Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To quote the original “Built Wild” launch video:
“BUILT with the toughness of an F Series (F Series aka Ford trucks) and the spirit of a Mustang”

Both of which have 10R80 10 speeds....

I’m sure the words: “toughness of an F Series” is very implicit, that they (Ford) are utilizing proven “tough” Truck (not car) parts in the Bronco.

Even the Explorer Police Interceptor utilizes a “tougher” trans (10R80)than the standard 10R60.

From the Ranger 10R80 truck to the F series 10R80 it is implicit that the Bronco was inherently based on “tough” “drive over any terrain” Truck parts i.e. the 10R80 (not an SUV 10R60) transmission.

Advertising can be subjective but “built to take on the most rugged terrain.....” does not imply the use of an “Explorer transmission”, but rather what they actually said “built with the toughness of an F Series”.

The “R” Bronco factory engineers stated multiple times they were using the same parts from the production Bronco vehicle. On three occasions they stated that was an 10R80 ten speed transmission....

I think any 9 year old can follow the logic here.....

For Ford to utilize the lesser 10R60 in the new Bronco is a strait out misrepresentation of what we were led to believe by both the launch video representation and the statements of the Ford race truck engineers.

IMO:)
Given that the term "tough" isn't a standardized metric, I'm pretty sure this law-suit would fail.
Sponsored

Tahotrvlr

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tahotrvlr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given that the term "tough" isn't a standardized metric, I'm pretty sure this law-suit would fail.
“Built Ford Tough”.... is reference to their Truck line.

If by chance these non Truck “Explorer” 10R60 transmissions start grenadining as they clearly are with the 2020 line of Explorer’s (Which clearly Ford knows is an issue and there is an existing recall.....)

Do you really think that a reasonable person would NOT take issue with how they (Ford), referenced, characterized, and stated this transmission was: “built with the toughness of the F Series, then verified by the Ford Racing engineers that the 10R80 ...(was in fact intended to be used for the Bronco production)..... was never intended or then later swapped with a different transmission.

If they (Ford) never intended or decided to swap the 10R80 truck transmission for the Explorer SUV/car 10R60 transmission ( which they knew in advance was defective ????)
It would prove thier culpability.

Call me crazy.... I disagree with you that this is an un-win-able case.

Secondly, I doubt Ford really wants this bad publicity. Personally I think it would be far more prudent to fix the problem by putting in the right transmission.

FYI all of the Ford representatives at the Ford Auto Nights SEMA Special from Ford ... Ryan Olsen (Bronco Design Manager) Jeff Seaman (Bronco Global Program Manager)
and Esteban Plaza-Jennings (Bronco Marketing Manager) each said they would go with the “Manual Transmission “ (with the exception of Seaman who said he would go with both manual and AT)

hmmmm???? Interesting????

Last edited:

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base

If by chance these non Truck “Explorer” 10R60 transmissions start grenadining as they clearly are with the 2020 line of Explorer’s (Which clearly Ford knows is an issue and there is an existing recall.....)

Do you really think that a reasonable person would take NOT take issue with how they (Ford)referenced, characterized, and stated this was: “built with the toughness of the F Series..... when they decided to swapped from the 10R80 truck transmission to the Explorer SUV/car 10R60 transmission??? ( which they knew in advance was defective ????)

Secondly, I doubt Ford really wants this bad publicity. Personally I think it would be far more prudent to fix the problem by putting in the right transmission.
I’m with you 100% on this one. When the Broncos start hitting the dealership lots will see if Ford cares. if the 10r60 is in the broncos they can keep mine 😊. I don’t what to find out the hard way nor do I want to spend over 42k and just hope for the best. I’ve waited this long I can wait another year or two.

Jeka

First Name
Jeka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don’t freak out yet. Ford will release a 2023 Warthog with 10R80 and $10-15k over the First Edition price tag to satisfy the “promise”.
nothing official, just IMO - ready to bet a beer on that :)

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Do you really think that a reasonable person would take NOT take issue with how they (Ford)referenced, characterized, and stated this was: “built with the toughness of the F Series..... when they decided to swapped from the 10R80 truck transmission to the Explorer SUV/car 10R60 transmission??? ( which they knew in advance was defective ????)

FYI all of the Ford representatives at the Ford Auto Nights SEMA Special from Ford ... Ryan Olsen (Bronco Design Manager) Jeff Seaman (Bronco Global Program Manager)
and Esteban Plaza-Jennings (Bronco Marketing Manager) each said they would go with the “Manual Transmission “ (with the exception of Seaman who said he would go with both manual and AT)

Never confuse marketing spin with specifics.

