Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

Edsasso

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NFW
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a Bronco because I was in the market for a new vehicle and wanted something fun. However, it's a lot of money to spend on "fun", and this is my only vehicle. I'm considering something more well-rounded and practical, and the 4Runner was an alternative I considered before pulling the trigger on the Bronco.

The daily irritations of this vehicle are hard for me to ignore and take away from the excitement I once had with it. The hard top sucks. Yeah, it's great that you can take it off, but there are multiple air leaks that make it awfully noisy at highway speed. I have tried all the tricks mentioned on this forum and while there has been an improvement, it's still a very noticeable distraction. There are a couple gaps on the roof panel weather seals above the doors that the Ford dealership insists is "by design" but that's bullshit. It also pops sometimes going over bumps, and I have no convenient place to put it if I want to take it off. I'm concerned about its longevity as well given the snakeskin problem, the fact that one of my rear windows was recently leaking, and that the edges aren't sealed and expose the fiberglass layers.

The window indexing is so annoying. It has a noticeable lag no matter what. The up, down, up down reset instructions do not make a difference. I have to open the door a particular way for it to not catch on the weather seal. If it's freezing outside, I have to run a credit card along the bottom of the glass so the window can index. Otherwise I can't close the door. Also, if I have the door open when starting the engine, the window often un-indexes on its own and I have to wait for it to make up its mind before I can close the door.

Those are my two biggest problems with the Bronco.

I still like it overall but these two problems are a constant reminder that it doesn't have to be this way. It also makes me re-assess what I'm actually going to do with it. I think of really cool off-road places to go but I don't think I'll ever do it, and they don't need 35" tires to get there. I'm not going to push this vehicle to its limit ever. So what am I paying for? The cool factor and that's about it. When looking at accessories I don't really commit to anything built specifically for the Bronco because I want that money spent to be useful on any vehicle in the future. I don't want that value lost when I sell it because generally speaking, accessories do not add resell value to a vehicle.

I'm sure some of you roll your eyes at this. I know that suggesting a non-Bronco in a Bronco forum invites jokes and derision. But I'm spending a lot of money on a vehicle and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting it.
If our 2D Badlands had framed door windows(have had to have the driver window and door alignment adjusted 2x in 16k miles already) and a one piece hard top for noise reduction, I would have zero complaints. We'll never remove our top or front panels, our weather is either hot or cold with not much in between, it's always crazy windy, live on dirt roads with a 12 mile highway drive to town......so the top will never be off. The doors keep sand and rocks out of the cab too lol. When we have the doors off of our 71', it's like someone threw a shovel full of sand inside the cab after driving down our roads. I'm sure our situation is in the minority, but those two changes would be fantastic. Doors with framed windows can still be removed, we do on our 66-77 broncos before we hit the trail. If/when an aftermarket one piece 2D hard top becomes available, I'll buy one pronto.

LCDRBronco24

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had my Bronco now for 8 months. After assessing what I want out of a vehicle and what I actually use it for, the 4Runner looks like an appealing alternative should I decide to sell the Bronco in the future. Is anyone else considering trading their Bronco for the next-gen 4Runner, whenever it comes out?
HELL NAW!!!!!

bitter rivalry between my sister (who drives a 4Runner) and I with my Bronco.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Id never trade my Girl, but when its time for a family vehicle, id constant a 5th gen and keep my girl as Dads car

Sponsored

Tacoman

Raptor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Code Orange Braptor, 2022 Black Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have never understood why the 4 Runner is ever even in the mix....one similar vehicle to the Bronco would be a Wrangler, that's it. The 4 runner is a Pilot, Pathfinder, Explorer competitor....quit comparing it to a true SUV/Off Roader.......my opinion of course!

PanAfrica

Base
First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I won’t trade for 4 Runner, but I will be nearly first in line for the reintroduced Land Cruiser.
Hopefully in 2027, just in time for it’s 70th anniversary.

BirdDogger

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4runnerTRDP - 1997 Lexus LX450 Locked
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First of all buying a TRD pro is like paying $20 for a hot dog. A regular TRD or premium is like paying $20 for a really good steak. All your getting with a pro is a different grille, roof rack, and some floor mats that say PRO. Does it look better, yes. Worth the extra money, no.

I own a 19 TRD premium 4runner and has never given me one problem nor any recalls, still on the original brakes and have only had to put a set of tires on it. I take good care of it and I know it will keep on running.

I'm in the middle of a 3k mile road trip that we were going to take the wife's 2dr sas bd on. After reading the issue section of this site every day I decided to take the 4runnner because I don't want to be stranded with one of the many problems these things have.

I'm not a ford hater at all and do love her bronco, I'm just really disappointed that ford or any other American car company can't build something reliable.

As far as..... BLAH made in Japan.... Do you know that the Japanese assembly line is trained to spot any issues or problems. If someone finds one they are rewarded and they shut the line down until the problem is fixed. In the USA we just push that crap through, hope nobody notices, and have the I'll fix it later attitude. Piss f'n poor in my book. If toyota had the reliability of American vehicles they wouldn't sell any of them.

Will I trade the bronc for the new runner when it come out? Most likely yes because that was my plan from day 1

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It would have to be a multi-generational leap in improvements for the 4Runner. That interior is god awful

It cannot compete with removable doors or roof nor can it compete in the joys of driving IMO. Almost definitely a hard no

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No I would not trade my Bronco for a 4 runner. I love the Bronco and on my 2nd one already; the wife kept complaining about no room for off road trips in a 2 door so I traded for 4 door got SAS and 12 inch screen and front camera. I can't wait to try it out in Moab in May.

Really like it but my 2nd vehicle is a 2013 GX460 and this is my winter ride (got to keep salt off Bronco) love it and it does great off road and in snow. Have 33s on it with 2 inch Eibach lift and it is a beast, goes through huge snow drifts. I live on gravel road and drifts like crazy you should see it today with 40mph winds and 4 inches of snow not fit for man or beast outside today!

Also had a FJ that was great but so far I much prefer the Bronco!

Sponsored

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No removable doors
No removable roof
Made in Japan
No thanks
SG367Ix.jpg
For me, made in Japan would be a huge plus. Superior manufacturing processes = higher quality = greater longevity.

st3v

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

4runners are ugly now. Wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole. I'd like to see them fix the design and make it more rugged looking instead of soft. They can correct a bad design, like they did with the Prius recently.

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2006 F250, Ford 2023 Bronco Badsquatch w/ Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only way my Bronco is leaving my possession is when they pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel:LOL:

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 747CF363-1134-468B-B849-8B268D4D4C85
Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 7E709094-9E30-4B77-AF37-350308E5DF9F
Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? ACB180F5-86E4-4A97-BC40-24233BD83B97
Given my history with off road vehicles, probably not.
Doesn’t fit my theme 😉
Sponsored