First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I absolutely understand the want of the manual, and that's only with the 4 cylinder. But damn that v6 is AWESOME and i would absolutely recommend it for the price if you're getting an automatic! The hp is solid, but it's the
Between my wife and I, we have had Wranglers pretty much non stop since 1997. I'm a big fan. I've never owned a Ford but always loved the look of the vintage Broncos so after the new Bronco came out I ordered one mostly because they look awesome. Much better looking than the Wrangler in my opinion. My wife just got a new Wrangler too but as a Jeep fan, consider me impressed with the Bronco. Here's my decidedly non-technical impression of the comparison of the two.

Specs:

'22 Bronco 2dr Manual Sasquatch Badlands Lux in Area 51 (2.3L)
'22 Wrangler 4 door Automatic Sahara in Gobi (2.0L 4 cyl turbo)
Basically the same price.

Much has been written about the improvement in steering over the Wrangler's solid front axle but it's like night and day. The Bronco's steering just feels more carlike but with a little more feedback and resistance. Also, you're not constantly correcting to keep on center like you do on the Wrangler. I'll likely do some light off roading but the rock crawling nuances between the two are a non factor for me.

The Bronco is just... bigger. Part of this is no doubt because of the Sasquatch package but it also seems wider and feels roomier in the front seats. I rented a Rubicon once and the ride was way too stiff and handling was just brutal. Not so with the Sasquatch.

The max spec infotainment screens are much bigger on the Bronco which makes the interior look and feel nicer. I like the rest of the interior of the Bronco better than the Wrangler with the exception of the Atari-esque speedo/tach on the Bronco.

The seats are more comfortable than the Wrangler and the vinyl wetsuit-like material is really cool. (I prefer leather but I've had varying luck with leather getting the crow's feet effect after a few years so that's initially why I picked vinyl.)

The clutch and shifting in the manual are like butter. Just perfect. I'm THAT guy - the guy that wouldn't consider buying a Jeep or Bronco for myself with an automatic, but I get that most people prefer automatics and that's okay!

The suspension and ride are firmer in the Bronco but that's not a fair comparison because our Wrangler isn't a Rubicon and the 2dr has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler, but by no means is there a big difference between the two.

I was afraid the Sasquatch might look a little monster-trucky but the 2 door looks perfectly proportioned, chunky but awesome. Not throwing shade if your personal preference is a 4 door, I get it, the 2 door is not so practical but if you loved the vintage Broncos you'll love the way the 2dr looks more in person than in pictures.

Another pleasant surprise believe it or not was the engine sound. With the manual my only choice was the 4 cyl. Two recent vehicles of mine were an SRT8 and a Hellcat so I was absolutely dreading the sound of the 4 cyl, especially since the Wrangler 2.0L turbo sounds like a whistling electric knife. The Bronco somehow sounds ok, with a tiny hint of throatiness. I wouldn't say it sounds great but it sounds better than any 4cyl I've ever heard.

I can't compare power because I'm going to be nice to the engine for the first 500 miles but the Bronco feels a little porky for the 4cyl powerplant. I'm adding the Ford Performance Calibration so I expect that will make performance on par with the Jeep and the 2.7L. I didn't buy a race car. Recommendation: save some dough and get the 4 cyl with the tune instead of the 6.

Last but not least, obviously, dealing with Ford has been a nightmare which is not the case with Jeep. My Bronco took 14 months to get. They're on day 5 of trying to pull off the tune (accidentally ordered the 2.7, reordered the 2.3, couldn't unlock it, website currently down, no ETA, blah blah blah.) They also delivered it with a dent so they had to do bodywork and repaint a door. I had it for a day and it's been back at the dealer for a week+. Not a good first impression with quality and service.

And of course my wife is a dedicated Jeep fan so she never tires of telling me what Ford stands for (Found On the Road Dead, F**cker Only Runs Downhill, etc.) But I can deal with that, knowing I have the superior ride!

