First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got reservation for a 4-door BL. I also have a family of 5, and a dog. When we head out to the wilderness, room is tight in the Runner. Load that thing up with gear and the critter and soon enough, we are over flowing and taking the wife's Subaru Ascent as well. Keep in mind the other four members of my family are females. That might help explain my situation.

Ideally I'd buy the Bronco and it fits my family, my dog and a few days worth of gear for heading into the back country. I don't think that is feasible, or realistic from everything I'm seeing with the Bronco. Interior cargo dimensions appear to be smaller than my 4Runner's, so I'd be taking a step backwards in that regard.

"What about buying a roof rack?" you might ask. Well I was planning on putting a RTT on my next vehicle, so there won't be room for gear and a RTT. Not sure I want to load and unload a RTT each time I want to use the roof rack for hauling gear either. Buy a trailer? Possibly an option, but that 3500lbs tow capacity is a joke, and I don't know I want two trailers - one for my Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a camping trailer/gear hauler? The Bronco can't tow a big enough toy hauler/camper.

So what do you all think?

1. Ditch the reservation and wait for the new Raptor or all new 2022 Tundra?
2. Buy the Bronco and learn new methods to control my inevitable rage when I can't fit all my crap in it for a weekend in the woods?
3. Buy a Ranger and hate myself every time I look in the mirror?
4. Sell all my belongings and live like a Sasquatch alone in the forest?
I've got two young girls and no dog and the Bronco should be just perfect for us. We could occasionally cram the grandparents in if need be. With three kids and no dog, I might consider the Bronco. When a dog is involved, I can't see living with a vehicle this size. At the end of the day, the intended use is why you're buying a car, the coolness/fun factor has to be secondary in importance.
Get a vehicle that fits the family! Your back country experiences with the girls should be awesome and memorable, not frustrating and annoying trying to cram too much in a small space.
Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking into options for an "adventure trailer" or an off-road teardrop camper because a RTT on a lifted vehicle just seems like a PITA, as much as it would be "cool."
I recently found this teardrop brand made in Iceland called Mink. While it's not really an off-road rig I thought the panoramic roof would be epic with stars.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Need the lifted station wagon it sounds like...

317492AA-309B-4AB5-8096-6087D2482138_1_201_a.jpeg

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got two young girls and no dog and the Bronco should be just perfect for us. We could occasionally cram the grandparents in if need be. With three kids and no dog, I might consider the Bronco. When a dog is involved, I can't see living with a vehicle this size. At the end of the day, the intended use is why you're buying a car, the coolness/fun factor has to be secondary in importance.
Get a vehicle that fits the family! Your back country experiences with the girls should be awesome and memorable, not frustrating and annoying trying to cram too much in a small space.
Agreed. ??

Habi001

Base
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruze hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only thing you need is the bronco nothing else. Drink rain water and eat tree bark. Become one with nature.

Sponsored

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am not sure why folks are surprised. Its VERY comparable to a Wrangler...maybe a tad larger by a few inches on 4 door. Off road vehicles can not be large as they would get stuck on tight trails. Probably not an ideal large family vehicle for long trips, but should be fine for around town driving and weekend "get aways".

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not sure why folks are surprised. Its VERY comparable to a Wrangler...maybe a tad larger by a few inches on 4 door. Off road vehicles can not be large as they would get stuck on tight trails. Probably not an ideal large family vehicle for long trips, but should be fine for around town driving and weekend "get aways".
I’m not surprised at all. Just wish it worked out better for a family of 5.

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m not surprised at all. Just wish it worked out better for a family of 5.
Well if you are passionate about it...you will make it work. :) Dont let the debbie downers get you down.

Long distance trips...rent a mini van or a larger SUV. Also consider getting the roof rack for more storage. Put the doggo in the back. Luggage on the top. Should be good to go. I've been thinking about it, but I am not sure how the hard top comes off with the roof rack on.

I'm in the same boat, but I am single dad. 3 kids and a doggo. lol We'll make it work.

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well if you are passionate about it...you will make it work. :) Dont let the debbie downers get you down.

Long distance trips...rent a mini van or a larger SUV. Also consider getting the roof rack for more storage. Put the doggo in the back. Luggage on the top. Should be good to go. I've been thinking about it, but I am not sure how the hard top comes off with the roof rack on.

I'm in the same boat, but I am single dad. 3 kids and a doggo. lol We'll make it work.
More power to you my man.

More I think about it, the lower my passion becomes. Bums me out. Just hard to swallow a near $60k compromise.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s rare to see one with ATs, let alone upgraded suspension.
I love mine. Going to sell it for part of the down payment for my WT.
It does well with reasonable offroad stuff. Getting it high-centered on the crossmember has happened, as well as a limited articulation (getting one wheel up in the air seriously limits you).
For snow, mud, light trail riding, can do it with 8 passengers plus gear.

expy.jpg

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recently found this teardrop brand made in Iceland called Mink. While it's not really an off-road rig I thought the panoramic roof would be epic with stars.

What's one of these go for?

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's one of these go for?
Looks like you have to make a sales inquiry for a pre-order to find out. Very cool little trailer though.
I love mine. Going to sell it for part of the down payment for my WT.
It does well with reasonable offroad stuff. Getting it high-centered on the crossmember has happened, as well as a limited articulation (getting one wheel up in the air seriously limits you).
For snow, mud, light trail riding, can do it with 8 passengers plus gear.

Ford Bronco 4-Door Too Small? expy
Nice. Those just weren’t in my radar as an option for off reading. I’ll have to check them out.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took my Raptor in some pretty gnarly spots in the 7 years I had mine. It's just big! I don't know how many times I heard our my Raptor buddies say the Jeeps were overrated. It's just because these Raptors are just so capable, especially if its size doesn't get in the way. I got rid of mine just because it was time to slow down a little. I got my fix of 7 years of flying through the desert and it was a blast. Now time to slow down again. Not totally though!

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took my Raptor in some pretty gnarly spots in the 7 years I had mine. It's just big! I don't know how many times I heard our my Raptor buddies say the Jeeps were overrated. It's just because these Raptors are just so capable, especially if its size doesn't get in the way. I got rid of mine just because it was time to slow down a little. I got my fix of 7 years of flying through the desert and it was a blast. Now time to slow down again. Not totally though!
The Raptor always felt like it would be overkill so I never gave it a serious look. Guess that’s changed now. I wouldn’t be bombing through the desert in mine. Well, maybe I would but my wife would kill me if she’s along for the ride.

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Jeep Wagoneer is apparently just a concept for now. Looks like a flattened Suburban to me. Not my jam.
Sponsored