Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I bleed Ford, I have 4 Fords right now and the Bronco with the new technology is bad ass. One of the best things is the 10spd in my 19 F150, hands down the real deal
Sponsored

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are both autos. 5spd in the 4runner and 8spd in the Highlander.

I have had no problems with either transmission and both behave well.
Yeah, that was a nonstarter for me when shopping last year. Have read way too many complaints about the autos (and crawl control) and I'm still not positive I'm personally ready to give up the stick.

It's been a great truck and has been way more than adequate wherever I needed it to be, especially wheeling.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, that was a nonstarter for me when shopping last year. Have read way too many complaints about the autos (and crawl control) and I'm still not positive I'm personally ready to give up the stick.

It's been a great truck and has been way more than adequate wherever I needed it to be, especially wheeling.
Yep I get that. Everyone has different goals.

My target is to replace my 4runner for its current uses.

Daily driving, driving up into the mountains but not “offroading” as a hobby, weekends with the top down(new goal), and taking it to the lake where I pull my boat about 6 miles and drop it in the water. Exactly what I think the OBX trim defines.

Unfortately I was apparently off base thinking it was going to be adequate at towing.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep I get that. Everyone has different goals.

My target is to replace my 4runner for its current uses.

Daily driving, driving up into the mountains but not “offroading” as a hobby, weekends with the top down(new goal), and taking it to the lake where I pull my boat about 6 miles and drop it in the water. Exactly what I think the OBX trim defines.

Unfortately I was apparently off base thinking it was going to be adequate at towing.
Yeah, my main goals are DD, light overlanding/camping, and decently capable platform for wheeling. That's why I went Badlands. Have a bit of a philosophical question as to whether I bite the bullet and upgrade to the 6/auto/Squatch (provided Ford doesn't reverse course with the Mansquatch) or stick to it mostly stock.

Last year, it was down to a Taco and Gladiator, but the price on the Gladiator was just too much for what it offered IMO. Have not regretted the Taco since, and may even it keep it depending on how this all shakes out over the next few months.

Sponsored

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, my main goals are DD, light overlanding/camping, and decently capable platform for wheeling. That's why I went Badlands. Have a bit of a philosophical question as to whether I bite the bullet and upgrade to the 6/auto/Squatch (provided Ford doesn't reverse course with the Mansquatch) or stick to it mostly stock.

Last year, it was down to a Taco and Gladiator, but the price on the Gladiator was just too much for what it offered IMO. Have not regretted the Taco since, and may even it keep it depending on how this all shakes out over the next few months.
I am going to be test driving Gladiator Rubis and the updated T4R OffRoad Premium this weekend. Unfortunately the towing is a real big deal to me. Otherwise ill have to use the Highlander to tow which can do 5500.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to be test driving Gladiator Rubis and the updated T4R OffRoad Premium this weekend. Unfortunately the towing is a real big deal to me. Otherwise ill have to use the Highlander to tow which can do 5500.
I liked the Gladiator a lot, although it's still a bit cramped like all Jeeps are IMO. Get the deal with tow rating though. I don't have any toys or else I'd likely be in the same boat lol.

You were able to find a T4R? I know pretty much all new Tacos are gone (resale value is sky high, wish the Bronco were out sooner lol) and I've seen very few T4R at my area dealers.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I liked the Gladiator a lot, although it's still a bit cramped like all Jeeps are IMO. Get the deal with tow rating though. I don't have any toys or else I'd likely be in the same boat lol.

You were able to find a T4R? I know pretty much all new Tacos are gone (resale value is sky high, wish the Bronco were out sooner lol) and I've seen very few T4R at my area dealers.
Yeah there is a few ORP around here for $4000 off MSRP which is insane on a T4R. You can say anything you want about them but they hold their value like crazy. My 08 is still worth 12k as it's only got 140k miles.

The cramped thing is my issue with Jeeps Wranglers... was hoping the Gladiator was better... cause Im 6’7”.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah there is a few ORP around here for $4000 off MSRP which is insane on a T4R. You can say anything you want about them but they hold their value like crazy. My 08 is still worth 12k as it's only got 140k miles.

The cramped thing is my issue with Jeeps Wranglers... was hoping the Gladiator was better... cause Im 6’7”.
I'm not blessed with your height but I have broad shoulders and just am not a fan of how I sit in them. Still, I enjoyed it--it was the cost that really put me off.

Then again, you can go by any number of Jeep dealers and find a few on the lots. Same can't be said of the Tacos, at least around me.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not blessed with your height but I have broad shoulders and just am not a fan of how I sit in them. Still, I enjoyed it--it was the cost that really put me off.

Then again, you can go by any number of Jeep dealers and find a few on the lots. Same can't be said of the Tacos, at least around me.
Yeah they got some pretty aggressive discounts on Gladiators around here. Around the same as what I assume my Bronco spec will be. $6,000 off an on lot 2020 Rubicon.

Most guys my size just buy a full sized truck but I am just not into vehicles that big.

Sponsored

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah they got some pretty aggressive discounts on Gladiators around here. Around the same as what I assume my Bronco spec will be. $6,000 off an on lot 2020 Rubicon.

Most guys my size just buy a full sized truck but I am just not into vehicles that big.
When I went and found one I liked it was around $55K and that was in excess of 10 more grand than I paid for what is ostensibly a fully-loaded TRD Off Road.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not discounting what your saying, and my cows aren’t in the 4Runner pasture - but for a very long time Toyota has been the only Wrangler competitor. The 4Runner May have a couple flaws but I think the advantages outweigh those flaws - particularly when the competition is non-existence.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do realize that, but I stand by the perception of a 4 runner being a kid hauler to me. Its styling is bland, no open roof is a huge differentiator.
Yeah thats a pretty bad take. 4runners are insanely capable still. But I wouldn't take too much offense from someone who drives an Escape. :)

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 runner is just another SUV, with a worse ride. It looks and feels like every other SUV on the road, leave it to toyota to make an enthusiast vehicle still feel like an appliance.

wrangler, the ride quality on it is just too rough, and honestly... I guess I feel like I missed the boat. the wrangler feels a bit too clicky for my, like you have to join some secret fraternity when you buy one. bronco feels fresh, like Im in on the ground floor of something rather than jumping onto a bandwagon. yes I know broncos been around before, but its still new.
WOw, exactly this. Very well put. Jeep is a cult. I'll say it cause it's friggin true. Don't disagree or ask for improvements, cause if you do you'll get kicked out of the cult and banned from every future event. Even though they KNOW it needs improving it MUST STAY that way because if it was a SMOOTH ride, it wouldn't be a Jeep lol...every time I write something like this I literally am lol'ing, but the sad thing is it's not a joke...it's actually true!!!

Reactions: Axe

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
WOw, exactly this. Very well put. Jeep is a cult. I'll say it cause it's friggin true. Don't disagree or ask for improvements, cause if you do you'll get kicked out of the cult and banned from every future event. Even though they KNOW it needs improving it MUST STAY that way because if it was a SMOOTH ride, it wouldn't be a Jeep lol...every time I write something like this I literally am lol'ing, but the sad thing is it's not a joke...it's actually true!!!
Clearly none of you have ridden a Jeep from the 80s when leaf springs were used front and rear.

If you expect an off-road vehicle to ride like a minivan Ford, FCA, GM are perfectly happy to sell you multiple different minivan configurations:
Sponsored