First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know what eye bolts fit in the T slots? I just installed my rack and I’m impressed for the price. I cant see how a rack costing 3 X more will function much better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone know what eye bolts fit in the T slots? I just installed my rack and I’m impressed for the price. I cant see how a rack costing 3 X more will function much better.

It should just be M8 cap bolts. They go into the wider end of the slot and then slide down with threads up for any custom mounting!

Stinger06

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It should just be M8 cap bolts. They go into the wider end of the slot and then slide down with threads up for any custom mounting!
Thanks. I’ve also found some stuff on Amazon that works too. I will post it after I get a chance to fully test it on my upcoming overlanding trip. That would be camping in Wisconsin lol.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks. I’ve also found some stuff on Amazon that works too. I will post it after I get a chance to fully test it on my upcoming overlanding trip. That would be camping in Wisconsin lol.
Keep me posted with what you build! Would love to see it

Stinger06

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep me posted with what you build! Would love to see it
Practice run for camping and adventures in Northern WI and the U.P. The Roller Cam overland set arrived. M6 and M8 rings from Amazon. Black rings from Front Runner. TSlot protection from Amazon. Camper weather stripping and metal edge protection from Amazon. Local hardware store provided the nylon washers, and 16mm M6 and M8 stainless steel bolts. Kayak strap T slot was from Amazon too. I ordered some straight 6ft roller cam straps to secure my box against the rail of the rack so it doesn’t shift left to right. 70-80mph testing revealed an acceptable amount of wind noise and resistance. No whistle or other annoying noises.

IMG_2927.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2933.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg

IMG_2934.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Practice run for camping and adventures in Northern WI and the U.P. The Roller Cam overland set arrived. M6 and M8 rings from Amazon. Black rings from Front Runner. TSlot protection from Amazon. Camper weather stripping and metal edge protection from Amazon. Local hardware store provided the nylon washers, and 16mm M6 and M8 stainless steel bolts. Kayak strap T slot was from Amazon too. I ordered some straight 6ft roller cam straps to secure my box against the rail of the rack so it doesn’t shift left to right. 70-80mph testing revealed an acceptable amount of wind noise and resistance. No whistle or other annoying noises.

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_2934

Nice! I really like the storage box up there. That's something similar to what I was envisioning for in front of my RTT.

Stinger06

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_2928

OVS 117qt box. The strap handles come off and allow the box to get strapped down without interfering with opening the box. Will use a straight end roller cam strap to prevent box from shifting L to R. 6 foot straps in pics above were loop end. I want to go around the rack rail.

deejay08

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey everyone! Posted in my build thread, but figured this would be valuable to post in its own thread, too. I did a ton of looking around for roof racks and started with the DV8 rack, but the roof panels were not able to come off. Something else I didn't love was that it was more of a basket style. I'm planning on adding a rooftop tent so I'd love for the cross bars to be top-mounted.

The Hooke Road rack comes in at $475 with code "DOTY" at checkout. Disclaimer: I am a part of their affiliate program, so your purchase doesn't cost you anything, but it does help me out when you use my code, plus you get to save 5% on their site.

Ordered here: https://www.hookeroad.com/?ref=doty-bronco

Ordering experience - Easy peasy. This was a classic Shopify eCommerce checkout process. All is good here.

Shipping time - 5 days from the order being placed to delivery at my house in Sacramento, CA

Packaging - Very nice thick plastic and everything is nice and tight. No shipping damage. The hardware bag had a small hole but nothing came out.

Powder coating - Rough textured powder coating seems to be well covered on all of the edges and looks right at home on top of the bronco.

Branding - This is pretty minimal. There's a Ford-style oval logo on the front wind fairing and what looks like a CNC laser cut out on the rear fairing. You could easily wrap over the front Ford-style oval logo. Doesn't really bother me, though.

Installation - EASY EASY EASY. Take your time and you can accomplish everything with 4 tools. You'll need a 3, 4, and 5mm Allen wrenches and a 10mm to mount around the windshield. I LOVE how the extruded aluminum cross bars are already threaded. This is so much better than the DV8 where you had to have a wrench on both sides.