BadAssLands.jpg
Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco vs. 2022 Wrangler impression after Day 1 Screenshot_20221215-094719_Messages
Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They say the Badlands was equipped to compete against the Rubicon.
Thatā€™s what I understand too. But isnā€™t Sahara is a lower model than Rubicon? Yet it cost as much as Bronco Badlands. Thatā€™s crazy!

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Go through the forum and look at all the issues people are having. They still have to work out a lot of bugs before it will be as reliable as a Jeep, at the trail or the mall.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I rented a wrangler last week. 2 biggest differences I noticed from my bronco

1) Bronco rides better
2) Jeep windshield is much easier to see out of, Iā€™m 6-0 and red light can be a challenge if Iā€™m in the first spot.
bro, I am 5'9" and have trouble seeing the light!!

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Outer Banks is the competitor to the Sahara.
Thatā€™s what I understand too. But again, what Iā€™m surprised about is that his wifeā€™s Sahara cost as much as a Badlands. Thatā€™s crazy! Iā€™ll just go on Jeep site today in order to better understand Jeepā€™s pricing.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thatā€™s what I understand too. But again, what Iā€™m surprised about is that his wifeā€™s Sahara cost as much as a Badlands. Thatā€™s crazy! Iā€™ll just go on Jeep site today in order to better understand Jeepā€™s pricing.
Gotta pay for the fancy stuff :)

When I bought 2dr Jeep back '15 I was amazed how quickly the prices escalated from a base Jeep to the upper trims.

That's something I would have rather not have Ford copy as they did.

However, I'll say that I think you get more for the money on the Bronco now. Except reliability.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
bro, I am 5'9" and have trouble seeing the light!!
I did too for 900 miles, until I figured out a couple of days ago that I could lower the driver's seat. LOL! The thing came from the factory cranked up to full height.

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Between my wife and I, we have had Wranglers pretty much non stop since 1997. I'm a big fan. I've never owned a Ford but always loved the look of the vintage Broncos so after the new Bronco came out I ordered one mostly because they look awesome. Much better looking than the Wrangler in my opinion. My wife just got a new Wrangler too but as a Jeep fan, consider me impressed with the Bronco. Here's my decidedly non-technical impression of the comparison of the two.

Specs:

Much has been written about the improvement in steering over the Wrangler's solid front axle but it's like night and day. The Bronco's steering just feels more carlike but with a little more feedback and resistance. Also, you're not constantly correcting to keep on center like you do on the Wrangler. I'll likely do some light off roading but the rock crawling nuances between the two are a non factor for me.

The Bronco is just... bigger. Part of this is no doubt because of the Sasquatch package but it also seems wider and feels roomier in the front seats. I rented a Rubicon once and the ride was way too stiff and handling was just brutal. Not so with the Sasquatch.

The max spec infotainment screens are much bigger on the Bronco which makes the interior look and feel nicer. I like the rest of the interior of the Bronco better than the Wrangler with the exception of the Atari-esque speedo/tach on the Bronco.

The seats are more comfortable than the Wrangler and the vinyl wetsuit-like material is really cool. (I prefer leather but I've had varying luck with leather getting the crow's feet effect after a few years so that's initially why I picked vinyl.)

The clutch and shifting in the manual are like butter. Just perfect. I'm THAT guy - the guy that wouldn't consider buying a Jeep or Bronco for myself with an automatic, but I get that most people prefer automatics and that's okay!

The suspension and ride are firmer in the Bronco but that's not a fair comparison because our Wrangler isn't a Rubicon and the 2dr has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler, but by no means is there a big difference between the two.

I was afraid the Sasquatch might look a little monster-trucky but the 2 door looks perfectly proportioned, chunky but awesome. Not throwing shade if your personal preference is a 4 door, I get it, the 2 door is not so practical but if you loved the vintage Broncos you'll love the way the 2dr looks more in person than in pictures.

Another pleasant surprise believe it or not was the engine sound. With the manual my only choice was the 4 cyl. Two recent vehicles of mine were an SRT8 and a Hellcat so I was absolutely dreading the sound of the 4 cyl, especially since the Wrangler 2.0L turbo sounds like a whistling electric knife. The Bronco somehow sounds ok, with a tiny hint of throatiness. I wouldn't say it sounds great but it sounds better than any 4cyl I've ever heard.

