First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“ I think the additional 1.2” of width is harder for the engine to push than another inch in height.”

What would make you think that is a true statement?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“ I think the additional 1.2” of width is harder for the engine to push than another inch in height.”

What would make you think that is a true statement?
People here have reported the Badlands manual with the 4.70 gears to be very low geared, and they are using the 4.70 gears on the mansquatch with 315/70 tires. I think the badlands is geared for the taller tires, Ford agrees.

Wider tires are usually heavier, so require more power to turn than narrower tires that should be lighter all things being equal. The wider tread has more wind resistance and a wider tread surface rolling over the asphalt causing it to take more power and fuel to push.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=175

In mountain biking it’s generally understood that wider tires roll easier at the same pressure because the surface area of the contact patch is the same on a skinny tire vs a wide tire but the wide tire deflects less and has a shorter contact patch, but there is much more to it at highway speeds.

Last edited:

WARPIG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 17 F350, 05 Jeep LJ, 06 Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone received their Non-Sasquatch Badlands and installed 35s on it successfully with no lift? I'm curious if the <1" lift that the Sasquatch package has over the standard Badlands actually makes a difference or not when it comes to rubbing.

I opted for the Manual Transmission and I'm having a hard time paying $4k for the Sasquatch package, when it's mostly just different wheels, larger tires, a small lift and larger flares. After reading about how much people dislike the Goodyear tires, I am starting to think it would be a better idea to get a non-sasquatch and get my own wheels & tires after delivery, but I would prefer not to have to install an aftermarket lift. It seems like a waste of money to order the Sasquatch package and have to buy different tires upon delivery to avoid the Goodyears throwing rocks all over the side of my brand new vehicle.

Apologies if this has been asked in another thread recently. I looked around and most threads on this subject were created before people actually got their Broncos. This thread is more of intended for people that have actually done this to their own Bronco.

35s with a 2 inch Zone lift. No clearance issues, once I removed the crash bars,
20211113_124122.jpg

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People here have reported the Badlands manual with the 4.70 gears to be very low geared, and they are using the 4.70 gears on the mansquatch with 315/70 tires. I think the badlands is geared for the taller tires, Ford agrees.

Wider tires are usually heavier, so require more power to turn than narrower tires that should be lighter all things being equal.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=175
But I think your forgetting that the stock KO2’s are only 1 pound lighter that the 315 MT’s and they are 1.6 inches shorter. If you want taller tires the MT’s are a great choice. If you choose to go the 285/75/17 route, they are about an 1/2 inch shorter than the MT’s and are going to be 10 to 15 pounds heavier.
Get the Sas flairs with the MT’s and you have the taller effective gear ratio along with the lightest 315/70/17 tire on the planet.
The Broncos I have seen in person look rad with the Sas treatment compared the narrow stance IMO. They also drive very well.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But I think your forgetting that the stock KO2’s are only 1 pound lighter that the 315 MT’s and they are 1.6 inches shorter. If you want taller tires the MT’s are a great choice. If you choose to go the 285/75/17 route, they are about an 1/2 inch shorter than the MT’s and are going to be 10 to 15 pounds heavier.
Get the Sas flairs with the MT’s and you have the taller effective gear ratio along with the lightest 315/70/17 tire on the planet.
The Broncos I have seen in person look rad with the Sas treatment compared the narrow stance IMO. They also drive very well.
I have noted the tire weight on the 285/75 as a negative, lighter is better. I’m taking that into consideration when it comes to wheel weights. Right now I’m looking at the Icon Compression in 17x8.5 +25mm (28 pounds) and the Method 307 in 17x8”5 +35mm (28.7 pounds). I’m not sure how much the stock badlands wheels weigh.

If I were going 315/70 I’d prefer the Raptor BFG’s rather than the Goodyear muds, but the weight is 62 pounds instead of 52 pounds which is kind of a deal breaker. Finding a nice set or takeoff Goodyears for a reasonable price would also change the calculus.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have noted the tire weight on the 285/75 as a negative, lighter is better. I’m taking that into consideration when it comes to wheel weights. Right now I’m looking at the Icon Compression in 17x8.5 +25mm (28 pounds) and the Method 307 in 17x8”5 +35mm (28.7 pounds). I’m not sure how much the stock badlands wheels weigh.

