First Name
Darnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This may be a dumb question but I have to ask it lol. So the mid-package includes rear camera with grilling but this pdf says the base has rear facing cam as standard. So does that mean the base would just have the rear facing no grid lines? Or is this just a goof on Fords part. It makes sense that rear facing cameras would be a standard thing it just seems weird that they would include it as a feature within the mid-package. Anyways awesome pdf OP!
Sponsored

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask it lol. So the mid-package includes rear camera with grilling but this pdf says the base has rear facing cam as standard. So does that mean the base would just have the rear facing no grid lines? Or is this just a goof on Fords part. It makes sense that rear facing cameras would be a standard thing it just seems weird that they would include it as a feature within the mid-package. Anyways awesome pdf OP!
Welcome to the Bronco6g forum @Area51 ...
no question is dumb because we’re all here as a community to share opinions with respect to others and become better informed.

In 2018, U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration passed a law requiring all new vehicle be equipped with a backup camera. The Mid Package upgrades the Rear View Camera to include Backup Assist Grid Lines. This works hand in hand with the Reverse Sensing System.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

AZ4x4

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really look at it as a choose your own adventure model. I would like a rear locker and a factory tow package. However, I can add both myself.
Definitely and probably a lot cheaper than from Ford.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Definitely and probably a lot cheaper than from Ford.
Maybe....

Well definitely on the tow package.

You can get a rear elocker on the Ranger for pretty cheap. I wish the Bronco had the FX4 package TBH. I'd spend the $1300 for a Bronco Base FX4 upgrade. You get an elocker, upgraded shocks, bash plate, AT tires, skid plates, better wheels, etc.

I really need to get into how to install a rear locker. I wonder if I could wire it to the aux panel. Honestly, bigger and better tires + a rear locker is all the capability I need.

AZ4x4

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe....

Well definitely on the tow package.

You can get a rear elocker on the Ranger for pretty cheap. I wish the Bronco had the FX4 package TBH. I'd spend the $1300 for a Bronco Base FX4 upgrade. You get an elocker, upgraded shocks, bash plate, AT tires, skid plates, better wheels, etc.

I really need to get into how to install a rear locker. I wonder if I could wire it to the aux panel. Honestly, bigger and better tires + a rear locker is all the capability I need.
Regarding using the aux panel, I would say anything is possible. It usually comes down to how much is it going to cost :).

Sponsored

Area51

Big Bend
First Name
Darnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Welcome to the Bronco6g forum @Area51 ...
no question is dumb because we’re all here as a community to share opinions with respect to others and become better informed.

In 2018, U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration passed a law requiring all new vehicle be equipped with a backup camera. The Mid Package upgrades the Rear View Camera to include Backup Assist Grid Lines. This works hand in hand with the Reverse Sensing System.

Hope this helps...
Awesome thanks brother I appreciate the response.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Looking at this, I'm seeing Badlands is effectively the only trim that doesn't have Active Grille Shutters?
First I've heard of that, can anyone shed some light?
That's the only thing I can figure, that Badlands has some other piece of tech or functionality that makes placement or integration of the active grille shutters difficult/costly/impossible. It's a shame, as running 33s or 35s definitely affects gas mileage a bit.
Active grill shutters close to make the air intake portions of the fascia more aerodynamic in situations (constant, low load highway speeds, etc) when airflow across the radiator is already sufficient. The shutters open up in situations when more cooling is required.
Why the Badlands trim wouldn’t have it is a mystery to be solved. Maybe there’s more cooling required on that trim. Maybe there’s a piece of equipment in the front of the engine bay which gets in the way of the shutters.
Regarding Active Grille Shutters, you can see there are three grill styles available on the Bronco.
1) Base and Black Diamond: 14 openings (each consist of 2 smaller ovals), only the 3 upper middle openings has the active shutter.
2) Big Bend, Outer Banks and Wildtrak: 6 large oval openings, only 1, the upper middle opening, has the active shutter.
3) Badlands and First Edition: the Classic style grill which consists of dozens of small open oval openings. Blocking just a few of the openings may not overcome the amount of airflow that can enter in the remainder of the openings. Second, since the Badlands and First Edition are the targeted models for more serious off-roading, as far as factory stock equipment goes, you want to keep the largest grill opening possible for maximum airflow at low speeds to improve cooling.

What can be seen in grill styles 1 and 2 are that they only consist of an Active Grille Shutter surface area of approximately 5% - 10% of the total grill surface area. This may equal only 1% - 2% of the total surface area of the entire front end. Since Active Grille Shutters are intended to improve aerodynamics and reduce air resistance, the benefit to a brick faced vehicle is minimal, it is hard to make a brick aerodynamic. A better term, instead of Active Grille Shutters maybe to call it Active Marketing.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Options and Equipment by Trim [Comparison Chart] Active Grille Shutters Compared

Images from - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33251176/2021-ford-bronco-trim-levels/

Here are several close-ups of the Active Shutter from some of the test rigs running around:
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Options and Equipment by Trim [Comparison Chart] 20200719_234514-jpg-

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Options and Equipment by Trim [Comparison Chart] 2021-bronco-2-door-san-diego4-

Last edited:

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regarding Active Grille Shutters, you can see there are three grill styles available on the Bronco.
1) Base and Black Diamond: 14 openings (each consist of 2 smaller ovals), only the 3 upper middle openings has the active shutter.
2) Big Bend, Outer Banks and Wildtrak: 6 large oval openings, only 1, the upper middle opening, has the active shutter.
3) Badlands and First Edition: the Classic style grill which consists of dozens of small open oval openings. Blocking just a few of the openings may not overcome the amount of airflow that can enter in the remainder of the openings. Second, since the Badlands and First Edition are the targeted models for more serious off-roading, as far as factory stock equipment goes, you want to keep the largest grill opening possible for maximum airflow at low speeds to improve cooling.

