Sponsored

2.7L and 3.0L engine NHTSA probe expanded -- defective fractured intake valves issue [WARNING: NO TROLLING]

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@mpeugeot has like 80K on his. Not sure how close it is to the bad dates but it should be in the thick of it.

@j_marinelli has one around then as well.

Just trying to help.
Currently on around 32k miles. My motor build was a 209er (which was one of the dates with the highest occurrences). Of the failed motors on my day, one user had a motor built 200 in front of me and one 14 after mine. It certainly is a random occurrence to some extent , but I would love for Ford to provide an official response in regards to what they have found as I don't think they ever did. It would be an added bonus (though it would never happen) if Ford was to offer an extended warranty just on the motors that are effected by it (assuming they have isolated the dates down).
Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's fine journalism there. So is the defect associated with the new valve, the old valve, or the first X batches of the new one?
If I'm reading the pdf right, looks like it was a materials defect causing the valves to go brittle when they got hot(ter than normal). switching to a slightly different alloy seems to have remedied it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

nikkgmm

Badlands
First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sooo, My window sticker date is build 11/27/21. I wonder (and hope) I have the new material utilized.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sooo, My window sticker date is build 11/27/21. I wonder (and hope) I have the new material utilized.
You will get notified when your engine throws a "rapid unscheduled disassembly" code.

nikkgmm

Badlands
First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You will get notified when your engine throws a "rapid unscheduled disassembly" code.
I imagine right when I am in the middle of a river crossing. Has anyone seen an vin number checks we can use for comparison to see who is in the clear?

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Issue was addressed by Ford in Oct of 21 so should be a non-issue for most.
So what does all this mean? Mine was built in Aug-July of 2021 .... am I totally hosed?

Art Bell

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I imagine right when I am in the middle of a river crossing. Has anyone seen an vin number checks we can use for comparison to see who is in the clear?
So what does all this mean? Mine was built in Aug-July of 2021 .... am I totally hosed?
It's by engine date, not VIN number.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Where were these parts made?
Friday NHTSA updated their investigation

3 Investigationsfor 2021 FORD BRONCO
FILTER INVESTIGATIONS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS
All (3)ENGINE (3)
September 29, 2023 NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: EA23002OPEN INVESTIGATION
Loss of Motive Power

NHTSA Action Number: EA23002
Components ENGINE
Opened From: September 29, 2023–Present
Summary

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) received three letters from consumers in March 2022, requesting the investigation of an alleged defect in the valvetrain of model year (MY) 2021 Ford Bronco vehicles equipped with 2.7L EcoBoost engines. The petitioners allege that MY 2021 Ford Bronco vehicles are experiencing catastrophic engine failure resulting in loss of motive power in a variety of driving conditions with no ability to restart. On May 27, 2022, ODI opened a Defect Petition (DP22-001) to evaluate whether to grant or deny the petitioners’ request to investigate. ODI identified 26 Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQs) related to the alleged defect, leading to the granting of the petition. A Preliminary Evaluation (PE22-007) was opened on July 22, 2022, to assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety-related consequences of the alleged defect.
ODI sent an Information Request (IR) letter to Ford requesting material for both the subject 2021 Ford Bronco (25,619 vehicles), as well as additional Ford model/model year vehicle populations equipped with 2.7L EcoBoost engine including the MY 2022 Bronco (33,106 vehicles), MY 2021-2022 F-150 (155,619 vehicles), MY 2021-2022 Edge (6,889 vehicles), and MY 2021-2022 Lincoln Nautilus (8,596 vehicles). In their response to ODI’s request, Ford provided evidence of 328 customer complaints (including field reports), 487 warranty claims, and 809 engine exchanges relating to these vehicle populations. The provided data is comprised of reports of engine failure resulting in several consequences, the most common of which being loss of motive power while the vehicle is in motion. Additionally, analysis of Ford’s IR response revealed that the alleged defect is present across the “Nano” engine family, which includes both the 2.7L and 3.0L EcoBoost engine variants. Vehicles which offer the 3.0L EcoBoost engine as either standard or optional equipment include MY 2021-2022 Explorer and MY 2021-2022 Lincoln Aviator. These model/model year populations will be included within the scope of the engineering analysis and updated population and failure data will be evaluated.
During the investigation, multiple contributing factors were identified which can lead to the fracturing of the intake valves in the subject engines. Ford acknowledged that a fractured intake valve can result in catastrophic engine failure and a loss of motive power and noted that following a valve fracture, a vehicle typically requires a full engine replacement. Ford advised ODI that the defective valves were manufactured out of a specific alloy known as “Silchrome Lite”, which can become excessively hard and brittle if an over-temperature condition occurs during machining of the component. A design modification was implemented in October 2021, which changed the intake valve material to a different alloy known as “Silchrome 1”, that is less susceptible to over-temperature during machine grinding. Ford has identified that the defective intake valves commonly fail early in a vehicle’s life and has suggested that the majority of failures have already occurred.
ODI is opening an Engineering Analysis (EA) in order to 1) evaluate the scope and frequency of allegations across the expanded scope of model/model year vehicle populations equipped with the 2.7L and 3.0L EcoBoost engines, 2) coordinate with NHTSA’s Vehicle Research and Testing Center (VRTC) to evaluate field return parts, 3) analyze the effect of time-in-service on the failure rates for the affected engines, and 4) gather and review additional information to evaluate the effectiveness of Ford’s manufacturing improvements regarding the alleged defect.
To review the reports cited in the attached Opening Resume ODI Report Identification Number document, go to NHTSA.gov.

12 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKEMODELYEAR
FORDBRONCO2021-2022
FORDEDGE2021-2022
FORDEXPLORER2021-2022
FORDF-1502021-2022
LINCOLNAVIATOR2021-2022
LINCOLNNAUTILUS2021-2022
2 Associated Documents
Sponsored