Sponsored

3.73 Gear Ratio for mostly daily driving & uphill driveway snow ice a couple days a year?

Grandpasride

Outer Banks
First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We ordered outer banks. Not going off road. But need the 4x4 for uphill driveway snow ice a couple days year. Mostly daily driver. Changed order from the high ratio locking diff off road ratio to the 3.73 for travel.
anybody else? What are opinions? Resale yes, off-roading yes, i’m 73.
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Truly Negligible. The 10AT will keep you where you wanna be with RPMs. Use your GOAT modes and you’ll be happy.

But

Im assuming you’ll be swapping rubber because the OBX All seasons won’t get you up an icy driveway… going to a heavier(taller) AT tire is where the gearing would help. Same with a Rear Locker.

Personally, I’d opt for the gearing and rear locker. Better to add it now while it’s “cheap” vs not having it when you need it. The rear locker on icy inclines will far benefit you compared to the open diff, that right there is worth the cost.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Definitely get the 4.27 with the locker. The 10 spd has three overdrive gears so over reving on highway will not be an issue, You'll run about 2000 rpm at highway speeds. Having a little lower ratio will prevent some 'gear hunting' and unneeded turbo boostr and may actually get better mileage. Not to mention the wonderfulness of having a locking axle if it's ever needed.

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly I get better MPG in sport mode at highway speeds locked into 8th gear. The 3.73 makes rpms too low and boost numbers too high to maintain highway speeds to maximize mpg. Drivability is fine though, the bronco has plenty of pep. I would 100% swing for the locked rear and upgrade gear ratio.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Definitely get the 4.27 with the locker. The 10 spd has three overdrive gears so over reving on highway will not be an issue, You'll run about 2000 rpm at highway speeds. Having a little lower ratio will prevent some 'gear hunting' and unneeded turbo boostr and may actually get better mileage. Not to mention the wonderfulness of having a locking axle if it's ever needed.
Agreed its just an absolute no brainer to get the higher gears with the locker.

Allows you to go to 33s without issue should you desire, and the get out of jail free card that is the locker is really nice.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agreed its just an absolute no brainer to get the higher gears with the locker.

Allows you to go to 33s without issue should you desire, and the get out of jail free card that is the locker is really nice.
Yep, It's really not applicable to the OP since he says he's not interested in off roading, but, as much as these Broncos like to go on three wheels in ruts or rocks the locker is really needed. I toyed briefly with the idea of a $30K Base at order time since I've wheeled hard with other unlocked 4x4's, sure am glad I ponied up for the upgrade. And the 4.27 is very versatile as far as tire size and driving condition variability.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

4.27’s w/rear locker. Beyond a no-brainer.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep, It's really not applicable to the OP since he says he's not interested in off roading, but, as much as these Broncos like to go on three wheels in ruts or rocks the locker is really needed. I toyed briefly with the idea of a $30K Base at order time since I've wheeled hard with other unlocked 4x4's, sure am glad I ponied up for the upgrade. And the 4.27 is very versatile as far as tire size and driving condition variability.
There is a very good reason you couldn't get only the rear locker on the base, because they would have sold a TON of them and would have essentially killed the black diamond and big bend.

I have a BD and this is my first rear locker but its nice having it in case, I was always okay with my previous two Xterras but I don't too anything too hardcore anyways, but always nice to have more than you need.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the OPs described use the 3.73 gears will be fine. The locker would be nice but IMO not on ice...both wheels spinning on ice contribute to sliding sidways, ass-end kicking out.

OP
OP
Grandpasride

Grandpasride

Outer Banks
First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Truly Negligible. The 10AT will keep you where you wanna be with RPMs. Use your GOAT modes and you’ll be happy.

But

Im assuming you’ll be swapping rubber because the OBX All seasons won’t get you up an icy driveway… going to a heavier(taller) AT tire is where the gearing would help. Same with a Rear Locker.

Personally, I’d opt for the gearing and rear locker. Better to add it now while it’s “cheap” vs not having it when you need it. The rear locker on icy inclines will far benefit you compared to the open diff, that right there is worth the cost.
Great answers. We have delivery maybe July. Dealer says we can go back to the locking diff 427 ratio

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We ordered outer banks. Not going off road. But need the 4x4 for uphill driveway snow ice a couple days year. Mostly daily driver. Changed order from the high ratio locking diff off road ratio to the 3.73 for travel.
SNOW ESSENTIALS
TIRES: If I still lived in the Adirondacks or Vermont, as I did for 2 decades, the most essential upgrades in snow and ice are tires and an advanced AWD system. I had dedicated ice compound snow tires on dedicated rims, like the Blizzak or the Xice. Before those tires were available, I used studded snows. Both were phenomenal. On at Thanksgiving, off by Easter.
Lockers: my current rear Locker is incredible on the beach, and probably in deep snow, but on a curved driveway could spin you out. I have no experience with snow & lockers, this is my first car with a rear locker. Carefully used, the rear locker is incredible, and adds to the value.

ADVANCED Transfer Case gives you an effective AWD system. My wife's Subaru was always better on snow and Ice than any of my basic 4wd vehicles, except in deep, unplowed snow. I have Adv. Trans Case on my 2021 OBX. Its quite incredible, excellent for slippery roads. I leave it on much of the time, no effect on MPG. However, with current model years, you have to order Sasquatch to get the Adv. Transfer Case. Maybe you should?

MPG: I have a 2021 with 48,000 miles. 4.27 axle with rear locker and Adv. Transfer case. For the first 25,000 miles, got 20mpg overall with OEM tires. For the next 23,000 miles, got 18mpg overall with 33" Nitto Nomad Grappler tires on 8x17 Badlands take-offs wheels.
OVERALL, as you've read, those of us with the rear lockers love them and highly recommend them as a valuable and versatile vehicle upgrade. Adds value and capability in case you do decide to off road. The 4.27 axle gears make tire upsizing better for you or a future owner. However, for your snow driveway, the locker may be a mixed blessing. Ice/Snow tires, especially with the base 4wd? Essential. AWD? Priceless!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the OPs described use the 3.73 gears will be fine. The locker would be nice but IMO not on ice...both wheels spinning on ice contribute to sliding sidways, ass-end kicking out.
Yes. OP, the rear locker will be useless for you (as it probably is for most people). And you're not going to want to engage it on ice and go sideways.

Maybe a case could be made for the deeper gearing, think about if you might want larger diameter tires at some point.

Also someone mentioned the full-time tcase. For pavement drivers who want to kind of set it and forget it, that can be a nice feature to consider. But it's only on some packages.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The fuel savings will be negligible and if you are ever going to want bigger tires the 4.27 gears are going to handle that a lot better. Even then, worth having the locker for resale alone. Not sure what price is now but if it’s still around a $500 option definitely get it.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you'll be fine with that. might actually get a little better mileage. age tends to be factor on how you use vehicles. I'm 70. resale? I doubt it to be a resale issue. Does anyone ever look at or consider gear ratio to be a deal breaker on a used vehicle?
Sponsored