Sponsored

2.7L and 3.0L engine NHTSA probe expanded -- defective fractured intake valves issue [WARNING: NO TROLLING]

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...B&cvid=b7a4ce5022294212bc90af6c24ca7203&ei=23

DETROIT (AP) — U.S. auto safety investigators have expanded a probe into Ford Motor Co. engine failures to include nearly 709,000 vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also said in documents posted Monday on its website that it upgraded the investigation to an engineering analysis, a step closer to a recall.

The investigation now covers Ford's F-150 pickup truck, as well as Explorer, Bronco and Edge SUVs and Lincoln Nautilus and Aviator SUVs. All are from the 2021 and 2022 model years and are equipped with 2.7-liter or 3.0-liter V6 turbocharged engines.

The agency says that under normal driving conditions the engines can lose power due to catastrophic engine failure related to allegedly faulty valves.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr BD SQ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Friday NHTSA updated their investigation

3 Investigations
for 2021 FORD BRONCO

FILTER INVESTIGATIONS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS
All (3) ENGINE (3)
September 29, 2023 NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: EA23002OPEN INVESTIGATION
Loss of Motive Power

NHTSA Action Number: EA23002
Components ENGINE
Opened From: September 29, 2023–Present
Summary

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) received three letters from consumers in March 2022, requesting the investigation of an alleged defect in the valvetrain of model year (MY) 2021 Ford Bronco vehicles equipped with 2.7L EcoBoost engines. The petitioners allege that MY 2021 Ford Bronco vehicles are experiencing catastrophic engine failure resulting in loss of motive power in a variety of driving conditions with no ability to restart. On May 27, 2022, ODI opened a Defect Petition (DP22-001) to evaluate whether to grant or deny the petitioners’ request to investigate. ODI identified 26 Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQs) related to the alleged defect, leading to the granting of the petition. A Preliminary Evaluation (PE22-007) was opened on July 22, 2022, to assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety-related consequences of the alleged defect.

ODI sent an Information Request (IR) letter to Ford requesting material for both the subject 2021 Ford Bronco (25,619 vehicles), as well as additional Ford model/model year vehicle populations equipped with 2.7L EcoBoost engine including the MY 2022 Bronco (33,106 vehicles), MY 2021-2022 F-150 (155,619 vehicles), MY 2021-2022 Edge (6,889 vehicles), and MY 2021-2022 Lincoln Nautilus (8,596 vehicles). In their response to ODI’s request, Ford provided evidence of 328 customer complaints (including field reports), 487 warranty claims, and 809 engine exchanges relating to these vehicle populations. The provided data is comprised of reports of engine failure resulting in several consequences, the most common of which being loss of motive power while the vehicle is in motion. Additionally, analysis of Ford’s IR response revealed that the alleged defect is present across the “Nano” engine family, which includes both the 2.7L and 3.0L EcoBoost engine variants. Vehicles which offer the 3.0L EcoBoost engine as either standard or optional equipment include MY 2021-2022 Explorer and MY 2021-2022 Lincoln Aviator. These model/model year populations will be included within the scope of the engineering analysis and updated population and failure data will be evaluated.

During the investigation, multiple contributing factors were identified which can lead to the fracturing of the intake valves in the subject engines. Ford acknowledged that a fractured intake valve can result in catastrophic engine failure and a loss of motive power and noted that following a valve fracture, a vehicle typically requires a full engine replacement. Ford advised ODI that the defective valves were manufactured out of a specific alloy known as “Silchrome Lite”, which can become excessively hard and brittle if an over-temperature condition occurs during machining of the component. A design modification was implemented in October 2021, which changed the intake valve material to a different alloy known as “Silchrome 1”, that is less susceptible to over-temperature during machine grinding. Ford has identified that the defective intake valves commonly fail early in a vehicle’s life and has suggested that the majority of failures have already occurred.

ODI is opening an Engineering Analysis (EA) in order to 1) evaluate the scope and frequency of allegations across the expanded scope of model/model year vehicle populations equipped with the 2.7L and 3.0L EcoBoost engines, 2) coordinate with NHTSA’s Vehicle Research and Testing Center (VRTC) to evaluate field return parts, 3) analyze the effect of time-in-service on the failure rates for the affected engines, and 4) gather and review additional information to evaluate the effectiveness of Ford’s manufacturing improvements regarding the alleged defect.

To review the reports cited in the attached Opening Resume ODI Report Identification Number document, go to NHTSA.gov.

12 Affected Products
Vehicles

MAKEMODELYEAR
FORDBRONCO2021-2022
FORDEDGE2021-2022
FORDEXPLORER2021-2022
FORDF-1502021-2022
LINCOLNAVIATOR2021-2022
LINCOLNNAUTILUS2021-2022
2 Associated Documents

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
no replacements? :ROFLMAO: my engine build date/vin falls within a week or so in-between two known failures...but 18k miles and still chugging
I may be wrong but it seems that the highest mileage reported on this forum for a valve related engine failure was 7500. Mine failed at 3900 July 1, 2021.

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
** the unrevised cam phasers would like to get a word in on this subject**

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I may be wrong but it seems that the highest mileage reported on this forum for a valve related engine failure was 7500. Mine failed at 3900 July 1, 2021.

@mpeugeot has like 80K on his. Not sure how close it is to the bad dates but it should be in the thick of it.

@j_marinelli has one around then as well.

Just trying to help.
Sponsored