Sponsored

Tahotrvlr

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tahotrvlr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford 10R60 Ford Explorer/Aviator Recall

https://ford.oemdtc.com/6965/10r60-...-downshift-2020-ford-explorer-lincoln-aviator

10R60 Automatic Transmission – Harsh 7-6 Gear Downshift – 2020 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator
Manufacturer Communication Number:

TSB 20-2337

Summary. Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator vehicles built on or before 19-May-2020 and equipped with a 10R60 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh 7-6 gear downshift. This may be caused by the A clutch piston return spring snap ring becoming dislodged. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the front support and A clutch assemblies.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford 10R60 Ford Explorer/Aviator Recall

10R60 Automatic Transmission – Harsh 7-6 Gear Downshift – 2020 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator
Manufacturer Communication Number:

TSB 20-2337

Summary. Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator vehicles built on or before 19-May-2020 and equipped with a 10R60 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh 7-6 gear downshift. This may be caused by the A clutch piston return spring snap ring becoming dislodged.Feb 22, 202
And just how can Ford refuse to cover issues under warranty?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And just how can Ford refuse to cover issues under warranty?
I understand Webasto will be handling all Bronco warranty repairs

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, So I asked the Bronco Rep at the showing at Billy Howell Ford in GA Saturday which Trans the Bronco was getting and he said the 10R80. I said are you sure? He said Yes, the production vehicles are getting the 10R80. Time will tell.

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
The Ford Bronco Will Reportedly Use the Explorer’s 10-Speed Transmission, and Fans Aren’t Happy
Everyone assumed it'd have the 10R80 like the Ranger, but dealer data says otherwise.

May 17, 2021

“The information was leaked by a Bronco 6G forum user who claims to be a Ford parts pro. They explained that the transmission replacement is listed in their computer as a 10R60 unit, like the Explorer has, rather than the 10R80 like the Bronco's Ranger platform-mate has. Seeing as the new off-roader is available with 35-inch tires that are anything but light, some think Ford made the wrong call.

Naysayers piled on the post, complaining that a dedicated 4x4 like this should have a heavier duty truck transmission instead of one from a family-hauling crossover. Meanwhile, glass-half-full types say the 10R60 shifts smoother, no matter if it's in automatic or manual mode. How it'd do in the Bronco is anyone's guess seeing as virtually nobody but Ford has driven one yet.

After combing through the library of press materials Ford has sent my way regarding the Bronco, it's only ever referenced as a 10-speed automatic with lots of dynamic adjectives attached. The 10R80 was never specified but rather assumed by 'most everyone seeing as that's what the Ranger has, and the Bronco's supposed to share plenty of parts with the midsize pickup.

In combination with the off-road suspension, the 10R60 could also explain the relatively low 3,500-pound max tow rating Ford achieved with the Bronco.

We've reached out to Ford for confirmation on this, though the automaker is yet to respond.”

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you really think that a reasonable person would NOT take issue with how they (Ford)referenced, characterized, and stated this was: “built with the toughness of the F Series..... when they decided to swapped from the 10R80 truck transmission to the Explorer SUV/car 10R60 transmission??? ( which they knew in advance was defective ????)

YOU'RE CRAZY!

Ford could definitely be sued if these transmissions turn out to be completely unsuitable for this application, i.e whatever problems that arise can't be fixed with a simple repair or replacement, but the idea that the a successful class action lawsuit could be brought against Ford because a bunch of folks on the interwebs made assumptions on transmission type based on marketing is ... CRAZY

Last edited:

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Ford Bronco Will Reportedly Use the Explorer’s 10-Speed Transmission, and Fans Aren’t Happy
Everyone assumed it'd have the 10R80 like the Ranger, but dealer data says otherwise.

May 17, 2021

“The information was leaked by a Bronco 6G forum user who claims to be a Ford parts pro. They explained that the transmission replacement is listed in their computer as a 10R60 unit, like the Explorer has, rather than the 10R80 like the Bronco's Ranger platform-mate has. Seeing as the new off-roader is available with 35-inch tires that are anything but light, some think Ford made the wrong call.

Naysayers piled on the post, complaining that a dedicated 4x4 like this should have a heavier duty truck transmission instead of one from a family-hauling crossover. Meanwhile, glass-half-full types say the 10R60 shifts smoother, no matter if it's in automatic or manual mode. How it'd do in the Bronco is anyone's guess seeing as virtually nobody but Ford has driven one yet.

After combing through the library of press materials Ford has sent my way regarding the Bronco, it's only ever referenced as a 10-speed automatic with lots of dynamic adjectives attached. The 10R80 was never specified but rather assumed by 'most everyone seeing as that's what the Ranger has, and the Bronco's supposed to share plenty of parts with the midsize pickup.

In combination with the off-road suspension, the 10R60 could also explain the relatively low 3,500-pound max tow rating Ford achieved with the Bronco.

We've reached out to Ford for confirmation on this, though the automaker is yet to respond.”
The link...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40654...rs-10-speed-transmission-and-fans-arent-happy

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m with you 100% on this one. When the Broncos start hitting the dealership lots will see if Ford cares. if the 10r60 is in the broncos they can keep mine 😊. I don’t what to find out the hard way nor do I want to spend over 42k and just hope for the best. I’ve waited this long I can wait another year or two.
It really is a good thing that you and the other forum mechanics know more than the Ford engineers who (may) put this transmission in.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... It's really just about expectations having been set for so long, and later finding out your expectations aren't being met. Not much we can do about it though...
Bad publicity and complaints in numbers and it will change.

May 17, 2021

“The information was leaked by a Bronco 6G forum user who claims to be a Ford parts pro. ...

Does the 60 not have ports for a remote cooler? Is that one of the car/truck differences between models?
Sponsored