First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Those are 90k+ parts these days so probably not.

But who knows. Could be human error, could be faulty components. Could be a critter that decided the cables looked tasty.
Could be lube that went with the $800 service.
Sponsored

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The 20k service on my Ranger consisted of dumping/refilling diffs & tcase, oil change, and cabin filter and it only ran me 320$ or so..

Wot in tarnation did they perform for you to rack up 800$?

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 20k service on my Ranger consisted of dumping/refilling diffs & tcase, oil change, and cabin filter and it only ran me 320$ or so..

They're exaggerating, the 20k service is oil change, tire rotation and change cabin air-filter.

The drivetrain fluids aren't scheduled until 150k.

20,000 mi:
42. Replace the cabin air filter.

30,000 mi:
43. Replace the engine air filter.

100,000 mi:
44. Replace the spark plugs.

150,000 mi:
45. Change the automatic transmission fluid.
46. Change the manual transmission fluid.
47. Change the front axle fluid.
48. Change the rear axle fluid.
49. Change the transfer case fluid.
50. Replace the accessory drive belt(s). **

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably a dealer that pushes the snake oil flushes.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They're exaggerating, the 20k service is oil change, tire rotation and change cabin air-filter.

The drivetrain fluids aren't scheduled until 150k.

20,000 mi:
42. Replace the cabin air filter.

30,000 mi:
43. Replace the engine air filter.

100,000 mi:
44. Replace the spark plugs.

150,000 mi:
45. Change the automatic transmission fluid.
46. Change the manual transmission fluid.
47. Change the front axle fluid.
48. Change the rear axle fluid.
49. Change the transfer case fluid.
50. Replace the accessory drive belt(s). **
I opted to have the diffs/tcase changed at 20k because I have no faith in ford's reccomended intervals being sufficient for long term health. Planned to do the trans at 50k.

Ford both engineers it's vehicles and decides on its reccomended service intervals with the goal of 95% of its vehicles lasting 150k miles. That's it.. and thats not enough for me. I'll spend a few more bucks going above and beyond in hopes that it makes a meaningful difference. It's worth it for peace of mind at the very least, personally.

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I opted to have the diffs/tcase changed at 20k because I have no faith in ford's reccomended intervals being sufficient for long term health. Planned to do the trans at 50k.

Ford both engineers it's vehicles and decides on its reccomended service intervals with the goal of 95% of its vehicles lasting 150k miles. That's it.. and thats not enough for me. I'll spend a few more bucks going above and beyond in hopes that it makes a meaningful difference. It's worth it for peace of mind at the very least, personally.

Thats all good, whatever gives you piece of mind.

I was answering your question about the $800 20k service.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The $800 @ 20K miles has me more concerned. BTW my money is on the technician messed something up. I just had my 2018 Mustang GT in for an oil leak under extended warranty. The repair needed was under the front motor cover. Picked the car up, and the windshield was split right down the middle. They would replace but I still took the car home. Next morning, puddle of oil beneath the car. Take it back, and oil pan needs replacing. ( oops to much tightening). Replaced oil pan. No leaks but now the steering wheel is not centered. If you read the work receipt for what they have to unbolt, remove, and lower sub frames you would soil yourself. So it goes back to get the steering wheel properly aligned.( The have to take the steering linkage apart to conduct the repairs).

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably a dealer that pushes the snake oil flushes.
A power steering flush. Gotta get fresh EPS fluid in that rack, and some fresh smoke for the motor wires.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not many
There were a few 2.3 failures reported/tracked back in '21 & '22 - back when someone was keeping track
Yes I'm aware of those few in the beginning. A far cry from the "thousands of failed engines" in reference to the 2.3.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Brief update, spoke with insurance. They were fairly sure itā€™s a total loss. Will have confirmation next week after the fire inspection. So sad. That was a year one preorder specked for me. Had put a ton into it. Everglades rims, Oracle halo color changing headlights, 4wp rock sliders, and KC daylighters. Really donā€™t want to start a build all over.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Brief update, spoke with insurance. They were fairly sure itā€™s a total loss. Will have confirmation next week after the fire inspection. So sad. That was a year one preorder specked for me. Had put a ton into it. Everglades rims, Oracle halo color changing headlights, 4wp rock sliders, and KC daylighters. Really donā€™t want to start a build all over.
I would think engine bay fire would be a total loss. Not something the local body shop is gonna work on.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry that sucks.
You're able to pull your parts off unless they are going to reimburse you for them.

OP
OP
Philly Big Bronco Boy

Philly Big Bronco Boy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why canā€™t I just engine swap and throw an absurd v8 in there or something?
I would think engine bay fire would be a total loss. Not something the local body shop is gonna work on.
Sorry that sucks.
You're able to pull your parts off unless they are going to reimburse you for them.
insurance is going to let me swap the tires back to oem if they total it so I can keep the Everglades rims. But theyā€™re going to comp me for the lights and such as they donā€™t want me to use anything that could have been exposed to the fire. Sounds like theyā€™re going to do whatever they can to make me whole. Still sad day if itā€™s gone. Loved that car.
Sponsored