First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not really. There is unlikely to be a magic battery made that will be an actual replacement for distance and/or the ease of filling a gas tank quickly.
I'm working with battery researchers right now and we can bring a dead EV battery to 90% charge in less than 10 minutes. The tech will be here by 2026 at most gas stations. By 2029 it will be everywhere and likely able to charge even faster.
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm working with battery researchers right now and we can bring a dead EV battery to 90% charge in less than 10 minutes. The tech will be here by 2026 at most gas stations. By 2029 it will be everywhere and likely able to charge even faster.
I donā€™t believe that for a second. What kind of battery? What power level? Size?

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From your mouth to Godā€™s ears. When the recharge times gets to less than 5 minutes, it will be game over for the ICE.

bstoked

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I donā€™t believe that for a second. What kind of battery? What power level? Size?
You donā€™t have to believe me. šŸ˜‚ . We are testing charging cables and various power sources on both hyundai ioniqs and teslas and we are at 12 minutes from 0 to 90%. I work with a government funded lab with private VC researchers in Colorado.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You donā€™t have to believe me. šŸ˜‚ . We are testing charging cables and various power sources on both hyundai ioniqs and teslas and we are at 12 minutes from 0 to 90%. I work with a government funded lab with private VC researchers in Colorado.
I believe you even less. You have no information on what you claim to be working on.

Sponsored

bstoked

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe you even less. You have no information on what you claim to be working on.
I donā€™t really care what you believe. You obviously donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I donā€™t really care what you believe. You obviously donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about.
Thatā€™s nice. Take a look back at the rest of the thread. Youā€™ve got nothing to backup what youā€™re saying.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Chill... Nobody has to convince you of anything, your opinion is irrelevant regardless of the outcome. You are never buying an EV, we get it, but nobody cares...

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most people said man would never fly or land on the moon. Thereā€™s no telling what technology will do. One thingā€™s for certain, the future will be a whole new ballgame.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How does that fast charging affect the life of the battery?

Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Chill... Nobody has to convince you of anything, your opinion is irrelevant regardless of the outcome. You are never buying an EV, we get it, but nobody cares...
I never said that. I said that EVā€™s are not for everyone because of their limited range and charge times. That is not an opinion it is a physical reality. Keep up.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is it possible to share a video of this? (obviously without doxing yourself or revealing any IP) Would be cool to see that charge % going up and up and up.

NinjahGoose

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I never said that. I said that EVā€™s are not for everyone because of their limited range and charge times. That is not an opinion it is a physical reality. Keep up.
I think you mean current EV's, what about the future? 800 volt architecture is just the beginning in extremely high rates of charge. Solid state is the next step and will allow for denser and denser batteries. It wouldn't surprise me if there are sedans with 1000 miles of range on a single charge with solid state architecture.

Once more EV's come out and a standard battery type and voltage is established it wouldn't surprise me if the longevity of the battery is no longer a consideration. With current tech 97% of a Lithium Ion battery can be recycled into a brand new battery, look at what ford is doing with their battery plant in TN. It could be feasible to one day see a simple battery replacement similar to replacing the 12v battery in ICE cars (just would require a service center due to size, weight, and high voltage) for EV's.

As for charging, Altis motors is already teasing their 1.5 megawatt charging.

Also, I say all this without ever owning an EV and am currently planning on reserving a Bronco as soon as order banks open. I just don't have blinders on when it comes to what the future will hold.
Sponsored