Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco…what else?
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The current option is NOT $695. That is an upgrade price over the cost of the included soft top which costs ~$2000. The MIC top street price will be pushing $3k with shipping.
Minus the free prep kit, of course. Thats gotta be like $95. So, you know, it’s not all bad news. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So, in a quick glance between work meetings, things I don’t see include:
1. “We are discontinuing the relationship with Webasto immediately and bringing roof-production in-house (or to another supplier).”
2. “We are ditching this design for a new one.”
3. Any mention of physical issues with the roof, like the separation/delamination seen in many buyers’ pictures. They are referring solely to “appearance” issues.
I feel like they are badly missing the mark here.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we know if this new design has been tested? Any chance we could end up in exactly the same position in 2 months?
2 recent Engineering grads and an intern are furiously running FEA right now.

That is apparently the extent of Ford engineering capability.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what the thicker outer layer will do to the gross vehicle weight ratings and center of gravity? There were already limitations on the roof rack for Sasquatch 4 doors. Will this affect the 2022 roof rack re-design?
Fuck all... Ford already HAD an new design in mind as MY22 Squatched 4 doors with V6's would be available with factory installed roof rails... Remember?
We better get more than 110Lbs dynamic rating too!

Sponsored

Slater

Badlands
First Name
Just Slater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soul crushing Camry now cancled out by Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope they take this opportunity to reassess the headliner as well. It's an insult to halfassed efforts everywhere.
Any idea if an existing unscheduled order with MIC that would be shifted to MY22 in late December can change their dealership in this timeframe?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the "bad batch" crew of 2,200+ builds stuck at MAP
You misspoke; they are not stuck at MAP - but quarantined in a sand and gravel pit...for likely 4 months. If I wanted a sandblasted vehicle, I'd buy used in Saudi Arabia

Really? This is Ford's idea of a 'customer satisfaction program'?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I couldn't read fast enough to keep up with the pages...

So sounds like Ford is claiming that in 2 months their new Hard Top manufacturer is going to start producing a replacement top?

Does anyone believe this is even possible? Seems like there's no way that Ford could start producing hardtop Broncos by December. That's only 4 months away.
I'm not buying it either. Maybe Ford will have a few hardtops ready in Oct 2021, just to say they made some under the new process and manufacturer. But I highly doubt any appreciable number of hardtops will be available until later. The mass producing will be months later, possibly many months.

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Irony. I thought about switching to Granger or Stephens to get the $1000 off invoice instead of local dealers who were offering no deals. I stuck with local because I didn’t want a MY22 Wildtrak. Now I’m getting a MY22 with no discount. What a total cluster.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the new redesigned top is still being manufactured by Webasto? I thought I read somehwere that they were working on getting a new hard top supplier up and running?
That is a new hardtop supplier for the Modular hardtop (available 2023) not the MIC hardtop.

Now will Ford dump Webasto at the end of this shitshow? Who knows. Sounds like this problem is more to do with Ford's design and less to do with Webasto's manufacturing ineptness.

Sponsored

BillieB

Outer Banks
First Name
Billie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler & F350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Updated by Administrator with full FAQ and Customer Satisfaction Program info.

Full Order Holder FAQ:

Order-Holder-FAQ-1.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-2.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-3.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-4.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-5.jpg

Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 21B49
(Certain 2021 Model Year Bronco Equipped with a Hard Top Roof Roof Panel Delamination)

CSP-21B49-awareness-communication.jpg

Some extra info from @PREMiERdrum

All new tooling and an altered design. It became quite clear that even when manufactured exactly to spec that the design was flawed.

The timeline here is optimistic, but the right move nonetheless.

No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.

Hey, you have every right to be a dick. This has been a mess.

The design issue is the unfinished edges. Initially, these were to be treated and sealed but it was never successful. The "coating" applied at the plant lasted for about a week, if that. The other issues plaguing the MIC top - thickness of outer ply, uniformity of material thickness, and forming issues within the clamshell - were perhaps made more challenging by the tooling but not necessarily impossible. This new design and tooling should aid in ALL these factors.

As for the 8/2 "full speed" production, that was the plan. Heels were firmly dug in on the engineering of the top and all fingers were pointed towards Plymouth. There was hope that the "best" of the roof units being delivered to MAP could at least be used to complete FE and stranded builds, but as more and more units were evaluated, it became clear that it was a bigger liability to release more of these out into the wild than to just scrap the thing and start over.

Like I said last night, this move HURTS... especially the "bad batch" crew of 2,200+ builds stuck at MAP, but it's absolutely the best way to address it at this juncture. A LOT of these headaches could have been alleviated by pulling the plug when the first issues became apparent, but that's not where we are.

Note:

Lots of people are assuming this means a new supplier, but I don't have any confirmation of that. From what I can tell, this new tooling for the MIC hardtops is being designed and paid for by Ford and will be installed at the Plymouth plant for Webasto to produce.

The MOD tops coming in 23 are from a new supplier that has yet to be publicly identified.
I'm in limbo between bullet point 2 & 3. My scheduled production is this week. Crying in 2door hardtop....

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
You misspoke; they are not stuck at MAP - but quarantined in a sand and gravel pit...for likely 4 months. If I wanted a sandblasted vehicle, I'd buy used in Saudi Arabia

Really? This is Ford's idea of a 'customer satisfaction program'?
Don't worry Ford is going to apply a protective wax to those quarantined Broncos! ;)

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I definitely wanted a 2021. Based on what I ordered and my early Day 1 reservation, I originally figured I'd probably get it in mid-August. As these issues have affected production, I started to worry that I would end up with the last 2021 rolling out. So, oddly, this news gives me relief.
  • It explains the problem
  • It explains the solution
  • It tells me in no uncertain terms that I'm getting a 2022
Congratulations to those who are getting a MIC top '21. Take care of them, as these will be the "only 1 of 27 like it" ;) claims when they hit the auction block in 30+ years. 😄
Sponsored