I can't compare power because I'm going to be nice to the engine for the first 500 miles but the Bronco feels a little porky for the 4cyl powerplant. I'm adding the Ford Performance Calibration so I expect that will make performance on par with the Jeep and the 2.7L. I didn't buy a race car. Recommendation: save some dough and get the 4 cyl with the tune instead of the 6.

Last but not least, obviously, dealing with Ford has been a nightmare which is not the case with Jeep. My Bronco took 14 months to get. They're on day 5 of trying to pull off the tune (accidentally ordered the 2.7, reordered the 2.3, couldn't unlock it, website currently down, no ETA, blah blah blah.) They also delivered it with a dent so they had to do bodywork and repaint a door. I had it for a day and it's been back at the dealer for a week+. Not a good first impression with quality and service.

And of course my wife is a dedicated Jeep fan so she never tires of telling me what Ford stands for (Found On the Road Dead, F**cker Only Runs Downhill, etc.) But I can deal with that, knowing I have the superior ride!

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco vs. 2022 Wrangler impression after Day 1 Screenshot_20221215-094719_Messages
Well, I agree with you on the Bronco stuff, I have been a Ford fan forever, but the Bronco ease of operation on road and off road toughness so far, I like. My brother in law has a Jeep Rubicon and they have toasted the clutch, no doubt, not great manual drivers but also the operation of the Bronco clutch in butter smooth and light, very easy, even on the trails to work with. Yes like you, had they not offered a manual, there's no way I would own one at this time. I bought a Badlands and then Sasquatched it. Love the manual, the 2 door and the Badlands, and also agree, tune the 2.3L and keep the manual. With a Cold Ait Intake and Flowmasters, mine is quite fast and quick enough..

unnamed (35).jpg

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Specs:

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco vs. 2022 Wrangler impression after Day 1 unnamed (35)
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it rides smoother on the highway. My wife has a bad back and she doesn't like riding in her 09 JK Sahara Unlimited any more.

Sponsored

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice looking ride. I'm in the same boat with my wife having a 21 Sahara and me a 22 2 door Bronco. The steering and ride in the Bronco are just so much better in my opinion.
The steering in any mode is awesome....... the ride is rough but is what one might expect. Its a solid ride.... no bounce or feeling you are going to lose it. LOV LOVE LOVE !!!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Go through the forum and look at all the issues people are having. They still have to work out a lot of bugs before it will be as reliable as a Jeep, at the trail or the mall.
šŸ˜‚

I have 53k miles on mine, the number of "bugs" I have had to "work out" have been limited to getting sync 4 updates for the most part and I didn't even go to the dealer for that.

It has probably been one of the most trouble free vehicles that I have ever owned. Only needed gas, oil changes, and filter changes in 53k miles.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I orderd my BadSquatch 2door lux cg..weighted almost 2yrs..built 9/24/22
Dilliverd 9/29 to Mentor ohio..I brought Squatch home 9/30šŸ¤˜
Congrats! Glad to see another Bronco delivered!

RichWpg

Wildtrak
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2d Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Surprised you didnā€™t mention the audio quality between the two. I honestly canā€™t believe B&O would put their logo on something which sounds so truly pathetic. Iā€™ve ridden in 10 cent Hyundai rental cars with better audio than my $60k+ Lux Bronco.

Alpineā€™s setup in the Wrangler is amazing for an OEM. Punchy base, clarity on the mids and highs ā€” the way itā€™s supposed to be.

Other than thatā€¦. I love it. But audio is getting upgraded as soon as I find a good option which preserves all functionality of the car, and doesnā€™t require drilling holes all over.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice review but one thing I see mentioned is ā€œlike butterā€ on a lot of reviews with the MT.
While I agree with this statement on the clutch operation itā€™s self, I find the shifting of the stick quite clunky going in gears.
Sponsored