second vehicle is a F250 Tremor with E rated 35s aired up to 55 PSI in the front and 78 in the rear. The ride difference is night and day.
The BFG 315/70R17 on the Raptor are C rated. BFG makes an E rated in that size, but I would never want it on a Bronco.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd only run E tires tires on a heavy duty truck if you will be hauling heavy stuff.

Also remember that a 10 ply rated tire does not have 10 plies. Ply is a rating and usually consists of 2 ply construction. If you are looking for puncture resistant, just get a good quality all terrain tire. I had 12 ply military SUN-F on my old Can Am and it rode like hell. Hit a rock, tire didnt pop but my wheel and control arm broke. I like to think of tires as airbags for the rest of your rig :)

I had BFG ATs load E tires on my old FJ I could never get the wobble out of the steering wheel.
Sponsored