If I were going 315/70 I’d prefer the Raptor BFG’s rather than the Goodyear muds, but the weight is 62 pounds instead of 52 pounds which is kind of a deal breaker. Finding a nice set or takeoff Goodyears for a reasonable price would also change the calculus.
Yah I think you have some good ideas with the lighter wheels. They would help offset a heavier tire but the tire is still the most important factor in the rotational mass formula being further from the axle center. I think the Sas wheels are about 36-37 pounds. I bet the standard wheel is about 30 pounds??

Best IMO would be 315 MT’s on some light wheels.
All at a price. Good luck

Last edited:

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Sasquatch package *absolutely* makes sense only if you want the automatic transmission. It's a huge waste of money on the manual and Ford knows that either people won't realize it or they'll just default to the auto if they do. I would bet the take rate of manual transmissions will decline in 2022 and beyond, and Ford will scrap it sooner rather than later.
Bull shĂ—t

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone received their Non-Sasquatch Badlands and installed 35s on it successfully with no lift? I'm curious if the <1" lift that the Sasquatch package has over the standard Badlands actually makes a difference or not when it comes to rubbing.

I opted for the Manual Transmission and I'm having a hard time paying $4k for the Sasquatch package, when it's mostly just different wheels, larger tires, a small lift and larger flares. After reading about how much people dislike the Goodyear tires, I am starting to think it would be a better idea to get a non-sasquatch and get my own wheels & tires after delivery, but I would prefer not to have to install an aftermarket lift. It seems like a waste of money to order the Sasquatch package and have to buy different tires upon delivery to avoid the Goodyears throwing rocks all over the side of my brand new vehicle.
ive been doing this same research, manual badlands has all same gearing and axels as SAS. the issue with 35 is first the SAS does have a travel bump stop limiting the travel so the 35 wont hit inside well, thats why folks mention that the standard badlands actually has the most "capable" suspension. So, your final question as is mine would be .....will the small 1 inch level kit allow 35 to fit since you wont have any bump stop in the suspension????
OP, You have to be careful with throwing around the phrase "35's". The Sasquatch 315/70-17 is a 34 inch tire (34.4"), if you get a true 35" tire on there, you are getting at least a half-inch in extra tire height and the BL has less clearance, those added up together will get you in trouble if you actually use the articulation those fancy suspension bits allow.

Just a suggesting that you are exact with what tire size you are looking at and get it clarified for any answers you receive so you don't get misled with the marketing hype on the real size of tires. While some people insist that 315/70-17's are 35 inch tires, they just say it because they think it sounds better, a lot more people just go with it as most other people believe it, but there are real 35's out there and if you pick one, just be aware it is actually taller (and probably wider in most cases)

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP, You have to be careful with throwing around the phrase "35's". The Sasquatch 315/70-17 is a 34 inch tire (34.4"), if you get a true 35" tire on there, you are getting at least a half-inch in extra tire height and the BL has less clearance, those added up together will get you in trouble if you actually use the articulation those fancy suspension bits allow.

Just a suggesting that you are exact with what tire size you are looking at and get it clarified for any answers you receive so you don't get misled with the marketing hype on the real size of tires. While some people insist that 315/70-17's are 35 inch tires, they just say it because they think it sounds better, a lot more people just go with it as most other people believe it, but there are real 35's out there and if you pick one, just be aware it is actually taller (and probably wider in most cases)
yea i see this, i didnt really factor it in but youre right 1/2 inch bigger will be another difference to adjust for, still wondering if a non squatch Badlands will fit 315-70-17, OR another slightly larger "35" 12.5 on it with just a level kit or will we need to somehow add that bump stop limiter, if thats even possible??

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I agree with what you are saying, in about 2013 I replaced the 34.4” 315/70R17 BFG AT on my 87 Bronco with 34.8” 35x12.5R17 Goodyear MT/R. At full compression (16” travel coilover setup) the larger MT/R tires impacted the rear edge of the fender just enough to take the paint off, so I had to thread out the heims on the radius arms 1.5 turns to get clearance. The new Bronco probably won’t be as adjustable.

Most of the 35x12.5R17 tires listed on tire rack show 34.8” tall vs 34.4” for 315’s, as well as some that are 34.5” like the BFG AT. There are a couple that show 35”, but without a decimal point it makes me think they are estimated. The fake measuring has been going on for decades.
Ford Bronco 35s on Non-Sasquatch Badlands CB5145D6-67E0-4AEF-87F8-6303ECEBFE0D

Ford Bronco 35s on Non-Sasquatch Badlands 11B4B43B-1375-4020-A131-3AC902AA967A

My 87
Ford Bronco 35s on Non-Sasquatch Badlands 8184A264-36F7-4B80-8FEE-70300EF220DE

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500