Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This chart is hilarious, looks like a child with powerpoint, no understand of scale, or log, or linear distribution.
I laughed out loud when I saw it, clicked the link and received no further information on how this was determined. No fluid analysis, no description of fluid used, or let alone what transmission this is referring to.

It is my understanding that those who share shit like this literally have not a clue.
Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is no reason to think that the 10R60 doesnā€™t have the beef to stand up to years of use. Letā€™s compare to the Explorer: Explorer weighs more, carries more people & cargo, tows almost 2x more weight, rated for almost 2x more trailer frontal area, and the 3.0TT in the Explorer makes more power. If the internals can hold up in that then they can hold up in the Bronco.

Donā€˜t forget that the PCU has all sorts of smarts built-in to provide drivetrain longevity, such as torque management & other features that arenā€™t even advertised. Unfortunately, the first thing most tuners do is turn off the self-protection features in the name of more power. Shame on them, but if you choose to go down that path then donā€˜t go pointing fingers.

Letā€˜s keep in mind that Ford sees this as a car, not a truck. A sturdy body on frame car but still a car. As such they have to balance capability with fuel economy and such. Every ounce of weight or millimeter of gear size impacts not only fuel economy but also acceleration, cornering, braking, hill climbing and soft sand/mud flotation.

If you want a heavy super duty truck then Ford makes those too, but they weigh 7,000-9,000 lbs and get unspeakably bad fuel mileage, plus they sink like an anchor in mud or sand.

Tomcat2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 ol blu, '21 new blu
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no reason to think that the 10R60 doesnā€™t have the beef to stand up to years of use. Letā€™s compare to the Explorer: Explorer weighs more, carries more people & cargo, tows almost 2x more weight, rated for almost 2x more trailer frontal area, and the 3.0TT in the Explorer makes more power. If the internals can hold up in that then they can hold up in the Bronco.

Donā€˜t forget that the PCU has all sorts of smarts built-in to provide drivetrain longevity, such as torque management & other features that arenā€™t even advertised. Unfortunately, the first thing most tuners do is turn off the self-protection features in the name of more power. Shame on them, but if you choose to go down that path then donā€˜t go pointing fingers.

Letā€˜s keep in mind that Ford sees this as a car, not a truck. A sturdy body on frame car but still a car. As such they have to balance capability with fuel economy and such. Every ounce of weight or millimeter of gear size impacts not only fuel economy but also acceleration, cornering, braking, hill climbing and soft sand/mud flotation.

If you want a heavy super duty truck then Ford makes those too, but they weigh 7,000-9,000 lbs and get unspeakably bad fuel mileage, plus they sink like an anchor in mud or

If you want a heavy super duty truck then Ford makes those too, but they weigh 7,000-9,000 lbs and get unspeakably bad fuel mileage, plus they sink like an anchor in mud or sand.
I'm not sure that transmission is starting off on the right foot when it comes to showing it 'has enough beef'. Time will tell.

As far as Ford seeing this as a car and not the iconic off-road legend that it is. Are you kidding? The bronco sport is perfect for your description, not the Bronco.

Sponsored

bajachris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Raptor, 66 Race bronco, 16 F350/camper w/37s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know if the 10R60 is physically smaller than the 10R80?

There must be a reason for this tranny to exist, it must either be smaller/lighter and/or cheaper to build than the 10R80 - otherwise why would it exist?

Also, it seems the 10R60 is a newer development than the 10R80, will the 60 now be used instead of the 80 in other applications that have been using the 80? (For example to save cost)?

There sure is a lot of worry on this board about something for which very little is known.

TheObiJuan

Wildtrak
First Name
J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ran the VIN of a 2 door WT 2.7 from the off-roadeo and it has a 10R60 as well as a BL 2.3 down there. The blue thing is what was leaking on certain build date 2.3 Explorers. As others have said, the Bronco cooler is up front which makes this a non issue. Being on the service end of the business we do not see systemic issues with this trans. There have been some with problems early on but a lot less than the 10R80. Most of the issues with both have been software/shift feel concerns, very few major mechanical failures, interceptors included.

Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] 1621963646227

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ran the VIN of a 2 door WT 2.7 from the off-roadeo and it has a 10R60 as well as a BL 2.3 down there. The blue thing is what was leaking on certain build date 2.3 Explorers. As others have said, the Bronco cooler is up front which makes this a non issue. Being on the service end of the business we do not see systemic issues with this trans. There have been some with problems early on but a lot less than the 10R80. Most of the issues with both have been software/shift feel concerns, very few major mechanical failures, interceptors included.

Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] 1621963646227
its just bizarre to have a trans oil cooler basically bolted to the the trans. I am an engineer just not automotive, but fluid dynamics tell me thats not the best place for a "cooling" device.

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

its just bizarre to have a trans oil cooler basically bolted to the the trans. I am an engineer just not automotive, but fluid dynamics tell me thats not the best place for a "cooling" device.
Yeah, that wouldn't seem to be ideal.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It amazes me how they can deviate from proven systems, designs and known good components and then wonder why stuff like this happens. Run lines from the trans to an internal radiator trans cooler or standalone oil to air. Nope, had to hang this stupid thing on the side.....under the vehicle.....where bad stuff happens. I've personally seen 2 of these leaking and both were covered under the recall program, none were outside of the build date range of the FSA.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It amazes me how they can deviate from proven systems, designs and known good components and then wonder why stuff like this happens. Run lines from the trans to an internal radiator trans cooler or standalone oil to air. Nope, had to hang this stupid thing on the side.....under the vehicle.....where bad stuff happens.
I understand the concept of building to a price-point, and the trade-offs inherent in meeting it. Bronco kind'a blurs that because the range is $30K-$60K....and extra dollars don't buy much that's important to me; i.e. speakers, software, coverings. I personally don't give a rat's ass if my Bronco interfaces with my phone, my LayZboy, or my toaster.

But I do care about mechanics and reliability....and no matter how much you spend on Bronco, you're still buying $30,000 mechanical reliability.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand the concept of building to a price-point, and the trade-offs inherent in meeting it. Bronco kind'a blurs that because the range is $30K-$60K....and extra dollars don't buy much that's important to me; i.e. speakers, software, coverings. I personally don't give a rat's ass if my Bronco interfaces with my phone, my LayZboy, or my toaster.

But I do care about mechanics and reliability....and no matter how much you spend on Bronco, you're still buying $30,000 mechanical reliability.
Agreed. If you are going to market this for off-road capability, it better damn well be able to hold up better than a vehicle destined for pavement only driving. I know there has been a lot of upheaval about what they originally said, deep dive into the two different models but I'm not concerned. This could have problems at some point but there is much speculation and not a lot of actual data since we are not yet in full production or widespread use. Based on what I've seen, I would rather have the 60 over the 80. Software is what is going to make the difference.

Guess you could look at it like this. If it's tough enough for a 2.7 with big wheels and tires, it's overbuilt for the 2.3.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
Sponsored