Styling - I really like how slim it sits to the roof line and the rear side pieces curve around the hatch. It really gives it a premium look and feel. From the rear, this gives it the illusion it's actually sitting lower than it is. The extruded aluminum cross bars look great and all fit together well. There was one with threads that wouldn't get fully tightened so I reached out to Hooke Road and they're going to be working on a replacement for me. Easy swap with an Allen key. No biggy there - they're making it right, what more could you ask for?

Overall, this seems like an amazing buy for <$500 and still being able to remove your roof panels. The steel is thicker than my DV8 rack and I fully trust this thing with my future roof top tent. I'll be putting this thing through its paces this summer up around the Sierras and Lake Tahoe so I'll keep everyone updated. Let me know if you have any questions about it. You can check out my install video on my YouTube channel below.

I ordered the soft top version but they sent it without instructions. Does anyone have them? I'm so annoyed that they are not in the packaging and they are not posted on their website. WTAF.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update: The code to save some $$ is now "DOTY5"! They had to update it in their system. Also, if you're on the fence about this roof rack/other accessories from them, the code "DOTY5" can be stacked WITH the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.
https://www.hookeroad.com/collections/promo

Bowzer6G

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About to get this ordered and modified reduce wind noise.

What seal did you use for the front fairing gap?

Sponsored

Bowzer6G

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you read through the whole post?
I see the Amazon one, is there an assumption everyone has purchased the exact same product from Amazon?

I responded to another Hooke road rack post asking if anyone has tried another seal.

I found a similar seal on McMaster Carr. Thinking about trying it out. It’s ~1/8” shorter closer to 2.5” vs. 2.6”.

Water- and Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal, with Rubber Wiper, for 0.141" Thick Edge

https://www.mcmaster.com/12335A92
Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_2111

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just installed the JCR Roof Support!

Had some AWFUL squeaks and rattles coming from the top after installing the rack, RTT, and off-roading. This was due to the weak stock roof bracket having so much deflection.

I haven't seen much coverage of this, but I installed the JCR Offroad roof support and it's worlds better. This thing seems like it's actually made to handle the weight and not rattle apart. The OEM bracket is awful - way too much leverage out on the mount. I get why they did it, though! It was just to make it as easy as possible for the average Joe to take their top off.

Here's a quick video of the installation showcasing the damage the stock bracket was doing to the top/roll bar!

If you're going to use your Hooke Road rack (the weight of my RTT is ~120lbs) then DEFINITELY install this BEFORE installing the roof rack.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just installed the JCR Roof Support!

Had some AWFUL squeaks and rattles coming from the top after installing the rack, RTT, and off-roading. This was due to the weak stock roof bracket having so much deflection.

I haven't seen much coverage of this, but I installed the JCR Offroad roof support and it's worlds better. This thing seems like it's actually made to handle the weight and not rattle apart. The OEM bracket is awful - way too much leverage out on the mount. I get why they did it, though! It was just to make it as easy as possible for the average Joe to take their top off.

Here's a quick video of the installation showcasing the damage the stock bracket was doing to the top/roll bar!

If you're going to use your Hooke Road rack (the weight of my RTT is ~120lbs) then DEFINITELY install this BEFORE installing the roof rack.

I'd be curious to see if there's any long term wear on the underside of the roof where these new brackets are mounted after having a load bouncing around on top of it. It seems like Ford designed these tops to flex a bit and intentionally did not want them to be braced too much by the roll bar underneath.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd be curious to see if there's any long term wear on the underside of the roof where these new brackets are mounted after having a load bouncing around on top of it. It seems like Ford designed these tops to flex a bit and intentionally did not want them to be braced too much by the roll bar underneath.

I doubt it as the load is more dispersed than the stock mounting bracket. JCR has been around the block with Jeeps, so I assume they've tested this.

The flexing and sounds that this was making before the install weren't good. It was clear that it was stressing that bracket and backing out the factory bolts.

Have you ever taken off your factory roof?
Sponsored