Sponsored

2.7L and 3.0L engine NHTSA probe expanded -- defective fractured intake valves issue [WARNING: NO TROLLING]

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I'm reading the pdf right, looks like it was a materials defect causing the valves to go brittle when they got hot(ter than normal). switching to a slightly different alloy seems to have remedied it.
I'm actually a quality engineer. Bad heat treat causing embrittlement was pretty obviously the issue. The trick is tracking down root cause, containment, etc.

CTwaterfowler

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I only have 3000 miles on my bronco, 2021 OBX . I do not drive it much, but my engine build was the lotto for most failures. I think it was 209 Julian date, I m working off memory (dangerous).
this should be interesting, I have an 8 yr extended warranty from ford that I purchased when I bought the vehicle.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

39,000 still going fine….

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It strikes me that 1,000 engine failures out of 708,000 engines would be perhaps even below the normal failure rate for a mass market twin-turbo V6.

I have 33,000 miles on a 2.7 with a 150k Ford ESP. I'll hopefully have a long time to test Ford's resolve to fix any issues.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What would it cost to replace the valves on an engine that hasn't self destructed yet?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm actually a quality engineer. Bad heat treat causing embrittlement was pretty obviously the issue. The trick is tracking down root cause, containment, etc.
The material quoted prior in the thread mentions that the over heating condition was caused by machining, not heat treating.

"[the valve] can become excessively hard and brittle if an over-temperature condition occurs during machining of the component"

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did Ford fix the issue for MY23, or are they just not included?

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm well past the date range on the valve dropping(06/22) but I do have concerns over cam phasers that have plagued Ford. I've already told wife if it ever goes in for anything major it will be traded in for the new 4Runner or even a Frontier. I love our Bronco but have major reservations about long term reliability and we keep vehicles until the wheels fall off.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm well past the date range on the valve dropping(06/22) but I do have concerns over cam phasers that have plagued Ford. I've already told wife if it ever goes in for anything major it will be traded in for the new 4Runner or even a Frontier. I love our Bronco but have major reservations about long term reliability and we keep vehicles until the wheels fall off.
But its not like Toyota has the sterling reputation its had in the past with its quality-they've had their own issues with different things and part of the reason they had that reputation was they didn't change much each model year. They are just skating along on their past loreals imo.

INFINITE23

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 C63 AMG, 2015 GL 450 4M, 2023 OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just further evidence that these should have gotten a babyzilla

Also if they recall these before the strike lifts I don’t think anyone with a 23 that’s not been built will get their car anytime soon.
Sponsored