First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got a Roofnest Condor XL! I love the way it fits on top and it folds out to a King size.

To be able to take the roof panels off with the roof top tent on I got 30mm M8 bolts - no problem after that just as before! Also, here are some pics with the front 3 roof panels off for proof.

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_0538.JPG

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review 70235990326__82A93498-5444-4CB2-8430-6D53B64261AC.JPG
Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_0588.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also want to note that it feels extremely stable up there in the tent! Excited to go out on some adventures this summer!

Newbrunny

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good and very reasonable price. However does not seem to ship to Canada. Will reach out to them.

thd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1/LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the load capacity of the Hooke Road roof rack? I thought I read 800lbs static load but don't see any numbers on their website. Also, is there a warranty of any kind? I don't expect a lifetime warranty but 1-3 years would be sufficient for the price.

edit...found 800lb rating on the website.

Last edited:

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reviews on the Hooke site mention really bad wind noise. Has anyone experienced that and how did you mitigate it?

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reviews on the Hooke site mention really bad wind noise. Has anyone experienced that and how did you mitigate it?
The addition of rubber weather stripping made a HUGE difference.

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review 1684122263893

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I did the Hooke Road half rack
... The way they pack it - there is not enough surrounding padding especially on the ends - makes it easy for the corners to poke through the box in shipping. This is what happened on mine, and fortunately only one small washer went missing. The was also some paint scuffed of the edge of the two frames that poked through the box - easily touched up with spray paint.

Overall the construction is really nice. Assembly was really easy. It helps to have two people to put it on top, and I put towels on the top for that process and then pulled them out to seat the rack.

I haven’t used it to haul yet. It makes no noticeable noise, even with the panels off the MIC. To remove the mid roof panel you have to release all the dogs holding the roof on, and then lift the panel enough to close the clamp on either side and then slide the panel forward about six inches to get it out from under the rack. Really no problem at all.

I will say I had the cage type rack on my Jeep and it was very utilitarian, but also noisy and cumbersome as far as removing roof panels. So the rack spent most of the time on my garage ceiling. Putting it on and taking it off was a production for say a plywood run or a weekend trip to the beach. Doing so put the most scratches on my JKUR.

As such I was looking for a half rack I could leave on full time that doesn’t make noise, and I could get the room panels off easily. It is steel, not aluminum, thus a little heavier. It also is not expandable to the full length rack at a later time. The side plates for the full and the half are different (unlike some other designs).

If your use case includes full length expandability for a future roof top tent, I would look for an aluminum variant that allows running half rack then bolting on the full rack when needed (aluminum keeping the rack weight down to be able to carry a heavier tent and also to make removing the rack easier).

If your use case is to carry a tent and some gear, maybe traction boards, a high lift jack, shovel, ax etc. and still take the roof panels off, then this one is a nicely built and looking affordable option.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got a Roofnest Condor XL! I love the way it fits on top and it folds out to a King size.

To be able to take the roof panels off with the roof top tent on I got 30mm M8 bolts - no problem after that just as before! Also, here are some pics with the front 3 roof panels off for proof.

What size (WxL) is that tent?

It definitely overhands the rack. I assume something like this would also fit.

https://badasstents.com/product/packout-molle-tent-pmt-rooftop-tent-high-capacity/

Sponsored
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

doyouglas

Black Diamond
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah it's larger than a King-sized bed when it's open. According to their site, it's 74"x55"x13" closed.

93" x 74" when opened.
How many people are you going to sleep on the tent? I believe that tent can sleep 4 full size adult. It's a pretty heavy tent at approxiately 160 lbs. Assuming all adults are 150lbs each. That's close to 800lb weight limit.

But I wonder if you fold out the tent with the ladder, does it off load some of the tent weight off the rack? This is the stuff I'm wondering about when running roof top tents. I want to run something similar.

Sick setup by the way.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How many people are you going to sleep on the tent? I believe that tent can sleep 4 full size adult. It's a pretty heavy tent at approxiately 160 lbs. Assuming all adults are 150lbs each. That's close to 800lb weight limit.

But I wonder if you fold out the tent with the ladder, does it off load some of the tent weight off the rack? This is the stuff I'm wondering about when running roof top tents. I want to run something similar.

Sick setup by the way.
I don’t think anyone actually crams 4 people in there. More like two with room to “wrestle”. :oops: :p