What can be seen in grill styles 1 and 2 are that they only consist of an Active Grille Shutter surface area of approximately 5% - 10% of the total grill surface area. This may equal only 1% - 2% of the total surface area of the entire front end. Since Active Grille Shutters are intended to improve aerodynamics and reduce air resistance, the benefit to a brick faced vehicle is minimal, it is hard to make a brick aerodynamic. A better term, instead of Active Grille Shutters maybe to call it Active Marketing.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Options and Equipment by Trim [Comparison Chart] 2021-bronco-2-door-san-diego4-

Images from - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33251176/2021-ford-bronco-trim-levels/
Was starting to think along those lines last night. I know that when it comes to aerodynamics, sometimes lots of small surface features can have a relatively high effect compared to a small number of large surface features. So it seems reasonable that the Badlands grill design might already have some impact on drag relative to other grills. And if not, it's certainly possible that it affects how effective the active shutters would be to the point of possibly making them irrelevant.

Was also thinking it's possible that the wiring used for the active shutters in other trims might be repurposed for the sway disconnect in the Badlands?

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Wait... I thought Badlands came with Mid Package included. Does it not???

Sponsored

OSU Sig

Outer Banks
First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The "X" means not available or standard?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Was starting to think along those lines last night. I know that when it comes to aerodynamics, sometimes lots of small surface features can have a relatively high effect compared to a small number of large surface features. So it seems reasonable that the Badlands grill design might already have some impact on drag relative to other grills. And if not, it's certainly possible that it affects how effective the active shutters would be to the point of possibly making them irrelevant.

Was also thinking it's possible that the wiring used for the active shutters in other trims might be repurposed for the sway disconnect in the Badlands?
Wiring harnesses are going to be designed with each destination and termination in mind to maximize bundle efficiently. Since the Sway Bar Disconnect and Active Shutter are 3 feet apart the wire and bundle routing would be different.

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone got the "official" Ordering Guide for the 2021 Bronco? I know there are threads with tons of hacked info regarding Trims & Options. My question arises from an alternative choice that I'm contemplating for my next rig. I may get the 2021 F-150 pickup instead. On that sister forum (F150gen14) is posted PDF of the complete ordering guide. On the first sheet is a listing of "National Discount Packages" that Ford makes available immediately for newly ordered trucks. Surprised, but they are extended discounts even on their hottest-selling vehicle. Seems reasonable to think Ford may have similar strategy for the Bronco. Would be great to find out. May influence selection of trim levels and options to reap some savings. For example, on the new F-150 just picking certain Mid & High trims alone can bring savings upwards of $1,500 like getting a new Lariat with 502A (High).

Here's that front page of the 2021 F-150 Ordering guide that I mentioned.

2021 F-150 Order Guide Discounts.PNG

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Active Grille Shutters Compared.png

Solid points, really good comparison. Thanks for all that. The grille aficionados will love this side-by-side look, and it underscores how the trim levels can share some options and, IMO, use cases.

In the past few days, I've focused on Ford's marketing keywords to reinforce whether I've make sense of it all. On the "Compare Models" slideshow, each trim model has a blurb under its photo with a bold lead-in (see quoted part of table below). Those lead-ins are very telling, IMO, and I'm sure a lot of folks have seen that as a jumping off point for figuring out what fits their needs. (First Edition sold out so they removed whatever lead-in was originally said there.) This is how I see the connections among trim models:

BASE - "The essential Bronco"
>> BIG BEND - "Mainstream off-roading"
Affordable, trail-ready basics. Fits entry-level budgets. Start with Ford's simplest
design and you do the work later if you want more.
BLACK DIAMOND - "Adventure off-roading"
>> BADLANDS - "Extreme off-roading"
For experienced, knowledgeable off-roaders. A lot of instantly practical trail tools
and already know how to use them.
OUTER BANKS - "Off-roading in style"
>> WILDTRAK - "High-speed off-roading"
Style and comfort first, off-roading second. Occasional trail riders and/or those
interested more in vehicle conveniences and tech.

I'd be disappointed if Ford chose form (grille design) over function (emissions, gas mileage) but carmakers have done far worse ;) I want to believe that, if the forward exterior shape of the new Bronco is very much consistent over all trim models, making aerodynamics similarly consistent across those models as well, removing active grille shutters from just a few trims had to come down to prioritization of those models' specific configurations, such as:
  • Keeping costs in line with corporate targets (manufacturing costs and/or MSRP)
  • Limited practical space available due to the trim's specific functionality and/or design (sway bar disconnect, etc.)
  • Limited improvement of mileage and emissions due to the trim's other functionality
  • Negative impact on other functions (road noise, etc.)
I think a lot of this is probably obvious to marketing types, but I'm a designer so not much of a sales thinker. Yet, at least for me, the table above seems to better explain some of the head-scratchers Ford has made on this vehicle. (Still trying to understand restricting the FE's interior to one style while still allowing a choice of exterior colors, including ones that don't match the interior! That one hurts my head.)
Sponsored