Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

400 miles on my Bronco but I believe my engine is in the affected window. For all we know the window is all Broncos as time will tell what the true affected range is.

Ford Bronco Another blown 2.7 UPDATE PXL_20220111_040514181
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So similar story to all the other ones here, car ordered in Jan 21, 4dr Black Diamond, October build, delivered early November, car has 1700 miles - Driving in a highway, racket starts, manage to pull over, wouldn't restart.

Dealer called, dropped valve, engine replacement needed.

I was on the road, so car is at a dealer about 30 miles from my house, that has been very nice, but i don't know at all.

So what are the options that people have been following? I did place a call to Customer Service, but they will take a few days to follow up.

I have owned a lot of cars, and this has never happened to me before - so advise welcome.

Thanks

L
Is it possible you contaminated the engine with any wax? ;)

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guess it’s good I lengthened my warranty to stretch 7 years.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The reality is that all of the statistical analysis, while interesting, is meaningless to the customer that shelled $50+k for a new car, which is now inoperable.

in addition you don’t know how long it will be and at best you might get some reliable Kia rental, and all because of a basic mechanical failure. This is not the turbos, or the electronic modules, or chips, it’s a valve, part of the basic engine design since engines they were invented.
Of course, the famous quote is ”there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.” One of my statistics classes used a text called How to Lie With Statistics, which the point was, don’t use fancy statistical methods to misrepresent the meaning of data. That may have been something SG was doing. Actually, she wasn’t doing that because she really had no data. But I thought it was interesting that she was taking a stab at it. Private companies and public agencies use statistical methods to accept something that was supplied to them, i.e., to make final purchasing decisions. But they have the advantage of clear, precise data. We really don’t have that here. So failing that, emotion takes over and we all get justifiably pissed off because, as you say, we’re shelling out $50k for a car that might become inoperable. FWIW, I’d be way beyond pissed off. And i bet Ford is pissed off that the faulty valves slipped through their statistical quality control procedures! Maybe they could use SG’s help.

Sponsored
OP
OP

69-300

Black Diamond
First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Of course, the famous quote is ”there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.” One of my statistics classes used a text called How to Lie With Statistics, which the point was, don’t use fancy statistical methods to misrepresent the meaning of data. That may have been something SG was doing. Actually, she wasn’t doing that because she really had no data. But I thought it was interesting that she was taking a stab at it. Private companies and public agencies use statistical methods to accept something that was supplied to them, i.e., to make final purchasing decisions. But they have the advantage of clear, precise data. We really don’t have that here. So failing that, emotion takes over and we all get justifiably pissed off because, as you say, we’re shelling out $50k for a car that might become inoperable. FWIW, I’d be way beyond pissed off. And i bet Ford is pissed off that the faulty valves slipped through their statistical quality control procedures! Maybe they could use SG’s help.
I 100% agree. Obviously Ford has many controls and I am sure some heads are rolling somewhere. Regardless of statistics, these are operational risks, and thus cost money, and while unlikely they will cost sales, they are surely providing unwanted noise. The key here is how the handle this. Early 2000s I had a Range Rover that, as expected, had some issues, nothing catastrophic though. Car was bought back, new one delivered, they even decked it out with options and Customer Service handled everything in an exceptional manner, and they have now a life long customer. Now that I think about it, wasn't that when Ford owned Land Rover....

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

400 miles on my Bronco but I believe my engine is in the affected window. For all we know the window is all Broncos as time will tell what the true affected range is.

Ford Bronco Another blown 2.7 UPDATE PXL_20220111_040514181
I'm 21-195 on my 2.7 and have 4200 miles....Maybe we got a good week lol

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes- this! No one has said this is a catastrophic failure rate- yet. But there is enough with the number of blown 2.7’s on this forum alone to be a little concerned and investigate further. Ford ain’t going to tell us shit- this would be a PR nightmare for them to own another debacle in the bronco release. It’s probably going to take a serious accident/lawsuit to get them to publicly do anything.
My hope is that they are working on this behind the scenes and that it is a narrow date range of affected motors. But I guess some on here don’t want to know anything for sure- good or bad- and just put fingers in their ears while we discuss potential issues. If that’s the case, there are lots of threads about fun topics for you to dine on.
It took Ford a while to admit, but there is a long list of engine failure issues since 2015 on new platforms.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The engineering groups at Ford are much smarter than the general public, they understand their products. Why do people think the factory is just a bunch of inbreds with hammers banging on engine blocks?
Who has said this? Got an example?

But, the engineers at Ford did release a hard top that turned out to be crap and has held up production since the beginning. Engineers are human and make mistakes too. Production line workers are human as well as part suppliers. Mistakes get made. No one knows yet if it’s a big mistake or an insignificant one. People are trying to find out.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do you have the list you can post?
Heres a short list of the top of my head that I can remember, most on the performance/truck side. I wont list the awesome unfixable DCT trans in the Focus, I got one of those too.

2011 Mustang GT Coyote first year before the redesign in 2015.

2015 Focus RS, they were built in Germany but the factory got the head gaskets mismatched with the 2015 Mustang 2.3 which caused them to blow ended up a pretty big TSB.

2015-19ish Mustang GT350 5.2 was a trainwreck, ate oil and dropped valves like they were candy, till today still a big replacement program Ford is eating.

2017-2019 2.7 / 3.5 F150 engines had plenty of issues in the valvetrain parts ended up with some big TSBs. The 3.5 mostly had rattle issues not so much complete engine failure.

2018 Mustang GT v8 DI engine first year has issues.

2021 Bronco 2.7 (bad batch or continued bad batch valve supplier issues). I haven't really seen anything else that would dictated the Bronco 2.7 is a problem child since most of the valvetrain 2.7 mechanical issues in the F150 were/are probably addressed.

zebraquick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Forte
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So happy I bailed on this 2.7 right about now... this absolutely sucks for everyone going through similar stories and I hate it for you.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get the hell off this forum and enjoy your meal with your family... Your chicken fingers are getting cold!
Happy to report that I made it home safe. Considered having it towed and calling an Uber, but most 2.7s blow around 2000 miles so I probably have another 500 reliable miles.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Changing my order to the 2.3 tomorrow. My spider sense just won’t stop tingling about the 2.7. Decades ago I had the same sensation about another subject. I failed to follow through and I got bit. I swore then never to ignore the spider sense again. Maybe this is the silver lining of to having to wait forever in Bronco order purgatory. Mayhem will be whipping a four cylinder.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Research the valve supplier issue............it will make sense then..........not acceptable, but you will have context.
Webasto? LOL
Sponsored